Intercooler on Naturally Aspirated engine? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intercooler on Naturally Aspirated engine?
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:05 AM
I just had a probably stupid idea, but I've never heard anyone mention it before. What if you used an intercooler on a naturally aspirated car? I was driving my Sunfire during a particularly cold morning and noticed that it felt a lot more powerful.

I know it's dumb, but it's no dumber than just sticking and exhaust/intake on the car for 1000+ dollars just to make 5-6hp. With this intercooler deal you could probably make the same, and all for a lot less money.

I dunno... anyone think it'd work?

Re: Intercooler on Naturally Aspirated engine?
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:12 AM
I know they make a kit for the honda civic, but im not sure what it would actualy do! Colder air is always better, but cold compressed air is the best!!!!!
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:16 AM
Knoxfire wrote:

I know it's dumb, but it's no dumber than just sticking and exhaust/intake on the car for 1000+ dollars just to make 5-6hp.

yes it is.... it's ALOT dumber, there's a reason you have never heard of anyone doing it.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:18 AM
Phil Lindsay wrote:I know they make a kit for the honda civic, but im not sure what it would actualy do! Colder air is always better, but cold compressed air is the best!!!!!

they make intercooler kits for lots of cars... andevery single one is meant for a boosted car. Unless our taking about whats commonly referred to as an "interfooler" which is basically an intake run to the front bumper with a filter that some what almost resembles an intercooler ub not really.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:43 AM
putting a regular intercooler on an N/A engine would be dumb. it would be a "pre-cooler" not an intercooler, and would not chill the air down much and would just be a restriction in the intake, the IATs would be back to normal the time it got to the engine

Try the CryO2 bulb system to chill the air before it comes into the engine on an N/A car, that may actually help an N/A.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:45 AM
http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=4

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:52 AM
The intercooler is just going to be a restriction in your intake. Also your going to be cooling say 60 degree air(assuming the air filter near the front bumper) with 60 or even 55 degree air. There isnt a big enough temperature difference(if any) to promote effective heat exchange.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:07 AM
intercoolers are designed to cool the heated, compressed air from a turbocharger with ambient air.

how are you going to cool ambient air with ambient air?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:09 AM
right, an intercooler is meant to heat compressed air, which is MUCH hotter than air being sucked in. You can not get the IAT's below ambient temp, which is what you are sucking in n/a.

So, basically it would just be a restirction, and impede performance, although i have seen it done....

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:24 AM
CRYO2.

Srsly.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:48 AM
I didn't think this through much did I?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:54 AM
Knoxfire wrote:I didn't think this through much did I?

Nope. Not at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:07 PM
You probably just had a misconception about the way intercoolers work. I know I've thought of something similar to this before, and then I researched how they worked and saw that it was pretty silly. Now we know

Fusion 9 Design // For all your web design needs!
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:19 PM
Bumper Killer (Ron Carvalho) wrote:You probably just had a misconception about the way intercoolers work. I know I've thought of something similar to this before, and then I researched how they worked and saw that it was pretty silly. Now we know

hehehe...

I should have thought about the role that the turbocharger plays in the movement of air (Sucking/Pushing air through) for the IC to be able to do it's job, but for a second there it all made sense. I'll go to sleep less dumb tonight heh...
Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:23 AM
Phil Lindsay wrote:I know they make a kit for the honda civic, but im not sure what it would actualy do! Colder air is always better, but cold compressed air is the best!!!!!

They dont make an intercooler kit for N\A Honda's. What they make is a mock intake system thet puts a Filter in the frong bumper and looks like a really cheap ass intercooler/filter.

Civic front mount intake (fake intercooler)

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:37 PM
Josh G. wrote:

They dont make an intercooler kit for N\A Honda's. What they make is a mock intake system thet puts a Filter in the frong bumper and looks like a really cheap ass intercooler/filter.

Civic front mount intake (fake intercooler)

X2. And they don't make intercooler kits for ANY n/a car. They are made to work with FI.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search