o2 Sensor broke off in Downpipe bung! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
o2 Sensor broke off in Downpipe bung!
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:25 PM
SO as you can read, I have a bit of a conundrum. The Pre-cat o2 sensor broke off at the top of the bung, and i can not seem to get a good enough grip to unscrew it. Pipe is currently off the car (long story), and I have soaked what is left in WD 40 to see if that might help. Obviously, I will be replacing the sensor, but does anyone have any good ideas on how to get the friggin' thing out?

Any help/ tips are greatly appreciated.

I'll eventually take the time to put something here. I swear.

Re: o2 Sensor broke off in Downpipe bung!
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:48 PM
Might not be enough, but heat up around the sensor with a torch to expand the metal and increase your chance of getting it out. If that doesn't work, maybe try welding a bolt to the sensor and backing it out. If that doesn't work, cut the bung off and get a new one.
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:56 PM
^^Good ideas.

Also, drill into the bung, get a reverse drill bit and back it out with a drill, if it holds of course.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:06 PM
Air Etcher, and push it out, by threading it out just like twisting it out. Works all the time for broken bolts I found out!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:15 PM
assuming you didnt heat it up before you tried pulling it?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:16 PM
SLOCAV wrote:Air Etcher, and push it out, by threading it out just like twisting it out. Works all the time for broken bolts I found out!

Care to go into more detail? What do you mean by "air etcher?"
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:20 PM
kinda hard to explain, I've always called it an Air Etcher. It is like a pen sized tool, acts like an air hammer. Use it for etching in metal or such, and just use it to unscrew it. So if you have an air compressor with hookups, look for one and it might work. It has worked for a couple bolts i've broken off before as long as they aren't seized in or rusted.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:20 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:assuming you didnt heat it up before you tried pulling it?

+1. They're a PITA after they've been in there a while. I agree with heating it up. If you don't have a torch that's up to the task, perhaps run the engine til it it fully warmed up, and try to take it out when the exh. manifold is hot.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, April 02, 2011 6:13 AM
My O2 sensor broke off in my turbo downpipe last month, but I didn't use the air engraver for that. It had actually welded itself to the pipe so I ended up drilling it all out and welding on a new bung.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search