ecotec mods - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec mods
Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:09 PM
I managed to trade my 95 z for a 2004 ls with the 2.2 ecotec, and it has some mods done to it already including:

all new clutch and components,
machined flywheel
full exhaust system and header
06 cobalt transmission
cold air intake
short shift kit
lambo doors
body kit
17 inch wheels
custom silver paint job with metallic flakes

a few mods done already i am selling off a few parts including the exhaust, header, lambo door kit, front bumper and side skirts, the rims and tires

I am looking for some mods to do to the ecotec, so far you see what it has
I have ngk plugs im getting ready to put in, I want to order a weapon r header and magnaflow exhaust or maybe the rk sport exhaust system and mayb some cams? any other mods i should do, I also want to rebuild the engine, it only has 84k miles but i wanna build the motor for a good 300- 400 hp just for saftey any mods you guys recommend for the ecotec

Re: ecotec mods
Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:31 PM
cody hamm wrote:

06 cobalt transmission


Doubtful...f35 trans are physically bigger and don't fit into j-bodies (at least not without a lot of modding/fabrication)


If you're getting aftermarket cams, you'll want to invest in some valve springs as well. The stockers won't take the higher left and you're going to have coil bind and some busted up springs. Supertech 78lb will hand pretty much any cams out there, and are reasonable priced. If you're looking to make a high revving motor, I would get ss valves too...if not, stockers should be alright. You might want to also invest in at least a mild port n polish too if you're going with cams.
The stock intake manifold from an le5 (any 2.4 eco) is a good step up from what's there now, and other than needing an adapter plate for the throttle body, its pretty much bolt on. You'll want injectors too, what size will be determined by the overall power. 36lb injectors should get you close to the 250hp mark, but if you want to hit 300-400 you're looking at about 50lb injectors or so.
You'll also need boost to get the power you're talking about. And tuning....and a lot more. Bottom line, be ready to do more than a couple bolt ons if you wanna get anywhere close to 300+ hp.






Re: ecotec mods
Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:11 PM
the 06 naturally aspirated cobalt trans is an F23 getrag... which is mated to a 2.2l ecotec engine in the 05 06 cobalts and that is what i have in my 2004 cavalier ls
Re: ecotec mods
Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:27 PM
Did the 06 have the different gear ratios? like taller gearing all around?



Re: ecotec mods
Friday, March 04, 2011 12:12 AM
cody hamm wrote:

the 06 naturally aspirated cobalt trans is an F23 getrag... which is mated to a 2.2l ecotec engine in the 05 06 cobalts and that is what i have in my 2004 cavalier ls


Pics or . The F23 transmission in the Cobalt mounts up entirely different than the F23 in a J-body.




Currently #9 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 365.7 HP - 377.6 TRQ!!!
Currently 6th quickest Ecotec on the .org -12.453 @ 116.45 MPH!!!

Re: ecotec mods
Friday, March 04, 2011 9:02 AM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:

cody hamm wrote:

06 cobalt transmission


36lb injectors should get you close to the 250hp mark, but if you want to hit 300-400 you're looking at about 50lb injectors or so.


My calculations got a slight difference than what you posted. 36lb injectors are good for 230bhp at 80% duty cycle and the 50lb injectors will do 320bhp at 80% duty. That would be at stock fuel pressure, and using the BSFC at .50 which is for a N/A setup and a turbo or s/c setup would use a .60 BSFC which would change the hp ratings slightly (192bhp for the 36lb injectors and 266.66bhp with the 50lb injectors) . I went with 89lb injectors just to be safe.



Re: ecotec mods
Friday, March 04, 2011 10:21 AM
Roofy wrote:

cody hamm wrote:

the 06 naturally aspirated cobalt trans is an F23 getrag... which is mated to a 2.2l ecotec engine in the 05 06 cobalts and that is what i have in my 2004 cavalier ls


Pics or . The F23 transmission in the Cobalt mounts up entirely different than the F23 in a J-body.




Re: ecotec mods
Friday, March 04, 2011 12:21 PM
yeap. they have different casings, so the mounts dont line up. maybe they told you it was out of a cobalt, but its not, unless they welded in all new mounts



Re: ecotec mods
Friday, March 04, 2011 3:09 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:

EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:

cody hamm wrote:

06 cobalt transmission


36lb injectors should get you close to the 250hp mark, but if you want to hit 300-400 you're looking at about 50lb injectors or so.


My calculations got a slight difference than what you posted. 36lb injectors are good for 230bhp at 80% duty cycle and the 50lb injectors will do 320bhp at 80% duty. That would be at stock fuel pressure, and using the BSFC at .50 which is for a N/A setup and a turbo or s/c setup would use a .60 BSFC which would change the hp ratings slightly (192bhp for the 36lb injectors and 266.66bhp with the 50lb injectors) . I went with 89lb injectors just to be safe.


Yeah that sounds about right...I didn't have the rc calculator I usually use in front of me so I was doing the math in my head...which didn't work too well, haha!






Re: ecotec mods
Friday, March 04, 2011 3:15 PM
well pretty darn close though haha.

To the OP. Figure out what your goals are with the car as it can make a big difference in what parts you should add. Say you buy the header now and then decide to go with a turbo because you want more than 200hp and then you have no use for the header. I'm assuming since you want 400hp your going to be putting a decent size turbo on the car with a good amount of boost which would require a lower compression which would be no good for a n/a build.



Re: ecotec mods
Friday, March 04, 2011 3:21 PM
maybe he changed case halves. its can be done...i have thought about it.




Re: ecotec mods
Friday, March 04, 2011 8:56 PM
the ecotec f23 m86 trans was in the 2000-2005 cavaliers, also the 05-07 cobalt base models... it fits both cars
Re: ecotec mods
Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:51 PM
i was thinking more along the lines of putting an m62 supercharger on it, boring the sleeves .020 over, new pistons, rods and all new bearings and gaskets/seals. port and polish the head, bigger throttle body, stage 2 race cams, full head rebuild, adding a different flywheel, new motor mounts, new 3" exhaust, upgrade all the fuel components, and cv axles, then getting it tuned and see where we go from there.

what would you guys recommend for a compression ratio piston for supercharged application, would the eagle h beam rods hold up pretty good? what about for the head rebuild where can i located new valves, guides, seats and springs, and where can i get a bigger throttle body ? what about exhaust what company would you guys go with on a header and cat back system, i got a 2.5" exhaust on the car right now, dont know the brand was on car when i got it, just know the size of the pipes.
Re: ecotec mods
Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:33 AM
Alot of stuff you're looking for (head and block internals) can be had from Turbo Tech Racing or Allecotec.com for great pricing. TTR motor and trans mounts are very reasonable priced and quite popular. I believe they also have good pricing on valves/valvesprings (come to think of it, they just had Supertech 78lb springs for a ridiculously cheap sale price, like $359ish...I just paid $420 shipped about a month ago). Most spring kits will come with seats. The Supertech 78lbs will work nicely for your plans, they can easily accommodate the stage 2 (or 3) cams, and then some. Allecotec.com also has great pricing on valve train components, as well as Comp Cams. You can also contact Jason @ A+ Performance, he is also a great guy to deal with.
Depending on the cash you want to spend, there are a few that do reasonably priced head porting by hand (look up a member here on the org called Ammfab, does amazing work), or there are companies that supply CNC ported heads, like Patriot Performace.

The Eagle H beams are a great product and will work just fine. You also have the option of swapping in an LSJ or LE5 block, which already has forged internals, and use an external trigger wheel for timing (Phil has some for sale in a GP right now if interested). I would recommend a LSJ Pacesetter header, especially if you are going with an M62 setup. As for mufflers, seems most of prefer Dynomax, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc. I know personally, my new system will be a LSJ Pacesetter header into a 2.5" SS lines, Magnaflow resonator and Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.
No sure if RSM still makes throttle bodies for us, but I know there are used ones floating out there. Alot of boosted guys also go with LS1 (and the like) TBs, just about any cable driven TB will work if you can find an adapter plate.






Re: ecotec mods
Sunday, March 06, 2011 7:27 AM
cody hamm wrote:

the ecotec f23 m86 trans was in the 2000-2005 cavaliers, also the 05-07 cobalt base models... it fits both cars


i don't know if your trying to convince yourself that it does, but sorry to break it too you but it doesn't

both j body and cobalt F23 have the same gear ratio so theres NO BENEFIT to swap it also the mounting of the 2 transmissions are way different so he either made custom mounts (need pics to see) or he swapped cases (which basiclt you have the same trans anyways)

F23 was made for so many applications even if he swapped case its still factory option doesn't make it a mod

such as if you were to replace your alternator with a cobalt alternator its not a mod its still the factory alternator



JBO since July 30, 2001
Re: ecotec mods
Sunday, March 06, 2011 2:03 PM
... thanks for your help EVILution, and yea it has a cobalt trans, just cuz you think you know everything like most people on this site does, doesnt mean you gotta open your damn mouth and run it until it falls off. i don't wanna hear your crap anymore, i know whats in my car, I don't need you to try to tell me different. thanks everyone who gave me their input.
Re: ecotec mods
Monday, March 07, 2011 4:56 PM
cody hamm wrote:

... thanks for your help EVILution, and yea it has a cobalt trans, just cuz you think you know everything like most people on this site does, doesnt mean you gotta open your damn mouth and run it until it falls off. i don't wanna hear your crap anymore, i know whats in my car, I don't need you to try to tell me different. thanks everyone who gave me their input.


No he's right. The cases are different, the guts are the same. Unless you go with like an hhr f23 which has better gear ratios for n/a irrc, but also a different case.


1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Re: ecotec mods
Wednesday, March 09, 2011 1:10 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:

Alot of stuff you're looking for (head and block internals) can be had from Turbo Tech Racing or Allecotec.com for great pricing. TTR motor and trans mounts are very reasonable priced and quite popular. I believe they also have good pricing on valves/valvesprings (come to think of it, they just had Supertech 78lb springs for a ridiculously cheap sale price, like $359ish...I just paid $420 shipped about a month ago). Most spring kits will come with seats. The Supertech 78lbs will work nicely for your plans, they can easily accommodate the stage 2 (or 3) cams, and then some. Allecotec.com also has great pricing on valve train components, as well as Comp Cams. You can also contact Jason @ A+ Performance, he is also a great guy to deal with.
Depending on the cash you want to spend, there are a few that do reasonably priced head porting by hand (look up a member here on the org called Ammfab, does amazing work), or there are companies that supply CNC ported heads, like Patriot Performace.

The Eagle H beams are a great product and will work just fine. You also have the option of swapping in an LSJ or LE5 block, which already has forged internals, and use an external trigger wheel for timing (Phil has some for sale in a GP right now if interested). I would recommend a LSJ Pacesetter header, especially if you are going with an M62 setup. As for mufflers, seems most of prefer Dynomax, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc. I know personally, my new system will be a LSJ Pacesetter header into a 2.5" SS lines, Magnaflow resonator and Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.
No sure if RSM still makes throttle bodies for us, but I know there are used ones floating out there. Alot of boosted guys also go with LS1 (and the like) TBs, just about any cable driven TB will work if you can find an adapter plate.


Thanks for the recomendation!


-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Re: ecotec mods
Friday, March 11, 2011 7:38 PM
And I thought jackin on my treads were bad, lol but I gotta say the tranny debate is a good 1 but there's 1 thing that will clear it up, its called PROOF!!!, so if ur car really does have a cobalt tranny show some proof then there's no need for bull@!#$ on the topic, from my knowlege it's not possible. Engine,Yes Tranny, No but u say it is, so like everyone else show proof and I'll gladly give you props and they'll gladly shut up.



Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Re: ecotec mods
Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:24 AM
hey i would love to see the pics i just don't know WHY anyone would swap cases for the same guts or swap in the (basicly same trans different case) and fab work when you can just go buy the right trans for just as cheap.
cobalt engine still is just as much work cobalt drivetrain isn't a direct swap and is not worth the hassell as you can use the 2.2 j body eco and mod it and be just aswell off unless your goin for a hybrid kinda swap like some guys have.

take a pic of the trans and we will tell you straight up if its a J or cobalt trans



JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search