Exhaust Questions? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust Questions?
Monday, August 22, 2011 11:22 AM
Hi guys I'm kinda new to this so don't hate. ha ha I'm looking to take the next step on my 2000 cavalier 2.4 build. i currently have a Weapon R WAI and a Pacesetter header and am thinking about exhaust. What I'm really wanting is higher performance. Good sound is always a plus tho. How far should I go in terms of my exhaust? I don't want to spend to to much, but I still want quality performance. Should I go with a cat back system, or just a muffler for now? Also has anyone run any cherry bomb exhaust? The reason I ask is that I have a place in my city with cherry bomb exhaust and magnaflow exhaust at 40% off.

Thanks in advance guys! I know its a lot of questions, but i wanna learn.

Re: Exhaust Questions?
Monday, August 22, 2011 11:31 AM
Do a little research, it'll help a lot.

Check this thread out for some ideas
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=339698&t=339698

Also, if you're going to do exhaust, might as well save up now, do it all, and do it the right way.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:22 AM
Well I have done a lot of research and i was kinda confused because lots of people say to just run the dynomax super turbo muffler alone on the stock piping. others say to go with a cat back magnaflow setup. Which is what i was kinda leaning towards. although when i go onto the magnaflow site the cat-back for the cavalier says it is for the 2.2 and i have a 2.4. Does anyone know if it would still fit? Thanks for any help.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:34 AM
If you plan on staying N/A and want the most performance, I would go with custom 2.25" exhaust all the way back, the cat-back only replaces the exhaust behind the cat to so the pipe between that and the header/manifold is still stock. if you want the best performance, replace it all, if you are just looking for a quick/cheap gain, you can replace just the muffler or buy a cat back, etc.
If a turbo is in the near future, I would say keep it cheap and save up for 2.5 or 3" when you get a turbo or just invest in other mods.

Also cherry bombs are good as a cheap resonator or for exhaust on a old V8 truck/car.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply Rick. well I was thinking that this would be the last mod for a little while until i finish the restoration on my other car. But somewhere in the future there may be a supercharger... The thing is if I can get 40% off a magnaflow cat back exhaust can i really go wrong? The thing is I thought that exhaust would be the logical next step. if i decided to wait for the boost for exhaust then where would i go now??
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:02 PM
Haha I'm sorry to be asking so many questions but I've been doing hours of research and can't find what i wanna know. I want boost later in my build and i want to not waste a lot of money on exhaust if i'll have to change it later anyways. If I got the magnaflow cat back exhaust for now and splurged on the "dual exhaust" version, would I have enough flow once the supercharger comes into play?

Thanks for any help.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:56 AM
If you plan on supercharger, I would step up to maybe 2.5" Not sure of the top of my head what magnaflow is.
If the magnaflow is a good deal, go for it but I would plan on upgrading the pipe between your header and the magna flow, make it all the same.
2.25" is also still okay for a mild supercharger build. If you plan on going any higher than 250hp though, I would recondmend atleast 2.5" though.
IMO, I would just stick with single exhaust, the dual is just extra weight, wont make a differance powerwise.

Also for referance, the factory exhaust for the cobalt SS/SC is 2.25" , I think the downpipe was a little bigger but can't remember now.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:40 PM
Thanks soo much thats the kind of answer i was waiting for. Magnaflow is 2.25''. for the single. But the double list 2.25'' as well as 2.5''.
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:29 PM
You are going to want a large resonator as well.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:53 PM
Mike wrote:You are going to want a large resonator as well.

if you go with magnaflow then this!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:17 AM
Very large, haha

Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:44 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. So I've done some research on resonators and have read that glasspacks work as well. Is this true? and where would it need to be welded, directly in front of the muffler?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search