complete engine build - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
complete engine build
Monday, April 16, 2012 2:22 PM
So I'm wanting to redo my 1996 2.4 ld9. Im needing advice on what all I need to redo. this is some of the parts that I'm going to be getting
forged pistons .60 getting the block line bored to the pistons
maybe eagle rods. Unless I just get the old ones redone
cams.. idk yet thinking 2.3
head. Either swapping to the 2.3 or just getting mine built
crank. Getting it tturned
2.3 oil pump swap
replacing timing chain.
Idk what else really. My dad is going to help me on it Bc he builds race motors but there is Alot of difference between a 430 small block and a 2.4 ld9.... so any advice and parts for sale would be helpfull

Re: complete engine build
Monday, April 16, 2012 2:52 PM
If your forging the pistons why not the rods?
Why stop at 2.3 cams? Go w41.
Get the 2.3 springs or the crowers. And 2.3 retainers and lifters.
since your at the machine shop anyways get the cam towers bored out for the bigger lifters. And since the ld9 head is stronger just p&p it.
And wrap it all together with a nice underdrive crank pulley. MD is working on another batch I think.

You'll be happier just going wild with it instead of biting your tongue to go mild.
Monday, April 16, 2012 4:25 PM
Get your block tested for core shift BEFORE getting the pistons... some LD9 blocks cannot handle .060 over

Get the eagle rods... why forge the pistons if you aren't forging the rods... make sure you balance both the rod and piston combo together

build the 2.4 head...

2.3 HO or 2.3 W41 (Since they are both 2.3 cams) cams are nice... use the HO exhaust housing and modify your intake housing, as well as the intake cam.
---In both cases, you are going to want to P&P your head, run the HO intake Mani, and a decent header (like ron's header)

at that point you are going to want 2.3 HO springs... i advise against the crowers until someone actually installs them to a head and runs them, right now they are just a theory...
--Make sure you get GM HO Springs, sealed power springs cannot be revved past 7200 RPM without risking valve float.
--You can find titanium retainers that adapt the 2.4 valve with 2.3 springs and keepers

While you are in the block, shave 3-8 lbs off the crank and get it balanced.

put it all together, and find you a tuning solution... You can upgrade to OBD2 and get a 1997-1999 PCM and use HPTuners, or you can go standalone...

I'd also highly recommend you get a good wideband 02 sensor for tuning.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 16, 2012 4:27 PM

Monday, April 16, 2012 5:30 PM
I should be running another gp soon.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 16, 2012 5:49 PM
no header? i highly suggest one of Rons section8 headers
did i miss something or was there no mention of compression or boost?

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:02 PM
hmm... you're right... no compression mentioned...

i'd recommend 11:1 - 12:1 ...

Boost on the other-hand belongs in the boost forum... Performance is for N/A builds, and thus i treat threads as such...

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:19 PM
I might be testing out the crowed theory with the w41 cams on stock lifters. Call me an idiot but it looks do-able. Why run the 2.3 intake on a n/a build?
Monday, April 16, 2012 10:53 PM
the 2.3 intake is almost necessary with HO and Larger Cams... My .430 lift .222 dur Crane Cams (which are bigger than W41 cams), require as much air as they can get...

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:09 AM
If you use LD9 lifters, what springs are you going to use?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:13 AM
Crower spring Part Number 68190. Is still need better retainers but no machine shop work... In theory.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:26 AM
Mike if the crower springs pan out you will be able to use LD9 lifters with them. The math says they will fit but I need to try them out on my spare head.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 4:18 PM
I should be putting my motor together in a month or two so will know if the Crowers fit by then if Cory doesn't beat me to it.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Saturday, April 21, 2012 4:25 PM
I should get to test fitting on Monday.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search