best 2.2 block/ head combo?? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best 2.2 block/ head combo??
Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:40 PM
Is the best combo for the 2.2 a 98+ block with a pre 97 head?

Re: best 2.2 block/ head combo??
Friday, November 25, 2011 7:58 PM
yes,
If you put the early head on the late block, you will get about a 10.8 to 1 compression ratio. However there are other differences that may not work as well. I'm not sure how to describe it but there are cooling path differences.

dennis
Friday, November 25, 2011 8:39 PM
U will need to use the head gasket that matches the head u r using, the gaskets are different. Also with that much compression a tune is a must, i shaved. 050 off my head uping the compression close to a point (now in the mid 9.*). Made my knock sensors go nuts even with 91. Still running the 96 ecm im unable to tune but i got the knock sensors to shut up when i want them to so it wont back out timing
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:42 PM
so, a 9? - 97 head/gasket with a 98-01 block will put you around 10.8:1, but a tune is needed/highly recomended? is this right

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:34 PM
hunter krapfl wrote:so, a 9? - 97 head/gasket with a 98-01 block will put you around 10.8:1, but a tune is needed/highly recomended? is this right

my error for saying something about cooling path differences. I believe that's the difference from the truck to the car engine as the outlet for the coolant exits the head at opposite ends for the truck (rear wheel drive) and the car (front wheel drive). I don't think there are cooling path differences from the early model (1994 to 1997) to the late model (1998 to ?2002). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (although I've only made one mistake in my life--I thought I was wrong but found out it was a mistake)

otherwise, it's not necessary to have a later block and an earlier head to gain the benefit of higher compression. It can be done by simply swapping in the later year pistons, which are only about $20 each on Summit Racings website. Obviously you'll need to have the block bored and new gaskets, rings, etc.

As far as needing a tune, yes it would be advised. You'll also need to run premium fuel. BTW, without other changes, you're not looking at much of a horsepower increase for bumping up the compression.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/hp-cr-chg.php shows the hp increase to be about 6 hp.

dennis
Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:36 AM
but thats not an option for me, well not a reasonable one at least, i have a 2001, so would it be worth it to get an early model head? i can get a head for around free-20 dollars thats why i ask, and also i would port/valves/springs/1.6 rockers while i have the head sitting on a bench in my shop. so i need to know should i get an early head or a 98+. both same low price

Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:58 AM
Switching heads on a 98+ is way too much work, im not sure if anyone here has done that. Im not quite sure t u would.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search