Forged engine internals - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Forged engine internals
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:08 PM
Is it possible to just call a company and tell them I want a 2.2 OHV engine with all forged internals? If there is it would be awesome if I can get a website or something.

Re: Forged engine internals
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:48 PM
Ryan Levesque wrote:Is it possible to just call a company and tell them I want a 2.2 OHV engine with all forged internals? If there is it would be awesome if I can get a website or something.

Yes, it is possible given enough money. However, the market for high performance, forged crank, rods, pistons for a 2.2 is limited even though there were millions made.
Like any business, manufacturers of aftermarket parts aim their energy and investment toward the place where the return is greatest. In J bodies that will be the ecotec.

dennis
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:56 AM
MasterFlight wrote:
Ryan Levesque wrote:Is it possible to just call a company and tell them I want a 2.2 OHV engine with all forged internals? If there is it would be awesome if I can get a website or something.

Yes, it is possible given enough money. However, the market for high performance, forged crank, rods, pistons for a 2.2 is limited even though there were millions made.
Like any business, manufacturers of aftermarket parts aim their energy and investment toward the place where the return is greatest. In J bodies that will be the ecotec.

dennis
idk... in theory this is right... but there are plenty of manufacturers making parts for the ln2 and the LD9 still... i would not say their is a shortage of supply yet.

To the OP. Call a machine shop... Any machine shop.

but you will spend probably twice as much money. Not only will you pay them to install everything, but you will also pay them to locate the parts for you.

You'll need some serious money for this idea.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:26 AM
^^ YUp...look at ZZP's engines
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:42 AM
I don't like the ecotec, I know its a much better engine performance ways and after market parts. But most people don't realise what the 2.2 OHV is capable of. My head and head bolts are capable of 600 HP. WITH FORGED INTERNALS. Lets see the ecotec do that. With the stock head and head bolts.
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:47 AM
Philly D wrote:^^ YUp...look at ZZP's engines

link to the engines?
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:20 AM
Ryan Levesque wrote:I don't like the ecotec, I know its a much better engine performance ways and after market parts. But most people don't realise what the 2.2 OHV is capable of. My head and head bolts are capable of 600 HP. WITH FORGED INTERNALS. Lets see the ecotec do that. With the stock head and head bolts.

you know incorrectly then. the only reason the quad family stuff hasnt gotten to the heights of the eco is because nobody has really, REALLY pushed them. you throw a set of forged pistons, jet titanium rods (or pauter, crower,eagle), rocket parts forged crank and all associated other hardware into a quad 4 with a standalone and enough boost you will be right there with any ecotec. the parts are out there you just gotta know where to look.

ur head bolts are capable of 600hp? really? ....where are the dyno sheets proving that an OHV has even hit 600whp? ..let alone 500whp? and the proof the head bolts are fine? wheres that?

sorry, i hate the ecotec but it owns the OHV by lightyears.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:22 AM
Ryan Levesque wrote:I don't like the ecotec, I know its a much better engine performance ways and after market parts. But most people don't realise what the 2.2 OHV is capable of. My head and head bolts are capable of 600 HP. WITH FORGED INTERNALS. Lets see the ecotec do that. With the stock head and head bolts.

Its been done.... And nobody had made "600 hp" on an LN2 with stock head and head bolts....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:50 AM
Agreed..

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:21 AM
Dons speed shop newington CT told me that the OHV head and head bolts are capable, u can't find any thing like that because no one knows the capabilities of the OHV. One way or another the OHV is a decent engine to put money into if u want dependability and decent power. Don't bitch me out I said DECENT power
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:59 AM
I absolutley love how newbs come on here and think they know basic engine skills.
@!#$ increbible to me!
Just a laugh, I want to have over 600HP, but Im going to buy my engine preassembled
So if I cant assemble my own engine, my 600HP possible car will probably cost around 30K for me to pay someone to do all the custom work needed ot be done.
Instead of me getting a little grease and gimre under my nails. Boo hoo hoo!

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:50 AM
Dude. I would shut the f**k up. I work in a machine shop and can build my own engine with just the block and head with just the cost of materials witch in all would probably be around 1500 for me. I would not. Build the barings tho. And my head bolts are probably not capable of 600 HP will but the head is strong. And I might be a new member on j-body but I'm not new to cars and how my engine works.
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:59 AM
Ryan Levesque wrote:Dons speed shop newington CT told me that the OHV head and head bolts are capable, u can't find any thing like that because no one knows the capabilities of the OHV. One way or another the OHV is a decent engine to put money into if u want dependability and decent power. Don't bitch me out I said DECENT power
I know the limits of a stock LN2... I made over 300whp with stock bottom end(had mild port/polish).... I can assure you the stock head bolts won't support that type of pressures to support 600hp without stretching, and I have serious doubts about it being able to flow properly at those type of numbers also...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:09 AM
Dude I'm taking HP at the engine not the weals.
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:20 AM
weal then... lol

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:22 AM
Ryan Levesque wrote:Dude I'm taking HP at the engine not the weals.

It doesn't matter. The head bolts will stretch. Also, according to the S-10 forums somewhere around 300-350 whp is when some head bolts start to stretch....

So at the crank 400ish HP.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:31 AM
Yeah.... -__- 600 HP at the weals. Your hole engine would need to be forged and the head bolts made from diamond. Haha 600I HP at the weal would be over 1000 HP at the engine. It IS possible the2 making of the 2.2 OHV died from his own engine. 1000 HP dragster with the 2.2 in it. I have no idea if its true. I was talking to some one about it from a shop.
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:34 AM

That is all.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:38 AM
Okay. I'm still going back and forth on going nitrous or low boost. What is a safe forced induction?
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:20 AM
Fart in the intake

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:54 AM
Any forced induction is safe. Its all in how its tuned

Btw who ever told you that it takes 1000bhp to make 600whp should be shot.maybe in a 4x4 or something but the drivetrain loss isn't 40% on a fwd. I would be surprised if it were more than 10-15%.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 11:10 AM
Drivetrain losses for the 4t40 should be around 15-18%, although the condition of the trans could make it more.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 11:29 AM
It was a guy at a shop. They work mainlyon on old muscle cars. I'm the only one that goes there with a OHV 2.2 cav. But if I can do any amount of forced induction with the right tuning. How about 100yours shot of wet nitrous? Isn't that the same type of princible? More oxygen in the combustion chamber?
Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:17 PM
If you have a 2.2 swap it out for a 3.1 or 3.4 v6. then build that motor up and boost it. or just stock i think overall your money would be better spent doing that then it would be to keep the boat anchor.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:54 PM
Haha I know what your saying. But I'm worried about the engine mounts tho.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search