Cone Filter on Stock Intake Tube (ecotec) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cone Filter on Stock Intake Tube (ecotec)
Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:22 AM
So, I just got done putting a Spectre cone filter on the end of my stock intake tube. When I decided to try this I began researching online and found out that there's not a lot of useful information about how to do this on an ecotec cav... It seemed like it'd be simple enough to do though, so I decided to go for it. When you remove the airbox cover and pull the filter out you'll notice that the factory intake tube going into the airbox is an oval. I thought this was going to be an issue. As it turned out, it wasn't a problem at all because the tube is flexible enough that you can just squeeze it into a circle (roughly 3" inside diameter). I went to autozone and picked up a Spectre cone filter for $25 and i 3"x4" piece of aluminum tubing for $8. All you have to do is stick the piece of aluminum tube as far as you can into the stock intake tube and clamp it down. then you just slide the other end into your cone filter and tighten that. The filter i bought has an outside diameter of 6" at the wide end. I decided i'd leave the airbox in with the filter resting on top and see if the hood would close without hitting it. It did. So all i did was remove the airbox cover filter and install the cone filter in its place. It looks good (in my opinion) and sounds pretty good too. $36.02 total

Here are a few pics:

Re: Cone Filter on Stock Intake Tube (ecotec)
Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:39 AM
I would of used a K&N Cone or other brand name (Cost about $40-$50) but looks okay. Seems like alot of people are against this but I dont see anything wrong with it. I removed the entire air box on my car though, air filter hit the hood.
$40 for a small gain OR $2-300 for a small gain plus a shinny pipe that adds an extra 2-3 HP....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:53 AM
on a side note, I would take the time to run the amp wire a little nicer (Through the firewall, with a grommet). I hope there is a fuse on that wire too, I've seen friends cars way back in high school start on fire because they were running there $500+ 2000watt amp with a $20 walmart wiring kit with 10 or 8 ga wiring and no fuse ( apparently it keep blowing)

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:05 AM
I would have bought a K&N filter but they didn't have the size i needed in stock and i'm pretty impatient so I just bought the cheaper one. And while K&N's are much nicer filters, I'm so poor that I could barely afford this setup. If I ever change the filter it'll be a K&N though for sure. Ad about the amp wire...I don't like how it looks right there either but it does have a fuse. I'll have to make time to pull it out and run it down through the firewall instead. Right now it goes through the fender and into the stretchy accordian grommet thing that connects to the door. it's safely away from anything sharp (door hinges, sharp metal edges, etc.) but it's ugly.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:33 PM
I was just looking for this type of picture yesterday. Looks good.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:43 PM
looks good, my project for this weekend ha, i think it should work for my ld9 to cause its got the oval end as well.
Monday, August 01, 2011 12:20 PM
I did this back in 02 when I was in high school.

I bought a K&N filter and played with putting it in different locations. First place was right on the end of the black plastic box that the accordion tube normally connects to. Worked ok but would rub the battery. Then I pulled the air box out of the car and placed at the end of the accordion tube using a 3"-3" exhaust coupler that I got from auto zone for like $4.

It was like that for a couple years. Until I decided to start actually working on the car and making it what it is right now.

Its not a huge improvement, but anything is better than nothing.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, August 04, 2011 2:26 PM
When i had my cavi, i put a k&n filter on the part that the tube hooks to like rick mentioned. i built a heat shield to block all of the heat coming form the radiator and engine tho. worked out well. and seemed to add some hp on the butt dino but who knows how accurate that is.
it did sound cool and it was more responsive than where you have it now( tried that too). only thing is to make sure your intake tube isnt rubbing on anything and gets a hole in it. thats why i moved mine.
Thursday, August 04, 2011 7:15 PM
Rick wrote:I would of used a K&N Cone or other brand name (Cost about $40-$50) but looks okay. Seems like alot of people are against this but I dont see anything wrong with it. I removed the entire air box on my car though, air filter hit the hood.
$40 for a small gain OR $2-300 for a small gain plus a shinny pipe that adds an extra 2-3 HP....

i don't know where the hell your'e searching but you can get an aluminum pipe intake all day every day for every engine available in 3rd gen j's for at or under 100 dollars. the eco is the only one that is kinda hard to come buy.

but on that note, if you really wanted to it's not that hard to use an ld9 intake on an eco, little bit of modification but nothing a 12 year old couldn't handle.

i'll take my $60 dollar one piece polished aluminum short ram intake with my $40 k+n filter over a spectre filter jammed on the end of the incredibly restrictive stock intake system any day of the week.

and no offense to op, but it doesn't "look good", in fact it looks like shiat. you shouldv'e just saved the 25 bucks you spent on that garbage autozone filter and saved for another week and gotten a system that was worth it. you probly just lost hp doing that lol

btw, post pics when the filter starts to rust. (yeah i thought it was all plastic too.....it's not, and it will rust)

Thursday, August 04, 2011 7:19 PM
What you should do is hop on ebay, buy the cheapest ecotec intake you can... slap the filter on it. they are all the same. will look and fit a million times better.

Friday, August 05, 2011 7:02 AM
blucavvy wrote:
Rick wrote:I would of used a K&N Cone or other brand name (Cost about $40-$50) but looks okay. Seems like alot of people are against this but I dont see anything wrong with it. I removed the entire air box on my car though, air filter hit the hood.

i don't know where the hell your'e searching but you can get an aluminum pipe intake all day every day for every engine available in 3rd gen j's for at or under 100 dollars. the eco is the only one that is kinda hard to come buy.

but on that note, if you really wanted to it's not that hard to use an ld9 intake on an eco, little bit of modification but nothing a 12 year old couldn't handle.

i'll take my $60 dollar one piece polished aluminum short ram intake with my $40 k+n filter over a spectre filter jammed on the end of the incredibly restrictive stock intake system any day of the week.

and no offense to op, but it doesn't "look good", in fact it looks like shiat. you shouldv'e just saved the 25 bucks you spent on that garbage autozone filter and saved for another week and gotten a system that was worth it. you probly just lost hp doing that lol

btw, post pics when the filter starts to rust. (yeah i thought it was all plastic too.....it's not, and it will rust)

I was refering to the AEM and other brand name intakes, last I checked, they were well over $100. Also the most restrictive part on the intake is probably the air box and the resonator box. The differance between the ebay pipe + k&n or brand name intake VS just putting a K&N filter on the end of the factory intake tubing is minimal.
Some might even argue that the metal pipe on an intake would get a lot hotter than the factory plastic pipe and make the intake temps higher. Others will say the factory tubing will create turbulance. Either way, the diffferance is small.

Also, I doubt he lost power, he would have most likely gained power, same thing if you took the whole intake system off and have an open TB, you would still gain power.... Is it good for your engine? No, I would say its not. I dont know much about spectra filters, maybe they are okay, maybe they are garbage, either way I would still use a K&N filter, I dont disagree with you there.

Friday, August 05, 2011 11:12 AM
stop talking. you lost me at the difference between an aftermarket intake designed for the car and the factory intake designed to be quiet is minimal.

is someone going to gain a "large" amount from an intake over a stock setup.......debatable. i've heard of dyno's showing a 6-10hp increase over stock. to me for under 100 dollars getting possibly ten horsepower is a big bang for buck mod. when you can gain 10hp out of a stock j with one mod it's a big difference lol

Friday, August 05, 2011 1:11 PM
blucavvy wrote:stop talking. you lost me at the difference between an aftermarket intake designed for the car and the factory intake designed to be quiet is minimal.

is someone going to gain a "large" amount from an intake over a stock setup.......debatable. i've heard of dyno's showing a 6-10hp increase over stock. to me for under 100 dollars getting possibly ten horsepower is a big bang for buck mod. when you can gain 10hp out of a stock j with one mod it's a big difference lol

If you are lost, you should learn to read. Where did I say anything about the difference between an aftermarket intake designed for the car and the factory intake designed to be quiet is minimal?
I am NOT arguing that $100 for 10 hp is not good... it is a great gain. you stated that only putting a filter on the end of the stock intake piping would actually "lose" power.... I said it would gain power and that the FACTORY AIR CLEANER BOX and the FACTORY RESONATOR BOX is the BIGGEST RESTRICTION ON THE FACTORY INTAKE. NOT THE PLASTIC PIPE. If you see a 6-10HP gain with the aftermarket intake, you would most likely see a 4-8HP gain with just putting a K&N filter on the stock pipe. Not bad for more than half the price.

Aftermarket intake > k&n on stock intake pipe > stock intake

Hope I didn't lose you again.

Friday, August 05, 2011 2:01 PM
Rick wrote: The differance between the ebay pipe + k&n or brand name intake VS just putting a K&N filter on the end of the factory intake tubing is minimal.

you didn't lose me anywhere. that is you i'm quoting right? go ahead and argue semantics. putting a filter on the end of the stock intake and using the stock intake the way it is is going to have the same effect. HE DIDN'T MAKE ANY HP PUTTING THAT POS SPECTRE FILTER ON THE END OF THAT INTAKE. even putting a high quality filter (like k+n) on the end of the stock intake system will have little, IF ANY gains.

y would you honestly believe a cheap autozone filter on the end of the stock intake system would make any better power over the stock intake system?

and i hate to break it to you but your'e 100% wrong. the ENTIRE stock intake is restrictive. even the oval shaped pipe with ribs all over it. those ribs break up the straight flow of air. which is y all aftermarket intakes are straight pipe. so no, it's not just the resonator and the airbox. the ENTIRE stock intake system was designed to lower noise and is incredibly restrictive.

the only way to actually free up the intake and create better airflow is to replace the ENTIRE thing, anything else is a complete and utter waste of time.

please show me dyno proof of someone gaining 4-8 hp with nothing but a k+n filter on the end of the stock intake. cone or panel.

Friday, August 05, 2011 2:35 PM
Even if I were to spend the extra money and buy an aftermarket intake for my cav to get the 6-10 extra hp, it'd still be a slow cavalier. I didn't put the filter on to gain wicked amounts of hp for my stripped out drag car...I bought it because I like the cone filter a lot better than the stock and I didn't feel like blowing the money on a k&n intake. I think it looks good and I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks. I personally hate POS sedans but that's my own opinion...i'm not gonna try to convince you that it's right.

It's all good tho, it's my car and the haters gon hate...

Friday, August 05, 2011 3:28 PM
i'm really not hating, i'm saying that had you saved an extra 50 bucks you could have had a much better looking and performing intake.

Friday, August 05, 2011 4:42 PM
Since this thread isn't getting anywhere lol, go grab a strut bar off a J vert for another cheap engine bay mod

Friday, August 05, 2011 7:14 PM
I have some for sale cheap

Friday, August 05, 2011 7:47 PM
blucavvy wrote:
Rick wrote: [
and i hate to break it to you but your'e 100% wrong. the ENTIRE stock intake is restrictive. even the oval shaped pipe with ribs all over it. those ribs break up the straight flow of air. which is y all aftermarket intakes are straight pipe. so no, it's not just the resonator and the airbox. the ENTIRE stock intake system was designed to lower noise and is incredibly restrictive.

the only way to actually free up the intake and create better airflow is to replace the ENTIRE thing, anything else is a complete and utter waste of time.

please show me dyno proof of someone gaining 4-8 hp with nothing but a k+n filter on the end of the stock intake. cone or panel.

I actually did. I would say you get more gain by just replacing the filter.....

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=316392&t=316392#316392

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Saturday, August 06, 2011 12:02 AM
how much you want for one o them strut bars?

Saturday, August 06, 2011 5:24 AM
30 bucks shipped to your door. i'm taking a killing on those after paying for shipping and the boxes (which are expensive to begin with), i'm actually losing money on the bars at this point. i'm doing it just to try and make some kind of money back

Saturday, August 06, 2011 5:30 AM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:
blucavvy wrote:
Rick wrote: [

I actually did. I would say you get more gain by just replacing the filter.....

that test was a fail from a get go. first off, you didn't oil the k+n filter like your'e supposed to.

second the stock air filter you were comparing it too means nothing since it had 8,000 miles of dirt and dust particles all over it like event pointed out.

so...........nice fail.

Saturday, August 06, 2011 10:22 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=277460&t=277460#277460

Not that I really care about arguing this point, as you likely lost horsepower by sucking in warm air from the engine, whereas the stock intake pulls air from the fender well

13.3 @ 106 mph Cammed
Sunday, August 07, 2011 4:17 AM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:

Not that I really care about arguing this point, as you likely lost horsepower by sucking in warm air from the engine, whereas the stock intake pulls air from the fender well

i'm not even really sure where your'e trying to go with that one?? , your'e just pulling up a thread that states that if you pull the whole STOCK intake system off you gain hp. well no @!#$.

and as far as the great short ram intake vs cold air intake i will go ahead and keep my place in it. there's this stuff called air, and it flies alllllll around up into the engine while your'e moving (especially when your'e moving fast which is the only time it'd actually matter) making the air temp in the bay roughly the same as outside.

the stock intake may pull air in from the fenderwell, but it did it using small tubing, lots of bends and ripples, a crappy filter, and a resonator. so no, i sincerely doubt i lost hp.

you do know when it's 110degrees outside a "cold air intake" is pretty much pointless right? cuz i'm pulling the same temp air inside the bay. especially since my filters more than a foot away from the engine and conveniently right next to the hood/fender opening.the air in my bay is no hotter than the air outside as long as the car is moving more than ten miles an hour. which like i said is the only time it should matter.

Sunday, August 07, 2011 7:28 AM
Secret Weapon intake.... with doubts some say overpriced, but in my words a great velocity increase....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search