I want more HP - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I want more HP
Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:31 PM
I have a 2001 Ls sport with the 2.2 (non ecotech) in it. So far I put a Cold air intake, Magnaflow exhaust. I dont have a lot of money left over. Any cheap HP makers. I have heard of accelerator bossters but have never seen one on a 2.2.

Re: I want more HP
Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:02 PM
I would venture to say that cheap and HP makers do not belong in the same sentence.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:09 PM
^ Quite true. Especially since he has an old junky 2.2
Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:13 PM
They didn't make a ls sport in 2001.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:33 PM
Ryan Phillips wrote:I have a 2001 Ls sport with the 2.2 (non ecotech) in it. So far I put a Cold air intake, Magnaflow exhaust. I dont have a lot of money left over. Any cheap HP makers. I have heard of accelerator bossters but have never seen one on a 2.2.

those boosters are garbage. if a product claims 10-20 hp gain at only $50 then its a scam.

but if you want power, you need to spend money. and you said yourself, you dont have a lot of money

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:26 PM
OK thanks. My bad its a 2001 LS not a Sport.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:41 PM
The LN2 (That's the RPO for what you have) sadly doesn't have a big amount of support in the aftermarket, because it's seen as "Just an econo-car engine...". Any support it does recieve that's "bolt-on" is created sheerly out of recognition of performance engines that are placed in the same platform, by suppliers that know that the platform is popular in the current enthusist market. That and hobbists that only race said platform on closed-course tracks in events that have rules that say any design of OHCs aren't allowed.

Truth is, the LN2 is a learning engine. Anything you learn while building one can be applied (In way of principles) to any other engine. And it's a real challenge to boot, since there are so few bolt-on parts for it. Fortunately, many have gladly accepted the challenge & made several discoveries in experimentation on what to & not to do, and have posted them here and in other forums as guidelines to follow when taking up the challenge & experimenting in the build-up of one for one's personal use.

Use the Search function & you'll find a plethora of answers relating to making power with the LN2, and pay close attention to the findings by MadJack, OHVnotec & slowolej. These guys are the gurus of the double-deuce, and will be of more help than perhaps anybody with it. Bye now & good luck, and remember my signature:

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, October 13, 2008 12:19 AM
If you want some cheap power (albeit not much), you could add a pacesetter header (get the ceramic coated one), and a magnaflow cat. These really aren't power engines. You won't make good numbers without a lot of money. Be happy with the results you get from what's available.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, October 13, 2008 4:33 PM
Best HP per $ ratio is in nitrous. Simply put. a 150 shot on my camaro brought hp up 27%.

Monday, October 13, 2008 4:42 PM
Sheldon Cramp wrote:Best HP per $ ratio is in nitrous. Simply put. a 150 shot on my camaro brought hp up 27%.

Yup, that's the cheapest you can get. 50 extra hp for 400 bucks.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:50 AM
thanks, I think I will just put a BMI Tranny tuner and call it good for now!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:21 AM
those hp adders are just moth balls that the gas flows through to boost the octane
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:26 AM
BMI Tranny tunner, changes the way the tranny shifts under extreme torque and get you moving faster

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:52 AM
Ryan Phillips wrote:BMI Tranny tunner, changes the way the tranny shifts under extreme torque and get you moving faster

Got a link? BMI Tranny tunner...

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:09 AM
accelerator booster and BMI tranny tuner, you care to elaborate on both of these things or possibly povide links to these things? I've never heard of either of them, but they sound like cheap ebay scams.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:25 AM
Today 1:09 PM
Luis Marroquin
Quote Reply

accelerator booster and BMI tranny tuner, you care to elaborate on both of these things or possibly povide links to these things? I've never heard of either of them, but they sound like cheap ebay scams.

thats exactly what they are
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:31 AM
accelerator booster

BMI Tranny tuner

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:33 AM
WOOT!!!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:15 PM
Damn I need one of those accelerator boosters. Then I could jump over the river when that stupid draw bridge is up. In stead of sitting and waiting 15 minutes.

The Outlaw
98 Pontiac Sunfire (Christine)
2200 5spd
Red with Black racing stripes.

Don't let the punks get to you. If they can't say anything helpful its because they probably
have VERY LITTLE IF ANY MECHANICAL SKILLS . Talking crap is just their way of hiding that
fact. They figure the more crap they say the less likley anyone will know how dumb they are.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:13 PM
Sorry it B&M shift improver

try http:www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4986

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:49 PM
I trust B&M. They don't make crap. I have two of their shifters. A Megashifter and a Z-gate. Nothing is more fun than a ratchet shifter. Hell I'd put a Quicksilver in Christine if she was an auto.

The Outlaw
98 Pontiac Sunfire (Christine)
2200 5spd
Red with Black racing stripes.

Don't let the punks get to you. If they can't say anything helpful its because they probably
have VERY LITTLE IF ANY MECHANICAL SKILLS . Talking crap is just their way of hiding that
fact. They figure the more crap they say the less likley anyone will know how dumb they are.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:07 AM
The B&M Shift Improver kit is worthwhile installing. The lil' plug-in switch they make isn't, since all it does raise preesure levels. I would gladly install the former & saty away from the later, if I were you. And don't go Full-Race with it from the get-go... Unless you like enduring neck-snapping shifts everytime you drive it, no matter how you drive it.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:54 AM
sorry to brake it to you though, the B&M unit will not add more horsepower. it can make the car faster by a tenth or two if it firms the shifts up and makes them happen faster.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:42 AM
I now, put it will give me some more torque on the low end witch seems faster!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:03 PM
i need a bmi tranny kit so i can go back to 2006 and keep my sunfire

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search