power steering removal - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
power steering removal
Monday, February 09, 2009 10:50 AM
has anyone done this?

pros/cons?

im thinking about doing it!

Re: power steering removal
Monday, February 09, 2009 11:00 AM
Are you getting a rack made for manual steering, or are you going to run a loop in the existing lines at the rack?

why are you taking it out? weight? i like my power steering....

Monday, February 09, 2009 11:04 AM
ya i was wondering about this listneing.............

Monday, February 09, 2009 11:07 AM
I was going to loop it, my friend just did it to his integra gsr and its not a big deal with turning, its the same as long as your moving, just when the motion slows down its a little tough.
Monday, February 09, 2009 11:13 AM
the only real benefit to it is to free up the power thats robbed from the power steering pump.

since your is a 2.2 can't you just run a shorter belt for the track? wouldnt that be easier than completely removing the pump and looping the lines?

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Monday, February 09, 2009 11:19 AM
I probally could do that but I was going to make a custom pulley and bearing to mount where the pump was.
Like another idler pulley .....
Monday, February 09, 2009 11:34 AM
you should be able to run just a shorter belt with ease. no sense in adding a pulley

Monday, February 09, 2009 12:02 PM
for purposes of the tensioner and the way the belt routing is ..... you would need a dummy pulley!
Monday, February 09, 2009 12:04 PM
i guess your right there i am staring at this pic trying to find an easier way..

Monday, February 09, 2009 12:04 PM
Why would you WANT to do this. Is it your DD? if not then go ahead, but seriously. it will free up maybe all of 5-10hp. if that. thats not even something the butt dyno will feel.

Monday, February 09, 2009 12:05 PM
Borderlin3 wrote:Why would you WANT to do this. Is it your DD? if not then go ahead, but seriously. it will free up maybe all of 5-10hp. if that. thats not even something the butt dyno will feel.

5-10 hp on a cav is a good deal...and for free!!

not like it is hard to drive it w/o

Monday, February 09, 2009 12:16 PM
this is by far not by DD im going for the highest HP 2200. Im looking for over 400hp with a complete custom build!
Monday, February 09, 2009 12:17 PM
and i already dont have ac, or the ac delete pulley!
Monday, February 09, 2009 12:18 PM
Phil Lindsay wrote:this is by far not by DD im going for the highest HP 2200. Im looking for over 400hp with a complete custom build!

so just crank, wp and alt....hmm you could try and get your alt to move back and forth a little (it is doable) and get rid of the ps, the tensioner, and the idler pulley....

Monday, February 09, 2009 12:19 PM
maybe not hmmm i need a better pic lol

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:33 AM
your steering rack wont like you but if you loop it and do it right its not that bad. i've been driving without it since i started

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:36 AM
for now ive got everything attached on my 2.4 but im running 2.3 towers where the pump cannot bolt up to. ive got the pump sitting next to the battery and its not horrible, its something to get used to but i love it when taking corners or turns, you can feel the road and i feel safer.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:44 AM
by the way, id like to see some one dyno prove this to make 5-10 horse power. im not doubting it, but if it does... thats a very parasitic PS pump.

again, i would just attempt to bypass it with a belt. its at the back of the motor, so shouldnt be too bad. the tensioner might not be able to remove all the slack, but like mentioned above, the alternator can remove the rest.

take 2 measurements when you measure for the new belt. one with the alternator bottomed out as close as it can be to the motor, and one with it all the way out as far as it can go. find a belt within those sizes and you should be good.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:53 AM
you might see 1-2 hp thats all

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:06 AM
in a straight line you'll see no difference. there is no resistance in the pump unless you're turning the steering wheel, and it has to pump fluid into the rack to move. Turn your car on and turn the wheel. Pay attention to your RPM as you're turning it.. you'll see and hear the engine go under a bit of strain. But when steering input is zero and the pressure is equalized, there's no resistance on the pump.

So if you're looking for extra power for drag racing, I suggest looking elsewhere.

If you're looking for room to put things and the PS pump is in the way, then by all means.. loop the rack, removed the pump and remove the lines. A bit of a bonus for weight reduction (maybe 10lbs tops)

My biggest concern is torque steer for big power FWD cars.. not really sure how difficult it will be to handle. I've looped the rack on the skwirl but until I get to drive it, I won't know for sure how it feels/reacts to lots of power.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:15 AM
personally.. i dont think its worth it. it sucks balls to try and drive. ESPECIALLY trying to maneuver around in tight spots. and dont even think about auto crossing...

(fyi... an integra is lighter than a cavalier)

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:18 AM
i auto cross my car without powersteering all the time (a sentra, not a cavalier) and its way better than if you have it. with a little practice it becomes safer as you have more control over the wheel. at least it feels that way

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:09 PM
any bump steer?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:38 PM
no sir. mazda adjustable tie rods customized to fit. i take my suspetion/handling very seriously, to the point that i've hacked up expensive battle version parts to make it good lol

Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:06 AM
I have a 2.4 that I would like to do this on.

Gmanz24 was saying he installed 2.3 towers on his engine in order to disconnect the
power steering on the 2.4. I was wondering how much the towers cost and how much trouble this is to do?

The problem I am trying to correct is the fact that once in a great while I will touch the rear tires on a curb because of over steer.
I do not want that to happen any longer! I am thinking that taking off the power steering would correct this. Any feedback on this problem with over steer?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search