Arp main stud kit - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Arp main stud kit
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:29 AM
two questions.
1) would this be a good idea for a turbo build? ive seen that GM uses those really long studs and ive also
heard that you have to make the holes bigger?
2) wheres the best place to order these? turbo tech racing use to have them i know but i dont see them any more. they were $100

Re: Arp main stud kit
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:30 AM
Yes, they are a good idea for a turbo build

Carcustoms.net or TTR ( maybe A Plus )

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
LD9 for Life
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:34 AM
all i found was just the head studs, im looking for the main studs
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:51 AM
The reason why we removed them, was that there was only 10 bolts in that kit, and the ecotec takes 20 bolts. Also some stated they were to short. So you may want to contact ARP first, and if you find the part number, email or PM it to us, we can get it

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:06 AM
ok i just sent them an email and are waiting to hear back. so they were shorting us the proper amount of bolts then?
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:16 AM
IMPORTPERFORMANCEPARTS.NET or .COM thats where I got my main bolts and head studs!
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:52 AM
they dont have them on that site for the ecotec. they only have them for the non-ecotecs, checked there too lol
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:56 PM
waste of money.

with as stout as the ecotec is, the girdle construction and the mains having 4 bolts not to mention the outward 2 bolts (essentially 6 bolt mains)

I don't think it'll be an issue.

if you plan on tearing the engine down regularly well... it may be of use but otherwise I wouldn't mess with it.
especially if you haven't removed or done anything with the crankshaft. no need to replace bolts just for the sake of replacing bolts.

and just fyi.. the arp head studs i have in my car is because i find myself swapping heads often.. figured i'd save money by using the studs that are reusable than using OEM torque to yield bolts

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:43 PM
Using them on my LD9 build......

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:12 AM
well i have an eagle crank that ill be installing so wouldnt that fit the discription lol
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:20 AM
not unless you plan on changing out that crank a couple times.

What pj is saying is they really arent neccesary due to the construction of the eco.

The only time you will benefit from them is if you plan to be tearing down and rebuilding, therefore saving money on tty bolts.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:28 AM
Are the LD9 mains torque to yield bolts?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:33 AM
o ok i got ya now. but as far as like head studs/head bolts ill be ok with the arp's?
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:37 AM
as far as the ld9 goes...i couldnt tell you off hand, but i am sure someone know around here.

as far as using them with the head, I would recomend it. Even if you dont plan to take your head off and on....at least it makes it easier if you need to change a head gasket, especially if you pop one at the track. Then you could actually change it without having to have an extra set of bolts laying around.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:46 AM
ok cool. now i have another question since u brought up head gaskets what size would i need if i have
a 86.5 mm bore? would i need to go with an 87mm?
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:54 AM
you can go slightly oversized.

what gasket are you planning on running, and what are your plans for the motor??

Theres a lot of eco guys here, I would recomend asking them what they have run and what they liked/didnt like about thiers.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:14 AM
i was thinking about using the cometic metal head gasket and running about 15psi as far as boost goes on a
fully built motor (forged internals and such with clevite bearings and comp cams)
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:26 AM
WHITECAVY(Almost there) wrote:Are the LD9 mains torque to yield bolts?

I'm pretty sure they are. Plus the LD9 has two bolt mains, so ARP Main studs are a VERY good idea for a serious Twin Cam or Quad4 build.
Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:56 AM
ok i just got my question answered for the arp ecotec performance fasteners and they told me:

I only show listed for a GM 2.2L Ecotec motor is a head stud
kit which is part # 231-4701.

so theres the answer to all of that. lol. so what do i do about head bolts or does that come included?
Sunday, May 25, 2008 12:21 PM
I'm using both ARP head and main studs on my LD9 along with custom billet main caps from Pro-Gram Engineering.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search