Need some guidance on a ld9 build - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need some guidance on a ld9 build
Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:52 AM
Let me start off by saying that I have done research here on the forum. I've been reading through threads for a month now. So with that being said, I would like some guidance on which way a should go. with my build I have a 2000 Z24 with a spun bearing. The cars been sitting since April of last year due to a lack of funds. I have decided to rebuild the engine with a goal of 175whp. That maybe overkill since I will be using the car as a DD and have no plans to track it as of yet. From what I've read it appears that it may be easier to use a turbo to reach my goal although I know that several people have accomplished this NA.

I was wondering if it would be cheaper to build the engine correctly with a turbo versus NA. Also, will one be more mpg friendly then the other? I know it can be done either way but would like a little guidance. This will be my first engine build. I am planning on spending around $4000 on the build.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Need some guidance on a ld9 build
Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:57 AM
honestly, 174whp isnt that hard n/a. but if all you want is 175whp then just go ahead and do the gm supercharger kit. a stock motor with the stock tune gm provides etc 175whp is going to be right on where it'd be.

do a stock rebuild on the engine (prolly just a crank and bearings) and do the 2.3 oil pump swap then buy a used supercharger kit and you'll have MAYBE $1700 into the whole project.

i love n/a but it is hard on things and its not the most reliable. and reliability is exactly what you need with a daily driver. the blower would be perfect for you IMO.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:47 AM
I'm with Brad.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:05 PM
Even over 200 WHP my S/C build was reliable, and fun.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:08 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Even over 200 WHP my S/C build was reliable, and fun.

Absolutely. I have 219whp, and the car is fun and reliable.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:55 PM
the gm s/c is a good bolt on application, no maintenance except for changing the s/c oil every 100,000kms i believe which is no problemo and puts out that extra bit of power youre looking for

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:06 PM
Just a question on the subject. Ive heard that a stock LD9 rated at 150 only gets about 120 to the wheels(correct me if im wrong because I don't know.)
Are you saying the GM Supercharger ads 55HP to the wheels instantly regardless of other modifications?

I no NOTHING about superchargers as far as types, differences, and applications. Is there more than one that you can hook up to an LD9? I know the car will need reprogrammed to run with it. Is this something the dealer has to do once installed or do you have to find a performance shop?(the closest one to me is 160 miles away or id be harassing them with these questions lol)
Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:27 PM
You have 2 real options, the Eaton m45 kit which was designed for the 2.4ld9 engine. It will push the HP to about 190 but with most basic supporting modifcations like cams, intake, full exhaust most people see around 200HP. The max PSI most see on this setup is 7 PSI and is know to run very hot after prolonged usage. Great option for reliablity with good power at minimal cost. Most effective on the 2000-2002 models.

The second option you have which is more costly is the Eaton M62 that was commonly found on the Cobalt SS and Ion Redline. This involves a custom intake manifold which are hard to come by and ususally cost around 800-$1,000 alone. This charger is know to push around 250HP with ease on a good tune and 42lb injectors. This will require a full exhaust and usually a heat exchanger setup to be effective. This option is slightly more complicated although worth it in the end because of the power gains associate to the extra cost.
Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:45 PM
As far as i know, you can get the M62 to LD9 manifold from OEM http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:45 PM
I'm assuming the kit you're referring to is p/n 12498660. Is the m45 a different supercharger then the one in the kit?
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:11 PM
You can also get the vortech sc set up. Wich runs off your intake cam. It's pretty expensive. And hard to find parts for. If your missing any part of the kit. I havent heard of many people using it so i cant tell you what kiind of gains to expect from it.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:43 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search