motor swap question. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
motor swap question.
Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:58 PM
Figured out my 03 cavalier needs a new motor thanks to the timing chain breaking. My question is can I swap the 2.4 l into it instead of the 2.2? The motor is out of and hhr.

2.2 ecotec (stock internals) typhoon k&n in take 2 inch drop springs

Re: motor swap question.
Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:34 PM
You can use the LE5 block and that's about it. You would need an external crank trigger wheel for timing purposes since the crank between the 2 motors is toothed differently. You would also need to swap on a L61 (2.2) head, since the j-body PCM can't control VVT and direct injection, and the le5 head has no place for the power steering pump.

The le5/l61 has been done alot and there are threads here documenting that if you'd choose to go that route. You could of course run the whole le5 if you used a stand alone computer system, but the j-body's electronics will definitely not play nicely with a complete le5.

I guess long story short, unless you want to do a hybrid build, answer is no.

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:38 AM
I dont know if im misunderstanding your answer or you misunderstood the question. I dnt want to just do a head or block swap im looking to do the whole thing. I found a motor out of the 07 hhr with low miles and its cheaper thats why im asking.

2.2 ecotec (stock internals) typhoon k&n in take 2 inch drop springs
Friday, March 30, 2012 3:44 PM
you'll have to rewire the car back to the tail lights to say the least...

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:22 PM
robert lyons wrote:I dont know if im misunderstanding your answer or you misunderstood the question. I dnt want to just do a head or block swap im looking to do the whole thing. I found a motor out of the 07 hhr with low miles and its cheaper thats why im asking.

I think you are misunderstanding the answer. He stated it could not be done unless you run a stand alone computer. Other option would be to rewire the entire car with the donor cars complete harness.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search