Fuel Issue(Fuel pump) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel Issue(Fuel pump)
Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:11 PM
First off, no i haven't gone through all the pages yet searching.. will after i post.. Kind of in a hurry.

Anyway on my way to work this morning car dies on me at a light. Get it pushed across the intersection onto the curb and try starting it. sort of starts but immediately dies.. does this repeatedly. listen for the pump nothing.. try jumping the fuel pump relay to get nothing. check fuses all is good.. get it towed to work and after work pull it in.. Disconnect the fuel filter and crank the car.. at this point i was waiting for the sigh but as well as disappoint of fuel shooting out from under neath the car.. nothing...

Thinking its time to drop the tank.. get it on the ground and decided I'd try to jump the pump.. I connect 12v to the solid black wire and solid grey wire on the 7pin connector only to have fuel shoot out of the fuel filter inlet line.. Now i'm stumped.. maybe a break in the wiring? so i probe the connector of the 2 wires i just jumped.. test light illuminates for a couple of seconds with key. So i was getting voltage.. Now I know there are 7 wires total, 4 of which seem to be for the pump, 3 for the level sensor. If i remember right, the 4 i am curious on are Black, Black with tracer, Grey, and Purple.. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or connector pin out diagram to tell me all 7 wires to this connector?

Does anyone have any suggestions what the problem is? I'd hate to replace the pump only to find out I have the same problem.. but maybe one of the other wires is a signal wire(purple?) and its bad in the pump causing it not to trigger.. I don't know.. Anyone have any idea of helping me? Hoping i can get some info tonight before work or even during work so i can get it running tomorrow. Thanks and apologies if its more rambling.. just frustrated all to hell right now.

Re: Fuel Issue(Fuel pump)
Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:25 PM
I wouldn't start jumping wires right by your fuel tank.

If your pump isn't working and the fuse is all good dude its probable the pump.

How many miles does your car have on it? 100,000+? thats about the life of the stock pump.. (or its not unheard of a pump going out about then any ways..)

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:36 PM
I have 67xxx miles on the car. after some google searching try to find some wiring stuff, i found a page of people having similar issues in the 60-70k mileage range.. and needing new fuel pumps.. So i am regretting that idea.. granted it will cost me $250 compared to having a shop d oit near 500+ so i guess thats a good thing?

actually didn't think about the whole jumping wires deal next to the gas tank lol, i did however think about it while drilling out the rivets on the heat shield.. had the fire extinguisher next to the rear wheel pin pulled just in case

Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:42 PM
Well its @!#$ty to have that happen but dude the racetronix pump is $175 my stock pump went out and i replaced it with that instead of paying $250 for a stock pump.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search