what throttle bodys can swap onto 2.4 and what needs done - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what throttle bodys can swap onto 2.4 and what needs done
Monday, January 14, 2008 11:08 PM
Alright, sold my rsm racing TB and now i want to put on a BIG throttle body. Was thinking LT1 but not 100% sure how i would make it fit, how would i go about making all sensors work (splicing?) and would i need to weld up a adaptor with the tb on one end and the other end made to fit the gm s/c? Thanks.

Re: what throttle bodys can swap onto 2.4 and what needs done
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:46 AM
Good luck with the lt1 tb, its got duel 48mm or so tb plates lol. I believe you mean ls1 tb though. For the ls1 you would prolly have to have some sort of adapter plate made to adapt the size of the tb to the sc opening, also so it can be bolted on as Im sure the holes are very different. For the sensors I believe they are actualy the same but I could be wrong. Search for spyhunter, I know he has an ls1 tb on a custom sheetmetal manifold but Im not sure who else on here does.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:59 AM
making a adapter plate isnt a problem, to go above the normal m45 motor you must think outside the box as myself and others have done already have a design made up for the throttle manifold im going to call it. Just need to find a ls1 tb, if anyone knows of where i can get one fairly cheap let me know

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:51 AM
Ive seen them many of them sell on ebay for under like $100. You do have hpt dont you?Youll prolly want it with going that much larger of a tb since it will shift your power a bit higher.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:32 PM
icemike89 wrote:Ive seen them many of them sell on ebay for under like $100. You do have hpt dont you?Youll prolly want it with going that much larger of a tb since it will shift your power a bit higher.

Im thinking thats an automotive myth... More like it gives you better topend.

The biggest problem when putting a bigger TB on is making sure you have a wideband as adding a lot more airflow will cause you to run lean.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:30 AM
Well he'll have about 30mm more room for air to flow in, and being auto he'll atleast want to raise his shift points a bit if he hasnt.

Boosted, Im guessing your cars not done?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:22 PM
What is size of the opening on the end of the charger? Going larger than the opening is pointless. The ls1, vortec and northstar all use a 75mm butterfly. The cross sectional surface area of a 75mm TB is over twice that of the stock 52mm ld9 one. That means the equivalent WOT will probably be closer to 60-70% throttle rather than the 100% stock. Also, all of the GM engines that I've seen implement the same type of sensors (as in, if the sensor doesn't physically fit, you just splice them with your car's wiring). I know the ld9 IAC and TPS just plug into the Northstar, LS1 and Vortec TBs.
Wrench Monkey wrote:
icemike89 wrote:Ive seen them many of them sell on ebay for under like $100. You do have hpt dont you?Youll prolly want it with going that much larger of a tb since it will shift your power a bit higher.

Im thinking thats an automotive myth... More like it gives you better topend.

The biggest problem when putting a bigger TB on is making sure you have a wideband as adding a lot more airflow will cause you to run lean.

If you open the TB to WOT then you lose needed intake air velocity on the low end for filling the cylinder and as the cylinders' stroke moves faster (higher RPM) a larger TB provides the needed mass of air to supply the cylinders without choking the cylinders. If you are drag racing, and have the provisions to set PE lower than stock, you could always adjust the throttle plate with relation to RPM yourself and have the best of both worlds.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:49 PM
icemike89 wrote:Well he'll have about 30mm more room for air to flow in, and being auto he'll atleast want to raise his shift points a bit if he hasnt.

Boosted, Im guessing your cars not done?

my shiftpoints are at 6800 right now, stock is 6200. Got some more tricks up my sleeve i will let everyone know very soon. All im saying is, im the third person that i know of to do this. , and by that i dont mean doing this TB swap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search