Catback Exhaust Systems - Found New Company. Opinions? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Catback Exhaust Systems - Found New Company. Opinions?
Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:51 AM
Hey,

I was about re-tune on LSJ injectors and found many leaks in my current exhaust and header, so no re-tuning yet!

New header and exhaust was bought. TSUDO header looks and fits great! The SRS exhaust did no bolt up as it would not clear the rear axle! So, I have been on a hunt for new exhausts. A lot of exhausts, not that there are many choices, run about $500 up! VIBRANT, MEGAN RACING, THERMAL DYNAMICS, MAGNAFLOW & BORLA are the ones that were not that cheap. Megan being the exception, but there are out of stock until April 13th. In the mean time, I am running open header. The car is not my DD so I can wait to buy the right system. However, I found this website:

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-240/95-dsh-05-CHEVY-CAVALIER--fdsh-/Detail

This is the exhaust system I will probably purchase. Good price and great muffler choices. I found it cheaper to buy the T-304 SS tubing and buy the same muffler on ebay and will save about $75 bucks as long as you get the same muffler style pictured (center to off-center). I will no doubt buy a Magnaflow or Borla as muffler choice makes a big difference in HP gains. The cheap ebay mufflers can rattle and degrade quick!

For about $300 shipped I can get this system, again muffler bought separate. The whole exhaust clamps up, there is no welding required. Even the muffler comes with a clamp & built in hanger so it will mount up in the stock rubber hanger location. Any opinions on this exhaust would be great. They seem like a good quality product and I need a 2.5 inch system which some company's mentioned above did not offer!

For anyone out there looking for an exhaust system, this set up might be worth looking into as it won't break the bank!

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:53 AM

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Re: Catback Exhaust Systems - Found New Company. Opinions?
Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:45 AM
I got their downpipe and their catback tubing paired with a muffler and tip of my choosing from Amazon. One thing is it did NOT clamp up with my muffler so I had to get it welded. If you go this route i would advise getting their add on resonator. It sounds awesome! Overall its a great system that was cheap as hell but if you go with a different muffler you might have to get it welded.
Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. Now, if I stick to the same muffler they have listed in the pictures, i.e magnaflow part # 12226 then their clamp should fit right? I can find the muffler for 50-70 bucks shipped and the tip, well can't find a magnaflow tip that will fit that I like from magnaflow.com yet. One thing confuses me and maybe you can answer this VOLT. On the full kit, with muffler and tip supplied, there is no mention of welding. On the piping kit only, it says welding is necessary. Is that only like you said, the muffler would have to be welded ASSUMING you don't buy the exact same muffler as they sell with their kits? Because I don't see any other reason that welding is mentioned in the piping kit only. When I talked to them today, they said the full kit clamps up, no welding unless you want. Didn't ask about the piping kit. So if the piping kit clamps up too and I buy the same muffler (they supply the clamp that has a hanger built in) then I should be good to go and save myself some bucks? I want a magnaflow or borla muffler so i will stick with # 12226 and find a tip.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:19 PM
Does this system work with the Ecotec's too?
Friday, March 04, 2011 11:04 AM
Yes it does. Exhaust system is bought! I bought the whole kit because the hangers and other misc parts are not welded on when it comes to the piping kit only. The whole kit, has everything welded on. Straight up bolt on kit. I chose the magnaflow muffler as I was told it looks much nicer than the mat finish borla muffler. Magnaflow is polished. The kit cost $360 shipped. I'll get it by next Friday and will post up pics and sound bytes.

Friday, March 04, 2011 12:46 PM
John02 wrote:Does this system work with the Ecotec's too?

Yeah i have an eco and had no problems with it.

02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote: the hangers and other misc parts are not welded on when it comes to the piping kit only. The whole kit, has everything welded on.

I figured thats what it was but wasnt sure myself! I am just particularly fond of a magnaflow muffler (not the one that it comes with) so it was definitely worth it to me.
Friday, March 04, 2011 3:43 PM
Me too. Had a magnaflow exhaust until last week lol. I don't like the muffler either but I will worry about another one later. Besides, with the tip it should look ok. We will see. I know I am getting a good quality product. ALumized steel was available for shipping now but i stuck with the stainless steel!

Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:00 AM
02ECOTECIMPORTKILLER wrote: ALumized steel was available for shipping now but i stuck with the stainless steel!

Good choice! Im sure you'll be pleased. Especially if you got the resonator.
Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:30 AM
Didn't get the resonator. Thought about it but, hopefully its not going to be to raspy. With the bigger diameter exhaust (2.5 inch), it should be a little more deeper sounding. I had a hi flow cat and magnaflow 2.25 inch exhaust and it was raspy but got used to it. This new system should sound better. I'm not sure if a resonator restricts power but if it does even slightly, my set-up has no restrictions at all as I will be running a straight pipe(no cat). Again, I will post up pics as soon as it is installed.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:10 AM
Got the exhaust. I am really impressed with the piping and welding. The magnaflow muffler is in its mfrs box, all wrapped up and shiny. The tip is just like the RKSPORT magnaflow exhaust (one I used to have), except it is adjustable. I can clamp the tip, so as to move it further inward or outward depending on what suits me. The piping is real 2.5 inch. When I compare it to the SRS 2.5 inch exhaust I bought, its not quite 2.5 at all! I get it installed on Tuesday. I'll be taking lots of pics.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:33 PM
BUMP - Please see topic "Catback Exhaust Fitment - Please HELP! 2nd exhaust system purchased and does not FIT!"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search