05 Cavalier Header/Tune Questions - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
05 Cavalier Header/Tune Questions
Friday, April 16, 2010 3:14 AM
Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about getting a header for my car for some time now. I have a 05 Cavalier LS 2.2 Ecotec. Been putting it off because of money but I got a nice bonus check and figure I might go ahead with the header after all.

I have decided on either the Pace Setter 70-1279($169.99) or Pace Setter 72C1279($281.99). Both are from Jegs. I am not really sure if the Armor Coat ones are really worth the extra money or not. What you guys think?

Second, when getting this installed I am thinking about "gutting" the stock cat or putting on a high flow cat in its place. I already have 2.5" exhaust from the cat-back with a aftermarket Mozart muffler. I also have a HPS intake on the car as well. Which should I do, "gut" the stock cat or get a high flow?

Lastly, this will tie in with the second question. I have a friend that has HP Tuners and he has already tuned my car (basically just advanced timing). I paid him $150 but he will re-tune it as many times as I want free of charge so I def. would be looking at getting it tuned with the new header on. So my question is, what kind of power am I looking to gain with the header, "changed cat" and proper tune through HP Tuners?

I know that you can't give a def. answer but just looking to get some opinions.

As far as all the comments about "gutting" the stock cat or replacing it with a high flow and throwing check engine lights, etc. Since I can get it tuned, HP Tuners can shut off those specific codes and if it does cause air/fuel problems, we can tune it out.

So please leave me some feedback and let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for your time!
Chris Stickles

* Complete Mod List*

HPS Intake
2.5" piping from cat back
Mozart performance muffler
Advanced Timing (HP Tuners)
Appox. 2.5" drop (front and back)

Many other non-performance mods

Re: 05 Cavalier Header/Tune Questions
Friday, April 16, 2010 4:11 AM
My opinion if your going to to do it, Do it right! Get the High flow CAT. its better for the enviorment also, Don't half ass man!

and good luck!

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Friday, April 16, 2010 4:20 AM
i would go with the lsj pacesetter header and the armor coated is by far worth it, do a high flow car (or no cat at all)

Friday, April 16, 2010 4:51 PM
Hey Guys,

Some other things I have been considering to do now from doing some looking around on different ecotec sites are TTR upper and lower motor mounts, TTR trans. mounts, and TTR control arm bushings. So I guess i am wondering if it is really worth it as well since I am not really making crazy amounts of power. So what you guys think?

Thanks for your time!
Friday, April 16, 2010 4:54 PM
Sorry forgot to put this in my last post. Thank for your guys info. Also......would you guys recommend the Pace Setters or the Tsudo header. Just from looking at people opinions a lot of people are actually recommending the Tsudo over the Pace Setters. What you guys think?
Friday, April 16, 2010 4:59 PM
RD Fabs > anything else. Be wary, the install is a bit involved, but i wouldnt replace my RD Fabs header for anything else.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:11 PM
do the highflow cat i just did today went to pepboys and got the magnaflow cat for 76$ it feels great and is a little louder
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search