2 Row Radiator for J-Body's - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2 Row Radiator for J-Body's
Monday, May 23, 2011 8:34 AM
Well I it is time for a new radiator, since temps continue to fluctuate like moodswings (i.e 90*+ outside and it is a line and a half below the middle, cool 70* ouitside at night and it is a line and a half above the middle) and I've changed everything else except the water pump. So being boosted I would of enjoyed getting a larger radiator the stock, but unfortunately the only option is a custom made one and that's a lot of moolah. But by a wild search amongst the internet I found this:

2 Row Cavalier Radiator

Anybody heard of them, or seen this radiator? It's suppose to be 1/4" thicker (1 1/4" core thickness) and 2 rows. And can someone give me a brief explanation of 2 row and the difference from 2 core.

Re: 2 Row Radiator for J-Body's
Monday, May 23, 2011 8:41 AM
hmm... look insteresting , doesn't show the top view though???????

Monday, May 23, 2011 9:03 AM
The picture is suppose to be of the actual radiator, so that should be the Ecotec radiator. But yeah no 360, top down view.
Monday, May 23, 2011 12:15 PM
Im assuming its probably the same thing, either way you think of it, there are 2 rows of cores that the water passes through.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:18 PM
All I know is that my two row is about 2" thick. From what I can see in that pic, it is a stock unit.

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:31 PM
mitdr774 wrote:All I know is that my two row is about 2" thick. From what I can see in that pic, it is a stock unit.

I agree, the unit does look stock and 1/4" extra in thickness seems minute. But how does 2 row work? I've searched online but it is littered with forum post on peoples cars and what rad they should get.
Monday, May 23, 2011 6:40 PM
Why throw money at a car just in the name of replacing stock parts. I NEVER had an issue of the stock radiator not being sufficient in either of my boosted cavaliers

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:30 PM
Benefit to a 2 row is a larger.surface area to help cool better. I have a 2 core in my car now. It was cheaper than a stock replacement when the factory radiator cracked.

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:46 PM
DSMskyline wrote:Benefit to a 2 row is a larger.surface area to help cool better. I have a 2 core in my car now. It was cheaper than a stock replacement when the factory radiator cracked.

Where did you get yours from?
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:17 AM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Why throw money at a car just in the name of replacing stock parts. I NEVER had an issue of the stock radiator not being sufficient in either of my boosted cavaliers

It's not just in the name of replacing. The car has severe moodswings with it's temperature. The fan does turn and cools it eventually, but as soon as the a/c goes on and you idle long enough it will eventually creep up to 220. So something is up. The car has 180xxx miles on it and even though I've religiously maintained all the fluids, I do believe my original radiator might be calling it quits. Even before the charger it was acting a little funny.
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:43 PM
Jesus Jacobo wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:Why throw money at a car just in the name of replacing stock parts. I NEVER had an issue of the stock radiator not being sufficient in either of my boosted cavaliers

It's not just in the name of replacing. The car has severe moodswings with it's temperature. The fan does turn and cools it eventually, but as soon as the a/c goes on and you idle long enough it will eventually creep up to 220. So something is up. The car has 180xxx miles on it and even though I've religiously maintained all the fluids, I do believe my original radiator might be calling it quits. Even before the charger it was acting a little funny.

I hear that! My Sonoma, as many of you may have already figured, has an engine-driven fan with a thermo-viscous clutch. It may-not have that many miles, but it does the same thing while just idling after sunset when the A/C is on (or more!) and it spooks me. I'm gonna do the "famed" Taurus 2-spd fan swap soon, just as soon as I can lay my hands on a good matching radiator-care so it can go quickly & smoothly. Maybe I'll get one of the 2-row models from that supplier, given the price seems reasonable & it's easier than scrounging a yard for the "only type available with the LN2" 1-row.

BTW: The area of the S-truck LN2 rad is almost exactly the same as for it's J-car counterpart, and the Taurus 2-spd doesn't fully cover it (Yet it works better than anything!), so maybe some of you J-car folks might want to consider going with that as an option. After all the work, it's still far-cheaper than buying some special after-market set... And cools better too! Plus: If the motor ever fails, it's far easier (and Quicker!) to get a replacement for.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:57 PM
Well I ordered the radiator and I'll let you guys know what I think.
Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:52 AM
I got it from a local member, I believe he said it was one of the e-bay ones.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:03 PM
you relize thats a stock replacement and j bodys aready come with 2 core rads some have single cores but my 99 Z24 5spd had a dual core and my 00sedan auto had a dual core rad

just get one from a parts store or wrecker

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, May 27, 2011 5:57 AM
Ive seen more of the dual core in autos due to the trans cooler. The radiator in the z24 doesnt have provisions for a trans cooler. The dual core I have in the garage I pulled from the sedan has them as the car was auto.

Friday, May 27, 2011 12:21 PM
DSMskyline wrote:Ive seen more of the dual core in autos due to the trans cooler. The radiator in the z24 doesnt have provisions for a trans cooler. The dual core I have in the garage I pulled from the sedan has them as the car was auto.

Funny thing: Both of my LN2's S-trucks had a factory auto-trans cooler, and they were both single-row aluminum cores w/resin end-tanks. Go figure that out.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, May 27, 2011 11:34 PM
Yeah mine is auto and had a single row. I finally got the new two row and installed it...little difference, kind of acts like stock. Right now it seems like the concentration levels of the coolant, water, and the redline water wetter are issue.
Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:36 AM
you realize the endtank doesn't change wether its a single or dual right DSM

to be 100% honest there really not a DUAL core rad the factory ones they flow as much coolent as a dual core but infact the cor is an 1" wide insted of 1/2". there isn't 2 1/2"s its just 1 1" core to be exact still does the job as a dual core rad

its completely RANDOM what cars got them you would think if you have an auto trans cooler that they would all get them but not always the case. i just put one in my manual with the cooler in it and have no intesions of using that function i just took it out of my sedan thats getting an eco cause my manual rad was leakin

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:21 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:you realize the endtank doesn't change wether its a single or dual right DSM

to be 100% honest there really not a DUAL core rad the factory ones they flow as much coolent as a dual core but infact the cor is an 1" wide insted of 1/2". there isn't 2 1/2"s its just 1 1" core to be exact still does the job as a dual core rad

its completely RANDOM what cars got them you would think if you have an auto trans cooler that they would all get them but not always the case. i just put one in my manual with the cooler in it and have no intesions of using that function i just took it out of my sedan thats getting an eco cause my manual rad was leakin

I didn't know I mentioned anything about the end tanks. I am quite aware that they are the same as I've had both and even have a spare 2 core sitting in the garage.

With the core being thicker, the fins are larger which potentially could help with cooling.

Never really noticed much of a difference between the 2 radiators.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:51 PM
DSMskyline wrote:
NOTa2_4 wrote:you realize the endtank doesn't change wether its a single or dual right DSM

I didn't know I mentioned anything about the end tanks. I am quite aware that they are the same as I've had both and even have a spare 2 core sitting in the garage.

With the core being thicker, the fins are larger which potentially could help with cooling.

Never really noticed much of a difference between the 2 radiators.

Actually, if the total tube area is the same (Copper/brass or aluminum) then it's the [higher] fin count per square-inch that makes the difference.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, June 10, 2011 10:55 AM
And that is were this radiator failed. This radiator is garbage if you are boosted. My OEM radiator had a 15 fin per inch count, this one is much less (haven't measured it yet, but you can tell). Now that the weather has kicked up a notch to the 100+ I have notice that my cooling system is having trouble getting rid of heat. So with the A/C on I am a line or two above the middle with the cooling fan struggling to get rid of heat. And freeway is just as bad, especially when you cross the 65 MPH mark where, if I recall correctly, the cooling fan turns off. I wouldn't recommend buying if your are supercharged, but for NA it might still be alright.

Friday, June 10, 2011 10:26 PM
Okay, forgive this question (I only have an LN2 in a S-truck, no J-car ever to my name) but what is the design & operation of the fan in question like? I might be able to suggest something better ('95 Taurus 2-spd, 'cause Ford fans rock in relation to CFMs) and/or a better choice of coolant (Evan's Non-Aquious Propylene-Glycol) as solutions.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, June 10, 2011 11:31 PM
Jesus Jacobo wrote:And that is were this radiator failed. This radiator is garbage if you are boosted. My OEM radiator had a 15 fin per inch count, this one is much less (haven't measured it yet, but you can tell). Now that the weather has kicked up a notch to the 100+ I have notice that my cooling system is having trouble getting rid of heat. So with the A/C on I am a line or two above the middle with the cooling fan struggling to get rid of heat. And freeway is just as bad, especially when you cross the 65 MPH mark where, if I recall correctly, the cooling fan turns off. I wouldn't recommend buying if your are supercharged, but for NA it might still be alright.

still playing with this????? just made a new thread????? YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR COOLING SYSTEM!!!! at 180k miles, MAYBE the water pump is on its way out, but you are way way way way way way over thinking this whole thing. My car run right at the middle line (195) are half on it half off it on the cool side, and when i sit at idle, guess what the temp climbs AND FAST. its what they do. didnt you say you put a different thermo in the car. did you check to make sure that is right? Don't mess with your water mixture. get the premixed stuff and use it. none of this 69% this 3% that @!#$. run 50/50 water coolant and you will be fine. and rememeber you are SHOVING 100+ degree ambient air into and air pump that makes it even hotter. so in general, everything is gonna be a bit warmer.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search