Flowmaster Series # Question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Flowmaster Series # Question
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:56 PM
Hey guys, just a quick exhaust question. After reading through a bit I've seen mixed feelings towards Flowmaster. From what I'm seeing a lot of people think they are too loud. My question is this; with 2.25 piping which Flowmaster series muffler would be relatively quiet (from what I'm seeing not the 40? idk) Like what is the difference between each series? Also, with which types would I definitely need to get a resonator for so I don't run into trouble with the cops around here? I'm really not sure how loud these things are so if anyone can give me an idea of what I'm dealing with that would be awesome. I'll probably go with a Magnaflow resonator if I need one, I've read pretty good things about those. The car its going on is a 97 2.2 with just an intake. I want it to be kind of low key but noticeable when I stand on it a little.

And don't flame me for not searching, I just read like 50 flippin pages

Re: Flowmaster Series # Question
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 5:50 PM
Deltaflow 60 or 70 seems like your best bet. But personally, I'd go with a Dynomax Super Turbo as they flow much better than anything Flowmaster makes (So I hear...). And while you're at it, see about fitting a 22" glasspack muffler just after the cat (Don't worry... It won't restrict it more.) to act as a reasonator to help quell the loudness more. Oh yeah... Since I'm here, lemme tell ya something: If all you have & are going to do is just the intake piece & the exhaust minus header, you don't need 2.25"... 2" with mandrel bends (No pipe crimping on the inside of the turns) all the way out to the end of the tailpipe will do just fine.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:22 PM
i have 2 1/4 and i got the 40 series and it has a nice tone to it stock header and stock cat.

5 seconds to find another street...

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 9:36 PM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:Deltaflow 60 or 70 seems like your best bet. But personally, I'd go with a Dynomax Super Turbo as they flow much better than anything Flowmaster makes (So I hear...). And while you're at it, see about fitting a 22" glasspack muffler just after the cat (Don't worry... It won't restrict it more.) to act as a reasonator to help quell the loudness more. Oh yeah... Since I'm here, lemme tell ya something: If all you have & are going to do is just the intake piece & the exhaust minus header, you don't need 2.25"... 2" with mandrel bends (No pipe crimping on the inside of the turns) all the way out to the end of the tailpipe will do just fine.

I plan on doing more mods as money allows so I wanna get 2.25 now so I won't have to later. But definitely some good ideas man, thanks!

Casper wrote:i have 2 1/4 and i got the 40 series and it has a nice tone to it stock header and stock cat.

How loud is it? Cause I'm not trying to attract too much attention.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:32 AM
Casper wrote:i have 2 1/4 and i got the 40 series and it has a nice tone to it stock header and stock cat.

a nice tone? Are you kidding me? I had just the flow master muffler on with stock piping including the cat and res and its was still raspy as hell. Yes I am talking about the 40 series. 40 series is their least restrictive street exhaust. Of course its going to be loud. It sounds like @!#$ too! I would recommend something made more for a 4 cylinder. Like the dynomax, they do sound a hell of a lot better. I threw that 40 series on my truck, it sounds like its supposed to be there now!

GAWD! My cav would idle louder than my buddies car cruising with his full exhaust! That was annoying! Now I have a cherry bomb res and walker quiet flow. Made a huge difference!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:40 PM
not all cars are gonna sound the same, same with lowering ur car its always slightly different...

but anyways i had 2 flowmaster 40 series deltaflows w/ 2.25" cat-back on my old '96 and let me tell u it sounded great, no rasp at all just a nice deep tone.. i had more than afew local J owners tell me it was one of the nicest sounding exhausts on a J they heard... at idle it had a nice rumble to it, never once did i find it too loud inside or outside the car... i was gonna put this same setup on my '97 but i plan on doing a full header back system this time around and am not sure if it would sound good or not and i dont wanna have to pay more to fix it if i dont like the sound...

------
http://corpsemangler.fortunecity.com
Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:14 PM
40 series on a cav is a no no from my own personal experience

daily: 99 civic Si
deceased: 95 cavy '00 LD9 auto swap (vandalized)
Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:53 PM
This is all very confusing...everyone seems to have a different opinion on these things...but I appreciate the input guys!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:54 PM
Oh and also from what I'm reading the 40 is the least restrictive and the higher the # the quieter it is? Maybe? Or I might have misunderstood that...

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:21 PM
40 series sound obnoxious on our cars. im pretty sure a 60 series sounds decent, but its been a while since ive heard one. my bro has a dynomax super turbo on his 2.2 sonoma which is pretty much the same engine as a 2200 cav, and it sounds damn good.

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:19 PM
^Yes, it's the same engine (From what all I've seen). The only difference seems to be in the tuning, more or less. This is perhaps because truck applications hve looser standards to met than the pass-car apps do for the same engine in the same year. And I agree, it does sound good in the truck application seeing how I've got have it on my truck with the same engine (The LN2) as your brother. Shame I don't have room anywhere along the pipe for a resonator install like you guys. Except at the very end... Like a tip. I've also heard the Flowmaster Deltaflow 50 on a LN2 S-truck in a clip on YouTube that was made by one of the guys at s10planet.com... Very nice. The sound of it reminds me of the sound of the old bi-valve 4-cyl English sports cars like my dad raced back in the day. They had a deep, throaty note to them... Not at all tinny or raspy like those damn cheap-ass, cheesy "Tuner" mufflers that are waaaay too big on the inside & at the outlet. That bigness just makes it act like a megaphone that screams "Look at me! I got no sense!", instead acting like a muffler which is meant to quell the loudness of the exhaust like a good muffler & exhaust system design (Especially in a street app) should.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search