friends car making rattling/ticking sound? (ld9) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
friends car making rattling/ticking sound? (ld9)
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:41 PM
friend of mine was at the shop the other day and his car (99 z24) was sitting outside idling hot. i was standing next to it and at an idle you can hear a soft rattling sound that sounds internal, i was just wondering if any of you are familiar with this, we popped the hood and tried to listen for the sound with a scope but it just seems to come from somewhere in the head, possibly the timing chain housing? the noise is hard to describe its barely audible like a soft knocking/rattling and you cant hear it over the engine at anything above an idle? any help would be appreciated hes pretty worried about it

Re: friends car making rattling/ticking sound? (ld9)
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:16 PM
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:41 PM
i agree... my rod bearing ticked slightly above idle for 2 years before it finally spun and produced a full rod knock

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:18 PM
ok thanks guys, ill let him know, if it makes any difference his is only at idle, anything above and it goes away, he described the sound as " almost like a chain rattling quietly inside the block"?
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:02 PM
perhaps his timing chain tensioner is about to crap out?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:36 PM
Sounds like a lifter to me.. I've never heard a soft nock or tick come from a rod. However sound does travel well in these motors.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:56 PM
i had a very soft knock (Sounded like a quiet tick) from a rod bearing...

i had it for two years, you wouldn't hear it at all at idle, you'd start hearing it at 1500, and it get faster (but not louder) at higher rpms...

then a lifter exploded and bent a valve... i replaced the entire valve-train ... new head with new springs, valves, retainers, keepers --- secret cams with new housings and lifters. Nothing was reused except the fuel injectors and manifolds. The tick persisted until it turned in to a full rod knock. The tear down showed a cyl 3 rod spin, no other damage to any other internal.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:31 PM
That's just it when I heard mine it wasn't till under load or at higher rpms. When I had bad lifteers it was at idle and all rpms but never sounded like a hard knock.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:10 PM
ive never heard lifter tick... Ive had a few explode over the past few motors, and when they go... they go... without much warning besides a few misfires prior...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search