2.2 intake manifold and throttle body - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 intake manifold and throttle body
Friday, July 03, 2009 10:21 PM
To start off, i have a 2004 cavalier with the 2.2 ecotech with a k&n cold air, cat-back exhaust, and a header.

I was reading on here about switching to the 2.4 intake manifold and upgrading to the 30 Ib/hr injectors. I was also thinking about boring my throttle body out to 62mm. Then getting a tune.

Are these good ideas? And what kind of gains am i looking at?

Re: 2.2 intake manifold and throttle body
Saturday, July 04, 2009 9:11 AM
They are great ideas,Hard to say what the gains will be,But I have been told with the intake the top end is suppost to be better...And you can buy a 62mm TB,Just shop around try to find one used if you can,
Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:15 AM
What car can i get the 2.4 intake manifold off?...It'll be cheaper and easier for me to just bore it out, i have the use of a cnc machine so it'll be very easy to make a few measurements and make a small program.
Sunday, July 05, 2009 9:58 AM
am trying to go the same way as you.. lmk what you end up doing!

Sunday, July 05, 2009 10:07 AM
crateenginedepot.com,They sell a complete 2.4 kit,Then if you search on here there are a few a small mods you need to do to it to make it work,Also if you check out cobaltss forms you may find a used 2.4 set up,Also you can use the GM Cobalt SS injectors Green tops..I belive they are 45 pound..You will really need to get a tune done then.. they are plug and play..And you can find those used also..And if you can bore out the TB on your own good deal..
Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:49 PM
I've been on that site looking at the kit, they claim just the manifold upgrade 13 hp, but i was thinking about going to the junk yard and getting the 2.4 intake off a cobalt and then i think i'll need to make a small plate to get the right bolt pattern and also do the small mods. The 2.4 intake is off of the newer cobalt SS right?

About the injectors, i was planning on upgrading them but wasnt sure which ones to get. These Cobalt SS injectors Green Tops, i think i heard that they are 33 Ibs. But either why they sound good.

I'm either going to buy the hp tuner and tune it as soon as i get the parts on or see if i cant find a local guy to tune it for me.
Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:11 PM
Sounds good...let me know how it works..
Tuesday, July 07, 2009 6:10 PM
To keep everyone updated:
I'm probably getting the intake manifold tomorrow and pulling the throttle body off sometime either wednesday or thursday. The injectors im not sure whether im going to get used injectors off a cobalt ss or buy new ones. The tuning issue, im looking into the hptuner. If you know how to tune, im looking for someone to give me some tips and how to about tuning.

Is there anything else that i could do while i have the intake manifold off?
Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:22 PM
if the injectors have been uninstalled for a while you might need a new O-rng set or they might leak, jason advised me on that one.... buying new ones would be... friggin expensive, no point. Hptuners is what you need and just pay a professional if you don't know what you are doing....if you do that, try and get as many things installed at once, some mods will require a re-tune, so you don't want to be paying for tuning more then once or twice. And you do need tuning with the manifold just to be clear, you don't want to detonate your engine. So, you'd have to make an adaptor plate, use something for a gasket, maybe 1/32nd reinforced paper or cork, drill holes in the plate for the IAC for a jbody, buy some 1/2? hose for the vacuum, a double ended barb fittiing to tee the vacuum off the brake booster...and you'd want to buy new press fit gaskets for the intake manifold and throttle body...might be better to just buy the kit unless you can get the 2.4L manifold from a wrecker for CHEAP.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:33 PM
New update:
I just bought a spare throttle body to work on so that i can still run the car. Upon doing some measuring of the throttle body I learned that the stock TB starts at 62mm then tappers down to 58mm at the plate then increases back to around 60mm. Now the plan was to bore this TB out to a 62mm, but is that a 62mm straight through with everything at 62mm or 62mm at the plate with something like a 64 tapper and a 63mm bottom?
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:25 PM
Not positive, but I think you still need some taper there or else you get idle problems.... having the larger butterfly plate with the larger opening is the key, as a few mm increase all around equals a lot more air increase if you do the math.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search