3800 supercharger on LD9? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3800 supercharger on LD9?
Monday, December 12, 2011 1:58 PM
i came across a 3800 motor with a super charger and was wondering who all has modded it for a LD9. If so what did ya have to do and what numbers were you pushing?

Re: 3800 supercharger on LD9?
Monday, December 12, 2011 2:04 PM
nope, nothing short of custom will make it work. Most just swap the whole 3800 in.
Monday, December 12, 2011 2:08 PM
To my knowledge only one M90 has been fabricated up to run on a LD9. Also one has been fabbed up to a quad 4.

Both are similar, and there are two routes to go.

Route one custom pulley, and mount to physically hold the M90 in proper alignment with the pulleys. Then an adapter is made and it is run to the throttle body like a turbo setup.

Route two is having a custom manifold made, and bolting the M90 to that,and then directly to the head.

Both routes require a lot of custom parts and brackets. The first being the cheaper route....probably.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, December 12, 2011 2:13 PM
Do superchargers help the low end tourque which will help on gas?
Monday, December 12, 2011 2:16 PM
miles gillings wrote:Do superchargers help the low end tourque which will help on gas?

A Supercharger can give good low end torque.

As far as making it good on gas. Well depends on how you drive it.

FU Tuning

Monday, December 12, 2011 2:25 PM
I don't do alot of racing, and especially on a car that makes 150tq ( at the wheels at the flywheel at the Shifter know who knows ) at around 4500rpm and around 100 - 150 from 1800rpm, I am just looking for that little bit of extra 50 hp to the 1800-3000rpm range, If I could get my ram air, better velocity headers and manifold, the 3inch header back exhaust and a super charger to throw around 50 hp my way at 1800-3000, Id be saving LOADS O GAS.
Monday, December 12, 2011 2:37 PM
A little light reading.... Cliff Notes: Don't bother

I have no signiture
Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:34 AM
I hate when newbs try to justify their stupid questions.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:08 AM
depends on which "3800" supercharger to which to referr...

if you mean the "M90" then mike hit the nail on the head.

if you mean the OLDER "m62" then yes that has definitely been done and it works quite well. cody star has the setup on his car at current and has ran a best of 14.4 on street tires, full weight, and its an auto. the setup came off the technic cavalier and has a complete custom intake manifold/ heat exchanger setup made from scratch. if you tried to duplicate the setup you would have many thousands into it.

personally, i think blowers are a waste of time. judging from the times previously recorded around here from all sorts of blown cars you can go just as fast and stay just as reliable with a stout n/a build.

if ur gonna go to all the trouble of a custom m90 setup you may as well just do a turbo setup and make mounds more power instead.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:32 PM
You'd be better off to use the M90 off of a T-bird SuperCoupe. Just because of the mounting issues.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, December 16, 2011 3:16 PM
miles gillings wrote:Do superchargers help the low end tourque which will help on gas?

i do agree it depends on how you drive but since blowers are always "in boost" they are typically worse for gas mileage when comparing them to turbos

Friday, December 16, 2011 8:27 PM
the_miker17(u kiddin) wrote:

i do agree it depends on how you drive but since blowers are always "in boost" they are typically worse for gas mileage when comparing them to turbos

Superchargers aren't always "in boost". Bypass valves are used to avoid this. The rotors probably have more inertia at speed, contributing to slightly less mpg, but the differences are small. But yes, under boosted conditions, superchargers are generally less efficient.

I have no signiture
Saturday, December 17, 2011 1:40 PM
^^ ok yes i under stand that but they are still in some way robbing power from the engine although it is a small maybe a unnoticeable amount i just couldn't think of the right term at the time. Also i do have a regal gs with a sc 3.8 and it gets slightly worse gas mileage then a non sc 3.8 when not showing it boost
Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:05 PM
the_miker17(u kiddin) wrote:^^ ok yes i under stand that but they are still in some way robbing power from the engine although it is a small maybe a unnoticeable amount i just couldn't think of the right term at the time. Also i do have a regal gs with a sc 3.8 and it gets slightly worse gas mileage then a non sc 3.8 when not showing it boost

Really? I could have sworn that on the highway my GTP was rated 1MPG better than the GT model. Didn't really matter with the way I drove it though.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, December 19, 2011 4:14 AM
the_miker17(u kiddin) wrote:

Yeah definitely not always in boost...true they keep extra load on the motor at all times, but if you can keep you foot out of the floor board you can still maintain decent mpg. I'm running a m62 with 3.1" pulley, 60# injectors, and can easily get mid 30's if I'm not driving with a lead foot.

Monday, December 26, 2011 7:19 AM
i get 500km to a tank in my car theres next wo no load on the charger then the bypass valve is open its no more load then an alternator its just spinning its not compressing anything its basicly free wheelin

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search