Ecotec Cosmo intake not too shabby! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Cosmo intake not too shabby!
Friday, June 06, 2008 2:23 PM
Just thought I'd share that I recieved my Cosmo racing intake today and installed it on the new (to me) 04 LS Sport auto sedan. I had to wiggle and get everything in the perfect position, but it fits fine now with a very slight rub on the hood insulation. The supplied filter is a gauze style like a K&N that needs oil, so I felt better about that compared to other cheap intakes that use dry filters. Its plenty quiet for normal driving too. For the money compared to other intakes out there, I'm very satisfied.

JLP
94 Cav<---- Daily duty
79 Monte<--- 11.59 @ 113.85

Re: Ecotec Cosmo intake not too shabby!
Friday, June 06, 2008 3:18 PM
I had it when I first did my eco swap, it hit my hood so we had to cut it and use the stock air box. It was an ok product I thought.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Friday, June 06, 2008 3:33 PM
Thats what I'm using now and its pretty nice for the price, i'd say. The powdercoating has held up perfect but the elbow is really tight to try and get it on right. Nice and throaty when you get on it at anything over 3k rpm. Does yours rub up ever so slightly against the drivers strut tower though? Didn't have any problems with the hood whatsoever but i have a sunfire so maybe my hood clearance is slightly different. The only real complaint i can say about it though is that it took a heck of a lot of struggling to get the sensor in the super tiny grommet they installed on it!

----------------------------
<<<<<2003 Sunfire Sedan>>>>>

Sunday, August 17, 2008 1:06 PM
I'm having hood issues on my 98 Eco-swapped Cav Z24... I think I'm going to grind off part of the throttle body cable bracket so the tube can sit lower... otherwise, it sits way too high.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:00 PM
I was thinking about going with that one also. I figured there is probably a way to take out a 1/4 inch somewhere with a little modifying. Post pics.

2004 Cavalier. Razzi. (Sold)
1998 Corvette. Some mods.
1992 Typhoon. Lots of mods.
1994 Civic VX 44MPG
Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:18 PM
John Lenko wrote:I'm having hood issues on my 98 Eco-swapped Cav Z24... I think I'm going to grind off part of the throttle body cable bracket so the tube can sit lower... otherwise, it sits way too high.

just be careful when you grind it that you don't jam your throttle open with your intake..

Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:41 PM
Not too worried about that... the way the wheel's set up, it gets further away from the top of the assembly as the wheel turns... so if anything, it wouldn't get stuck at anything other than idle.

I may try it tomorrow... it's not like I don't have other cars to drive

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:53 AM
I have the cosmo intake on my 03 Sunfire. I will second the statements that he slightly rubs the underside of the hood (not the strut tower) when closed and that it sounds really "throaty" above 3K rpm.
Monday, August 18, 2008 5:34 PM
I've had mine a year now, had it rub on both hood and strut tower at different times, ended up making the end near the tb slightly oval shaped so it wouldnt rub and cut a tiny bit off of it. Oh and bent the bracket a bit. But it was worth it, nice sound, cheap, i'm happy. Don't want to threadjack but anyone have their short shifter by any chance? Opinions?
Monday, August 18, 2008 6:57 PM
is the pipe size of the cosmo intake 3"? i know the rubber elbow must neck down to 23/4" for the tb
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:17 AM
John Lenko wrote:Not too worried about that... the way the wheel's set up, it gets further away from the top of the assembly as the wheel turns... so if anything, it wouldn't get stuck at anything other than idle.

I may try it tomorrow... it's not like I don't have other cars to drive

I jammed my throttle when I first installed mine actually, the rubber was squeezing to the point that it was JUST touching the linkage and would lock the RPMs at about 1200 and just sit there because it couldn't get any lower. After some troubleshooting and a little persuasion it worked out fine. I drove the car for 2 years with the Cosmo on it and LOVED the sound. Actually it sounded better than the K&N Typhoon that I have on my car now, but the Typhoon is a MUCH better fit.

On the Cosmo intake page for the cavalier ecotec's...the blue one is my car pictured. DO NOT put the Cosmo racing tag on your pipe like I did because it will rub the insulation even more. I fixed my piping and everything now. I had to order a replacement grommet for the air temp sensor because after 2 years it split in multi directions. To the point that the sensor fell out of it while driving. Aside from that though I actually really liked the Cosmo. Not to mention it has less bends and they're all smooth...hence why it's a little louder at WOT.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:57 AM
Where did you order the grommet from? Mine is starting to crack a little too.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:58 PM
Sappa wrote:Where did you order the grommet from? Mine is starting to crack a little too.

All I did was send a message to their support. My contact there is Paul. He's very helpful.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:54 PM
Sounds like everyone is having a lovely time with this intake. It was absolute crap. Poorly designed. It would sit over and above the throttle body with no way of getting the elbow on. It would also hit my battery which was not cool in my book. Sitting on top of the throttle cable bracket was also BS. I sent the paper weight back used and got my money back albeit 75% of it back. I waited patiently and found a BNIB Typhoon intake for $119.99 shipped. I'd rather pay for a trusted name that drops right on in. Lesson learned. Quality over cheap anytime.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:05 PM
kab00m wrote:Sounds like everyone is having a lovely time with this intake. It was absolute crap. Poorly designed. It would sit over and above the throttle body with no way of getting the elbow on. It would also hit my battery which was not cool in my book. Sitting on top of the throttle cable bracket was also BS. I sent the paper weight back used and got my money back albeit 75% of it back. I waited patiently and found a BNIB Typhoon intake for $119.99 shipped. I'd rather pay for a trusted name that drops right on in. Lesson learned. Quality over cheap anytime.

I agree. that's why I'm using the K&N Typhoon now....but I drove with the Cosmo for a little over 2 years without too much trouble once it was on....it was just getting it on that was a PITA. I bought my K&N used off of a fellow JBO member for $100 shipped. The filter wasn't even dirty so I was more than pleased. I agree with the "drop in" ability of the high end intakes. I think it took me maybe 10 minutes to install this intake.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search