Ecotec headet options? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec headet options?
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:11 PM
Okay so I've read through several post on headers to find the best one for my setup and now I have a huge headache, lol.

I have a 2003 automatic 2.2L ECOTEC Cavalier with a GMPP Supercharger, GM flash, and a 3.1" pulley going on soon. Has a K&N modded intake, stock header, down pipe, and cat with a Borla cat-back exhaust with 2.00" or 2.25" manderal bent tubbing (planning to go 2.5" eventually).

I want to get a header before I install the A/F gauge. So far I've heard about the DC Sports, RKSport, Pacesetter Tsudo, iPerfomance, ebay ones, and the stock LSJ or GM extrude honed header.

What do you guys think would be the best headet for my application/plan?
Are LSJ headers straight bolt on to the head and j-body downpipe?

Any info and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Ecotec headet options?
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:33 PM
for an ecotec order an LSj header i have always liked pacesetter but i have no idea what the kids these days are using

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:07 PM
Jesus Jacobo wrote:Okay so I've read through several post on headers to find the best one for my setup and now I have a huge headache, lol.

I have a 2003 automatic 2.2L ECOTEC Cavalier with a GMPP Supercharger, GM flash, and a 3.1" pulley going on soon. Has a K&N modded intake, stock header, down pipe, and cat with a Borla cat-back exhaust with 2.00" or 2.25" mandrel bent tubing (planning to go 2.5" eventually).

I want to get a header before I install the A/F gauge. So far I've heard about the DC Sports, RKSport, Pacesetter Tsudo, iPerfomance, ebay ones, and the stock LSJ or GM extrude honed header.

What do you guys think would be the best header for my application/plan?
Are LSJ headers straight bolt on to the head and j-body downpipe?

Any info and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

def go 2.5" mandrel.
i'm using the lsj pacesetter header. had to create my own downpipe so i don't know if would bolt up to it. I don't think it will since it's a 3 inch collector.
i wish i had the balls to buy an lsj d/p to see if would work for our exhaust or not. or just fab up your own or have muffler shop since you are goin w/ aftermarket mandrel bent exhaust.
i had the rksport 4-2-1 but it leaked where the 2 header pieces connected so it didn't last long on my car.
you can prob find a cheap used header on cobaltss.net forums.

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:47 PM
I heard the LSJ header takes a bit of squeezing to bolt on since it is larger. Are you guys talking the stock LSJ header or the pacesetter LSJ header??

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:42 PM
Everbody seems to be suggestimg the LSJ header. Is the LSJ header better than the L61 aftermarket headers?
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:06 AM
Jesus Jacobo wrote:Everbody seems to be suggestimg the LSJ header. Is the LSJ header better than the L61 aftermarket headers?

The Pacesetter LSJ header has 1.75" primaries compared to the Pacesetter L61 which has 1.5" primaries.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:23 AM
Tinkles wrote:
Jesus Jacobo wrote:Everbody seems to be suggestimg the LSJ header. Is the LSJ header better than the L61 aftermarket headers?

The Pacesetter LSJ header has 1.75" primaries compared to the Pacesetter L61 which has 1.5" primaries.

So pretty much aftermarket L61 headers are designed with the stock engine in mind, while the LSJ headers are designed with boost in mind. So since I'm boosted I should research LSJ headers. They should bolt on to the head with no problem, right? But where the downpipe hooks up is where a problem might occur.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:36 AM
Correct.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:21 AM
It works out just fine. Go with the pacesetter or any aftermarket lsj header, you wont be sorry.

I ordered mine from cia, off cobaltss.net, and it works swell. Fit fine down in there, plenty of hand room. The only problem is getting the downpipe made, but any competent "custom" exhaust shop will be able to fab up a downpipe easily, and cheaply.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:16 AM
Daniel Thissen wrote:I heard the LSJ header takes a bit of squeezing to bolt on since it is larger. Are you guys talking the stock LSJ header or the pacesetter LSJ header??

No it just take some cut and paste on the down pipe to make the dp mate up to any location that the stock cat/pipe could be.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:04 PM
Why does one need a custom downpipe? What if I install a LSJ downpipe along with the LSJ Pacesetter header. Will custom welding be required then? Will that setup line up well with the cat-back part of the exhaust?

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:35 PM
LSJ downpipe doesnt line up with the channel in the under body for the exhaust.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:11 PM
Leafy wrote:LSJ downpipe doesnt line up with the channel in the under body for the exhaust.

Yeah I did a little bit of eyeballing, picture comparing research and yeah it won't work. The cat is too high up along the downpipe.

I found this place on the internet called manderal exhaust systems. They offer a pre-made manderal bent 304 stainless steel 2.5" Maganaflow cat-ted downpipe for the J-body's for around 260 shipped. Anybody heard or used them? Does that sound like a good deal?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search