Cavalier 2.4L Beryllium Copper Springs! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavalier 2.4L Beryllium Copper Springs!
Saturday, November 01, 2008 4:30 PM
Hi, I had been looking for that special springs on Ebay and I cant find it. I would like to have em. All 8 Beryllium Copper Springs for my Cavalier. If you can relist it back on Ebay. I will be happy to buy them right away! If you can ?

Re: Cavalier 2.4L Beryllium Copper Springs!
Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:17 PM
Waste of money

Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:03 AM
I have heard it is similar to the "racing chip" you can buy from e-bay for a buck... Not worth the money.

98z24, lowered 2", aem intake, cat-back striaght pipes!, cop ligths in the front and rear, 18" liquid metal's, primer black, tint, full audio and video.
Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:11 AM
Search: 2.2 ICM/Coil Swap

Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:37 AM
sUiCiDe wrote:Waste of money

Not true.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:07 PM
John Higgins wrote:
sUiCiDe wrote:Waste of money

Not true.

x2

5 bucks for these from greg is def not a waste of money. when was the last time these were ever replaced? it may not be a huge necessity but lay off the big mac and fries for one night... some people have never replace these on a 12 or 13 yr old car, it may be a good idea.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 4:29 PM
Not a waste at all. There are lower resistance, and well just better all around.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:20 PM
-MD- LD9 wrote:Not a waste at all. There are lower resistance, and well just better all around.

It is like getting 8 or 10 mm plug wires for a 2200.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:48 PM
Coil swap would be much better served

Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:23 PM
sUiCiDe wrote:Coil swap would be much better served

proof....

not trying to call u out but there really is no backing to that, just a theory.

Monday, November 03, 2008 7:32 AM
no one has ever really proved that the ICM and coil springs for the 2.4 are an issue... most people when they do the coil pack swap tend to use the MSD stuff, which is stronger. if you give the engine a stronger spark, i could see how that would lead to an improvement.

i happen to have another set of these springs from greg for the 2.4 (upper and lower springs) kicking around some where. if greg cant provide them, we can talk about it. im sure shipping from him would be cheaper than me (then again, i have no idea where your from as your profile is empty).

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH

Friday, November 07, 2008 10:11 AM
Quote:

proof....
not trying to call u out but there really is no backing to that, just a theory.

Too many people have done this with great results over the stock coil over plug setup by GM.
Also, most have never had anymore issues with heatsoak to the coil pack housings or the coils themselves with the external DIS mod.
Sometimes it's not always about more power or getting big gains but about reliabliilty with added sense of doing something different.

Quote:

no one has ever really proved that the ICM and coil springs for the 2.4 are an issue... most people when they do the coil pack swap tend to use the MSD stuff, which is stronger. if you give the engine a stronger spark, i could see how that would lead to an improvement.

As one that has used the factory DIS coils from the 2.2 when I first did mine, there was an improvement to the running of the engine, smoothness to the idle, and being able to use the proper .060 gap that could never be obtained with the stock coil over plug by GM.
Once I upgraded to the MSD coils and DIS2 6211 setup, it's smooth as silk with quick revs, and quicker startups.
I recollect the many flames I got once I presented this on the JBO and how everybody wanted proof and dyno numbers with before and after tallies of the mod.
I didn't do the mod for that but to have reliability of ignition and better spark over the factory setup which was seen with the factory 2.2 coils.
Do the research on the differences of the coils, their windings, primary resistances,secondary resistances, and it all adds up to better spark. This is the research I did to come up with why I wanted to do this mod and nothing more. It works.

Quote:

Waste of money

And the springs that Greg sell are not only less resistance than the factory springs but they don't corrode either.
Replacing these springs are like replacing your spark plugg wires on a car. Most people do this every so often but most of the LD9 owners don't ever think about changing out these springs. So yeah, they're worthwhile to have or purchase.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, November 07, 2008 12:14 PM
im glad that doing such a mod improved your idle and spark smoothness. ive never experienced a need to do the change over. i found most of my problems with idle and smoothness were taken care of by getting the fuel trims dialed in via HPT. prior to HPT, the fuel trims were out of whack. since the spark does not get stronger based on how much the fuel trims are out, the only way i see to correct that is to either solve the fuel trim dilemma or improve the spark.

your right ive never looked into the resistances of the coils between the 2 setups. seems you have done the research for yourself to merit doing the swap.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Friday, November 07, 2008 3:28 PM
Quote:

Too many people have done this with great results over the stock coil over plug setup by GM.
Also, most have never had anymore issues with heatsoak to the coil pack housings or the coils themselves with the external DIS mod.
Sometimes it's not always about more power or getting big gains but about reliabliilty with added sense of doing something different.

No one has proved that heak soak coils is a issue either. I have owned 4 2.4 powered cars. Only one of them has ever had to have coil swapped out. Lots of people who have done this mod thought they felt gains, just like people and the 2.3 intake manifold, and we know what has been found on that. I could seen the coil swap being needed on high power boosted cars, but on everyday n/a cars no. I have also noticed a difference with replacing the springs in my 2.4, can't say I gained power (and really would not expect it to). For the money this mod would be cheaper and easier, and look better.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 07, 2008 4:53 PM
I've seen and helped too many people with cracked coil housings due to heat and breakdown of the material that makes up the housing.
Many coils have been replaced on 2.4's from owners that had issues with mis fires and problems that led me to tell them their coils or housing is bad along with others that have gone through the same issue with the extenal DIS setup solving those problems.
You may not venture the forums that I do involving the 2.4 but the one that I do has alot of problems with the coils and housings.
It always comes down to prove this or prove that when it comes to something that seems successful to the owners that have made the move to external DIS.
I've always been the one to condone that if you daily drive your car for years, do a mod and feel a difference, it's no lie. Sorry but that's the way I feel.
Maybe most people don't pay that much attention to driving or their car but I do. I can feel all the little differences that I do to my car especially if it's driven daily. It's not a placebo effect that gives you that 'feel' when you do something that makes a difference in your ride.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, November 07, 2008 5:32 PM
Misnblu wrote:I've seen and helped too many people with cracked coil housings due to heat and breakdown of the material that makes up the housing.
Many coils have been replaced on 2.4's from owners that had issues with mis fires and problems that led me to tell them their coils or housing is bad along with others that have gone through the same issue with the extenal DIS setup solving those problems.
You may not venture the forums that I do involving the 2.4 but the one that I do has alot of problems with the coils and housings.
It always comes down to prove this or prove that when it comes to something that seems successful to the owners that have made the move to external DIS.
I've always been the one to condone that if you daily drive your car for years, do a mod and feel a difference, it's no lie. Sorry but that's the way I feel.
Maybe most people don't pay that much attention to driving or their car but I do. I can feel all the little differences that I do to my car especially if it's driven daily. It's not a placebo effect that gives you that 'feel' when you do something that makes a difference in your ride.

Just because you think you feel a difference does not always mean the difference is good, or for the better. I have learned that with many things, like the secret cams. I have read many times that people have issues and others say it is your IDI cover/coils, people throw money at it and problem not fixed. Truly what I think and you think does not matter. That is not what this topic was about. It was about the springs. simple truth for the money they are worth it.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 07, 2008 9:29 PM
And I agree.
I did the spring change many years ago with the RK spring. Like most, I didn't really feel any difference but the fact that I knew they were new and better, made me feel good.
I think we both agree on this.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, November 08, 2008 8:10 AM
hey guys whats up hey i still have sets if anyone is interested in them price went up a few bucks 7.00 shipped still a hell of a deal for this small mod.....paypal to one cav2envy@yahoo.com and also this is for the top coil packs and the lower spark booty inserts so u get the complete kit 8 springs for 7.00 shipped to your door .....thanks

Monday, November 10, 2008 7:34 AM
Greg you still didnt even send me the (8) 2.4 springs.... you sent me (4) 2.2 ecotec springs and I made a dispute with paypal. I canceled it because you said they were shipped and still nothing. That was like 2 months ago... So its either you dont give a @!#$, or you just honestly forgot.

Monday, November 10, 2008 7:53 AM
http://www.j-body.org/members/twincamcav/forum/

thats gregs activity here in the past 30 days... i would assume he just forgot.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Monday, November 10, 2008 7:57 AM
Agreed. Gregg would never cheat anyone, ever.
Good guy and very prompt in his service.
We are human and tend to forget. Good luck.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:37 PM
Caso60 wrote:Greg you still didnt even send me the (8) 2.4 springs.... you sent me (4) 2.2 ecotec springs and I made a dispute with paypal. I canceled it because you said they were shipped and still nothing. That was like 2 months ago... So its either you dont give a @!#$, or you just honestly forgot.

damn man i am sorry i did miss this one i need addy okay u got it in the mail tomm...

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:42 PM
yeah i just renewd my mebership i think on the 15th of oct stopped by to see whats up out here.....sorry and thanks guys to respond for me .....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search