low oil press after secret cam install ?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
low oil press after secret cam install ??
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:35 PM
This only hapens when engine is started and for a second, engine is noisy like tappets and valves....then it goes away. But it comes back when iddling with engine warm like after cruising and only in the 600 to 800 rpms, over that it goes away. My mechanic friend says it is mainly because one of the camshafts is used and suggests an oil aditive to rise or keep the oil from thinig when hot. Any help is appreciated or which additive will do the trick?, maybe Super Kote or motor Kote?

Re: low oil press after secret cam install ??
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:45 PM
low oil pressure because of a used cam? maybe if it had 500,000 miles! LOL

you sure ur lifters are pumping up correctly?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:11 PM
They were before the install and we did not touch them in the cam swap...
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:44 PM
Valve adjustment? ticking doesn't necessarily mean low oil pressure, how do you know low oil pressure? is the light on?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:28 PM
No warning light comes on, just the noise and it sure sounds as poor lubrication, if it was valve adjustment the noise should be constant or increase with rpms
I believe. For now I am trying to avoid the noise by keeping rpms above 900 when idling but it bothers me , If I remeber right there a post that states that changing a spring in the oil pump will make it pump more IŽll see if I can find it.
Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:07 AM
check the cam "boxes" torque sound odd but something like that happened to me... also any oil leaks?

Thursday, May 05, 2011 10:14 AM
J&J LD9 wrote:check the cam "boxes" torque sound odd but something like that happened to me... also any oil leaks?

Hmmm interesting...I have an oil disappearing problem and a strange tap at idle but no sounds at all if the gas is pressed. I did notice some leakage around the cam towers. I was thinking it was because the engine has 200k on it and something was wearing out but maybe its is a situation like this.

Sorry to thread jack lol

Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:33 PM
That makes sense...mmmm if by cam boxes you mean cam carriers, will double check torque. No, no oil leaks.
Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:50 PM
Anyone please let me know the right torque for the cam carrier bolts?
Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:43 PM
If I remember right its cast into the intake cam tower on the top. I think its 11ftlbs but don't quote me.

Friday, May 06, 2011 12:43 PM
What I found stamped is spark plug torque 13 lbs. ft. and I canŽt find it in the Chilton...so please if someone has the right torque for the camshaft carriers please chime in.Thks.

Friday, May 06, 2011 12:49 PM
16 ft/lb IIRC

Friday, May 06, 2011 1:15 PM
ok Thank You.
Friday, May 06, 2011 1:23 PM
Do you in fact know that the oil pressure is low? I'm guessing the lifters just lost some oil in them during disassembly. This happened to my car with I put new cams and lifters in. It took a good 200 miles or so for the lifters to finally pump up to where there wasn't any knocking anymore. If your oil pressure is fine, I wouldn't worry about it. And whoever said valve adjustment, the 2.4L has lifters. There is nothing to adjust.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Friday, May 06, 2011 5:35 PM
No I would have to install a pressure gauge...although the oil press light is off, it only goes on when I turn the switch to the on position. I hope the problem goes away as in your case. i do not like what I read about the additives...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search