L61 crankshaft in LSJ block. Possible? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
L61 crankshaft in LSJ block. Possible?
Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:34 AM
I'm looking about but I am not finding the answer to my question. Now I know that a LSJ won't run happiy in a J-body with the factory ECM because of the vast difference in the reluctor wheel. So I wondered, why not swap out the cranks. Put the L61 crank in the LSJ block. Does anyone know if this will work and if there are any issues.

Re: L61 crankshaft in LSJ block. Possible?
Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:04 AM
Whats the point? The block is the same, you cant use the rods with that crank, and there are two more eco trigger wheels for sale that let you run the lsj/le5/whatever.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:21 AM
I am finally looking at dropping a complete LSJ motor in my Cavy. My only concerns at this point where with the trigger wheel and if it will mate to an auto trans just by switch the flywheel to a flexplate. Solution to the first was swapping out the cranks, but it appears that not only will it be more work, it actually won't work, cause of the rods and I believe someone also said it has a longer stroke that would push the pistons above the deck.

If you don't mind me being lazy, can you tell me where I can get those ordered. I'm been ready PJ's thread on his L61/LSJ hydrid and am tired, lol.
Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:26 AM
You also cant get a flex plate that fits the crank on the lsj. I dont believe the lsj was ever offered in an automatic, but maybe that saab turbo engine (lk9?) came with one.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:40 AM
That is true, the LSJ never came with an auto. So is the issue the bolt pattern/the number of bolts? This would again bring me back to using a L61 crank, which is durable enough for what I am aming for, but it would require that I change the rods and pistons. If it will even drop in without other issues.
Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:51 AM
Right, which means that theres no point to the swap. If you put l61 internals in an lsj its an l61, no difference.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:48 AM
wanna be crazy? do the LELSJ or the LE615 Hybrid... 2.1L LSJ crank, L61 Rods, LE5 pistons and block.. Rod stroke ratio of 1.7:1 it will make gobs of power due to the ratio and rev like crazy! Or do a simple hybrid setup like I did with the LE61 which is the LE5 bottom end and L61 head.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:57 AM
Yeah phil the more I think about the LE61J (LE5 block and pistons, L61rods, LSJ crank and head) the more I think that would be the ultimate N/A engine that easily fits in a j-body.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:00 AM
I am highly intrigued with both the L61/LE5 and the...let me make sure I got this right: LE61J with a LE5 block and piston with the LSJ crank and head and L61 rods. But then again with an LSJ crank am I not going to run into the same issue of a flexplate for my auto trans? I can see the L61E working since there are LE5's with auto trans.
Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:11 AM
You'll need to run the LE61 hybrid with the auto. LE5 bottom end and L61 head, you'll need my last trigger wheel though.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:19 AM
Or use the opportunity to throw that fail-o-matic into the woods. And get a real transmission.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:08 PM
Qwibby PTE Powered wrote:wanna be crazy? do the LELSJ or the LE615 Hybrid... 2.1L LSJ crank, L61 Rods, LE5 pistons and block.. Rod stroke ratio of 1.7:1 it will make gobs of power due to the ratio and rev like crazy! Or do a simple hybrid setup like I did with the LE61 which is the LE5 bottom end and L61 head.

Does that work out to be the same deck height?

Problem with that set-up tho would be how to tune it, ignition control could be delt with via a DIS-2 box, but then how do you control fuel?

Very interesting idea, I might have to look into this some more....I've heard mention of the "2.1L" set-up over on CobaltSS but wasn't too sure what they where actually refering to.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:20 PM
I doubt it works out to the right deck height. Anyone who wants to look around for all the distances could tell ya real easy. At worse it would require custom pistons.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:58 PM
I would consider throwing out the slush box, but I am trying to reatain all stock electronics with no CEL's. Pretty much I want to create great power out of an ECOTEC base while still having the car look stock under the hood and thus all electronics staying.

Since my current S/C L61 is near the 200,000 mile marker I want to make sure I have a back up engine for when that one croaks. And instead of just getting another L61, I wanted to see what options are out there. So far I've seen PJ's LSJ bottom with L61 Head which catches my attention, but of course I'll need an external trigger wheel and check to see if an auto trans will mount to it. Anyways what I really want to know is whether or not the L61 flexplate has the same bolt pattern and spacing as the LSJ flywheel (i.e. would the L61 flexplate bolt up to the LSJ crank).

Also if anyone has more info or links on this LE5 block swap or any other hybrids, please let me know. Thank you all for all your input.
Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:20 PM
Yeah if you're blown the LE5 is the better choice. The blower will love the 11.3:1 compression it forms with l61 heads and stock thickness head gasket.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:26 PM
I thought boosted engines like lower compression, like what I assume is found on the LSJ's.
Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:29 PM
L61 stock compression is 9:1, LSJ is 9.5:1. Blowers are not turbos, they love compression. I'm still not sure if 11.3 is too much for pump gas but I'll find out. If it ends up being too bad its only a 100 dollar head gasket and a few bolts away from getting changed.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:08 PM
L61 stock is 10:1

L61 head on a LE5 with a stock headgasket should be near 11:1, mine is bumped from the thinner head gasket and whatnot.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:41 PM
please refer to this post for more hybrid information:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=468060&t=468060

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search