P0420.... High Flow Cat - My turn - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
P0420.... High Flow Cat - My turn
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:18 PM
Yeah I got the P0420, catalyist effeciancy. Ereased it, came back 2 days later. I have the performance curve hgh flow cat. Was going good for a year and a half, but oh well.

What do you guys do to stop this? Does the spark plug non-fouler's trick work? What size/thread pitch do we use?
What about a sensor "fooler"? Or maybe cut the wires and solder in some resistors? But it's a heated o2, so, i'm not sure how well this would work. Not sure how smart our PCM's are. Like if it's heating up but reading the same voltage through heat up and cool dowm, is our pcm smart enough to say hey, this sensor isn't working right and through another CEL?

So what'd you guys do?

Re: P0420.... High Flow Cat - My turn
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:32 PM
This was what I was thinking for the simulator.
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:49 PM
No comment.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:02 PM
Ooh is this a subject I'm not supposed to ask about? If so my bad.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:12 PM
Easiest way to take care of that is hptuners. You can also use the spark plug antifoulers to remove the o2 from the exhaust stream. Click Here

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:53 PM
Yeah I was asking about that trick too. Like I said I knew of 3 possibilites, the Simulator, the resistor (not a great idea) and the antifoulers, which I think I'll be doing.
Do our o2 sensors use the 18mm size? Does anyone know off hand?

Also, I'm not starring at that damn light until I get HP Tuners. We're talking 6+ months from now before I get this turbo on. But I was aware that that is the easiest way.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:08 PM
I could be wrong but I think that the simulator is just a fancy resistor.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:35 PM
hptuners and you're done... just turn the code off...

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:51 PM
Sunfiretun3r wrote:Yeah I was asking about that trick too. Like I said I knew of 3 possibilites, the Simulator, the resistor (not a great idea) and the antifoulers, which I think I'll be doing.

Also, I'm not starring at that damn light until I get HP Tuners. We're talking 6+ months from now before I get this turbo on. But I was aware that that is the easiest way.

The 18mm antifoulers should do the trick. Those are the ones I used before I got hptuners.

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:34 AM
Rare5spd wrote:
Sunfiretun3r wrote:Yeah I was asking about that trick too. Like I said I knew of 3 possibilites, the Simulator, the resistor (not a great idea) and the antifoulers, which I think I'll be doing.

The 18mm antifoulers should do the trick. Those are the ones I used before I got hptuners.

Thanks bud I appreciate the help.

Mystic I know hptuners is the best. Like I said I know that's thbe easiest way. I just need something for now.

Zz z I wasn't sure if that simulator would have a set resistance value for both the heater circuit and the signal voltage or even how all that worked. Which is why I made this post in the first place.

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:21 PM
A sensor simulator is a voltage generator, not a resistor. It sends a varying voltage to the PCM, simulating what a sensor would do. Our cars run a test while they're running, that increases or reduces fuel a little. It anticipates the voltage change during the test. If the voltage expected is the voltage measured, we're good. Most of the time the simulator works, but sometimes it misses during the test and throws the light. I've run a simulator for a while and only have to reset my light every 4-6 months.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:47 PM
Voltage generator, that would make sense since my dumb ass forgot, yeah it plugs into the vehicle harness, not the sensor itself. Retard moment? Too much on my mind I guess.

I did the spark plug antifoulers method. Just in case someone searches the 18mm size worked perfectly. Definitely recommend drilling them out with a drill press. I highly doubt I would have been able to do it by hand without taking out a finger, hand, or pulling my hair out.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:22 AM
^^It worked and is keeping the code off??
Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:12 PM
^^ So far yeah, its working fine. I'll update again once some more time has passed, but thus far, today I was driving in perfect conditions for the catalyst monitor to run and no CEL.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:50 PM
Excitedly waiting
Monday, February 20, 2012 4:46 PM
well man, the the anti-foulers are only like $8. It's worth a try either way, ya know?

Still nothing today too.

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:55 PM
Drill wut out

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:22 AM
You drill one of the anti-foulers so that the o2 sensor and fit through it.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:57 AM
Oh ok so i need 2

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:02 AM
Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:24 AM
Thanks fir the pig

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search