O-ring block with copper gasket? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
O-ring block with copper gasket?
Thursday, July 07, 2011 6:18 PM
I plan to run a cometic copper gasket. Im well aware spraying copper spray on the gasket helps.

Was wondering will a o-ring block work with a cometic head gasket? And is this why everyone has sealing issues cause they run a copper gasket without an o-ring block?

GMR has got nothing on this

Re: O-ring block with copper gasket?
Friday, July 08, 2011 11:24 AM
im lost... i wasnt even aware that cometic made copper head gaskets.. let alone for our engines? are you meaning spraying ur STEEL cometic gasket with copper spray and worried about needing o-rings? if so no you dont....

now, if your heart is set on a copper head gasket hit up SCE for their's. you can get them in various thicknesses, fire ring sizes and you can even get them with built in o-rings so you dont need to do it to you're block.

only thing ive never understood is how they claim it works universally on any quad 4/twin cam engine and that they are all the same.

Friday, July 08, 2011 3:48 PM
Sorry yes that was a typo.

I just feel that the copper spray is a temporary solution for the cometic gasket.

can anyone contest to this?

Friday, July 08, 2011 9:33 PM
temporary? the cometic is a good gasket, you just need to make sure ur head and block surfaces are straight and true. cometic claims you dont need copper spray but from personal experience, it does not hurt.

i dont know what the big deal is... i know on paul's motor he failed and didnt use moly lube on the head studs. beat the piss out of this new motor for like 700 miles, head gasket never leaked a drop (cometic .030 sprayed with copper). he went in here last week to check the studs and they were ALL loose. some even were down to like 20 foot pounds iirc... which is beyond amazing. i have no idea how that gasket didnt pop.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 4:18 PM
Alright thanks....so copperspray just on the top and bottom surfaces or in the layers too?

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:04 AM
Just both mating surfaces, but do more than one coat, allowing 5 minutes between coats, then installing 10 minutes after final coat. I highly recommend SCE's titan ICS head gasket though. When I do a built engine that's what mine will get. always retorque after 1 full heat cycle(this is critical) because the head will be very loose after this first heat cycle.

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:08 AM
I've always rebuild with the fel-pro gasket but now that Im boosting I want the insurance of a better head gasket.

Although I really hate the fact of the notion stated one must retorque the head....The LD9 is not easy to simply access the head quickly especially in a jbody compared to an Nbody

So why do you recommend the SCE titan ICS head gasket?

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:14 AM
Although some may argue. Imo it is hands down the best sealing head gasket made, they hold up extremely well in severe duty applications. They also have slicone sealing rings around all water passages which is superior to just a metal on metal seal in that area.

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:38 AM
Silicone sealing rings around the water passages does sound pretty good. What are the specs on that gasket? Whats it made of, does it have the o'ring around the cylinders, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:47 AM
Disregard the queston of what they are made of....its copper I know.

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:53 AM
Okay so i see what brad is talking about that they are for both the quad and twin cam. Anyone run one of these and care to chime in?

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:36 PM
well the way i see it is you mod the quad head to work on the LD9 block (which is bigger) and use the LD9 head gasket. so... since its bigger and has the silicone seals, you should be able to use it on any quad family engine because its just a little bigger than it needs to be.

thats the way i see it anyway... who knows though.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:29 PM
Well that makes sense. Something tells me though that it might be possible to run that head gasket with the 086 head on the ld9 without mods.

a quad 4 on boost is a beast. And Im talking about a 2.3

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search