3800 V6 S/C Series I transmission??? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3800 V6 S/C Series I transmission???
Sunday, August 30, 2009 10:13 AM
I am doing a a 3800 series I swap and i cant find any info on if you can use the 2.2, 2200, and G6 f40 manual transmissions with the series I like you can with the series II, And will i use stock sunfire axels or something else?

Re: 3800 V6 S/C Series I transmission???
Sunday, August 30, 2009 10:25 AM
Doing the series one is a huge waste. If your gonna do a L36/L67 swap your going to want series II.

As for trans series I and II can use both use those same transmissions.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 10:31 AM
WTF is with the stupid series 1 topics lately you realized its the same work to put in a series 1 as it is to do a 2 or a 3

let me guess you got the donor car for free from a grand parent

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:53 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:WTF is with the stupid series 1 topics lately you realized its the same work to put in a series 1 as it is to do a 2 or a 3

let me guess you got the donor car for free from a grand parent

most 1995 buick century's have a series 1 3800..i would know as i almost bought one for 800 bucks instead of my cavy.

Rememeber kids... spell check is your friend
Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:37 PM
sure i bet it does still not worth the swap series 2 is a much better version and 3 has better stuff yet i will be putting a 3 in my car once i kill this 2

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:25 PM
No the car was not free thanks for the remark though. But no i cant find any low mileage cars with a series II in it locally and i work like 60 hour weeks and i found a park avenue ultra with 49k on it for $400 bucks so i made a financial choice on that. So I DONT think its a waste of time seeing how it was gonna cost $1400 to build a third quad four. Just wish this forum would stick to the questions without the smart remarks more like supramania.com, But thats just my 2 cents thanks for the help though.
Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:37 PM
We are giving you advise from experience.

By you using the series I all you are doing is wasting your money. $400 great good now to make that heap of a motor worth while you spend how much more?

I think you need to do alot more research into this before you continue because your already off to a very bad start.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:55 PM
The series I supercharged in the 95 model has 225hp, the series II has 240hp, yeah im loosing 15 horsepower but im not in it to make it a rocket i just want a little more power than the quad four, im just not understanding why its "such a waste" ?
Sunday, August 30, 2009 10:28 PM
Dude, custom wiring, custom mounts, custom subframe, good luck with the 2200 trans surviving. Why do you ask if the G6 trans will work if your making seem like your on a budget? Its not cheap.

You want to do the swap because you got a good deal... stupid. Your asking for a world of pain, and fail. Sell the Buick, buy the correct motor.

Monday, August 31, 2009 6:07 PM
look at the size of the series 1 pulley on the s/c , its tiny and and doesnt make alot of boost , plus you cant tune it with the stock pcm

the series 2 has a 3.8" pulley makes about 7psi , and with the right mods you can down into the mid 2" range , plus you can tune it

swapping in the series 1 is like swapping in a 2.0 in place of a 2.2

Monday, August 31, 2009 6:51 PM
the M62 on the series 1 is under sized for tha tmotor its pretty much maxed think about htis the 2.0L cobalt has an M62 and the 3800 series 1 has an M62 the engine is almost double the size. theres a reason them went with the M90

whats milage have to do with it, its a 3800 my brother had 300 000km his before he blew it and it was his fault he blew it if you are doin this swap because of budget YOUR SCREWED theres so many cost that people over look. BTW i paid 700CDN for my series 2 donor car also if you work 60 hours a week your accually gonna be motivated to work on that car. i was laid off when i finished mine and i went 2 weeks without touching it because i just couldn't be bothered

take this how you want to but i have seen so many of these post and so far only 2 guys have come through with the talk, 1 is running and the other has parts and is doin his body work before he installs the engine

JBO since July 30, 2001

Monday, August 31, 2009 6:51 PM
CraiGM wrote:Dude, custom wiring, custom mounts, custom subframe, good luck with the 2200 trans surviving. Why do you ask if the G6 trans will work if your making seem like your on a budget? Its not cheap.

You want to do the swap because you got a good deal... stupid. Your asking for a world of pain, and fail. Sell the Buick, buy the correct motor.

If your going to go through the trouble of putting a s/c 3.8 in you j then you should do it big or not do it at all.

Monday, August 31, 2009 8:40 PM
As far as not beeing able to tune it im going to be megasquirting it, Im definatly not doing this on a budget and i have the ability, I have swapped my supra many times, 7mge to 1jze, then to 2jzgte which involved some pretty in depth wiring i just couldn't pass up the deal on this car. I know where i can get a series II s/c and manifold for $200, came off a car with 89k. Is it possible to swap those? Im guessing as long as the heads have the same flanges then it shouldn't be a problem.
Monday, August 31, 2009 8:49 PM
If your not doing it on a budget then get the right motor to begin with and stop with the bs "it was cheap" excuse.

It completely contradicts your "no limit budget"

Do it right the first time and save yourself the time and money of polishing a turd.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Monday, August 31, 2009 8:53 PM
From what i can tell the series one and series two use a different s/c...the series one uses a m62 and series two uses a m90.

Monday, August 31, 2009 9:00 PM
i understand that, but other than the super charger and emissions what is different on the series I, they both have roller rockers. Im just saying yeah i have a pretty hefty budget to work with but why waste money if i can put the series II supercharger on it and only have $600 in a low mileage engine. And will the series II s/c work?
Monday, August 31, 2009 9:03 PM
i really don't know...if you have a big budget...why not turbo the 3.8?

Monday, August 31, 2009 9:20 PM
Ive gone turbo with my supra and the reason im building the sunfire is because i want a more reliable dd, Turbo cars haven't ever been very good to me. I worry about taking the supra on long trips out of town. Just curious though, how much hp are the stock 3800 internals good for?
Monday, August 31, 2009 11:48 PM
I don't think anything swaps between a Series I and a Series II L67 engine... just find the right engine and do it up right.

wikipedia wrote:Introduced in 1995, the Series II is quite a different engine. Although the stroke for the 3.8 L engine remained at 3.4 in (86 mm), and the bore remained at 3.8 in (97 mm), the engine architecture was vastly changed. The deck height is shorter than the Series I, reducing weight and total engine package size. This required that the piston connecting rods be shortened 1 in (25 mm), and the crankshaft was also redesigned. A new intake manifold improved breathing while a redesigned cylinder head featured larger valves and a higher compression ratio. The result was 205 hp (153 kW) and 230 lb·ft (312 N·m), better fuel economy, and 26 lb (12 kg) lighter overall weight (to 392 lb (178 kg)). The 3800 weighs only 22 lb (10.0 kg) more than the High Feature V6, despite being an all cast iron design.

The new intake manifold greatly improved breathing. To meet emissions standards, an EGR tube was placed in the intake manifold to reduce combustion temperatures. This increases fuel mileage by a substantial margin.

The 3800 Series II was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1995 through 1997.

GM recalled 1.5 million vehicles with this engine on April 14, 2009.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 5:53 AM
If money isn't a problem, why are you settling for the dog because it's the only low-mileage one you can find? If money isn't a problem, you could either rebuild a Series II, or find one somewhere around the country that you could have shipped to you. People have put the Series I in their J-body before, and it was a complete dog. Lots of extra weight that gives you very little performance increase. Remember that peak numbers really don't mean sh!t when you talk about real-world performance. The overall curve is more important.

You would be far better off going with a 3400 than a Series I 3800, since it will be more of a straight forward swap, less weight increase, and numbers that aren't very far off from the Series I engine.

As for the G6 tranny, I see them brand new on eBay now and then for $300-500. While that hasn't been done in a J-body that I know of yet, it could be a worthwhile venture. It's heavier than the 5-speed, and I'm not entirely sold on the gear set that's in them, but I think it could still do well. It would work on a 3800 or 60 degree (3100/3400). There are some modifications needed with regards to the flywheel. I know someone has put one on a 3x00 before, and had to do a custom flywheel, but I believe there are other ways to do it. I haven't finished looking into it.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:08 PM
you have a big budget but are gonna use crap like a mega squirt ? mega squirt is a carb compared to the rest out there

stealing part your quote there john , lol

Quote:

wikipedia wrote

GM recalled 1.5 million vehicles with this engine on April 14, 2009.

the recall for the 3800 was stupid and gm still doesnt have it right , they blame a leaky valve cover gasket and that isnt the fire issue , its the dam retarded fuel lines

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:20 PM
cause the guy is stubern he expects outr help but when we give it to him he trys to make it seem like hes doin it right.

tell you what fawk megasquirt and put that money to a series 2 and get HP tuners. like i said before a 3800 milage means nothing there very reliable motors but a series 1 is not worth the time for the swap they changed too much stuff to make the 2 better you might aswell go with the 2 cause its the same amount of work and its a better foundation

theres a guy on here that swapped in a series 1 then he decided it wasn't that great and did another car and did a 2 theres a reason the 1 sucks

you might as well do a 1 with a stock 95-99 2.2L clutch and trans cause then your drive train will all be weak from motor right through the trans

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:13 PM
And you say your doing supercharged and not turbo cuz you want some reliability for this DD. Are you kidding me?

Crap series1 motor, not on a budget, since you can do megasquirt, but enough on a budget to not get the correct motor. Or to sell this POS you bought and use that money for the correct stuff. STUPID.

You want reliability, buy the correct 4cylinder motor. You want performance project, 3800 series2/3. You want both, build a LD9 or do a 3400 swap.

Stop wasting your time with this BS series1 motor just cuz you have it.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 3:21 PM
i have tried making this point numerous times to other members usually the gran parents gamve them a car with it they don't realize the motor is the cheapest part my clutch and flywheel cost me more them my donor car did and wiring is usally 5-800 depending on what you want and who does it, theres nopoint in running mega squirt because you can run a stock PCM with a tune

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:54 AM
Michael Gilstrap wrote:Ive gone turbo with my supra and the reason im building the sunfire is because i want a more reliable dd, Turbo cars haven't ever been very good to me. I worry about taking the supra on long trips out of town. Just curious though, how much hp are the stock 3800 internals good for?

I call bull@!#$. People that mod supra's do not waste time modding J-bodies.

Jon Mick wrote:
i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search