any thoiught on these? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
any thoiught on these?
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 5:58 PM

Re: any thoiught on these?
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:38 PM
Look like stock replacements to me.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:47 PM
^^^thats what i thought as well.

i dont know if stock is hyperutectic's or not but if ur worried about strength have them suckers cryotreated and coated.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 7:19 PM
****Opinion**** and facts that led to it. lol
Ive always been told to ignore the hype on Hyper-Eutectic pistons and just get forged ones because they are a CAST aluminum and silicon based part.
Yes they are stronger than stock and very light, but they are weaker than a forged piston depending on the silicon present, and you never REALLY know what ratio they use. It can be anywhere from 10%-25% or more(because you don't know). This is what makes the piston stronger, but beyond 19% it can begin to be counterproductive depending on the diameter of the piston. (The wider the diameter of the piston the further from 25% it needs to be to keep its integrity)20-25% is the absolute peak. After that it starts losing strength.
Some people don't see this as a drawback. I see it as iffy at best, or for people who aren't really pushing their engine, and/or are just doing a quality rebuild. In that sense they're perfect.

The only way I would even consider using them personally would be to order directly from a *keyword*reputable company who has customer service that will talk to me on the phone, and give me the silicon content ratio that they are using for them. That way when they say 19% you can go ehhhh or 12% and fistpump lol Or one who has it posted on the site when you look it up for your engine. Even then i'm not sure i'd choose them over forged ones. Especially if I were going to boost(as you said you were eventually)

As far as how reliable they are in our specific engines idk. I personally wouldn't even question it and go forged if I were going over 200HP(just to throw a rough guesstimate out there).

If you have your heart set on it for whatever reason, definitely don't buy them from a Generic Performance shop on Ebay who only has a total of 700 sales. Even if you talk to this guy, hes going to assume if you know to ask your going to want to hear a lower silicon content.
Just off the top of my head(and im not vouching for them, just giving you a place to start) SpeedPro are the ones I heard about first a few years back and they're still making them and are carried by Jegs, Summit racing etc... You could check and see if they have them for our engines.

Just seriously, stay away from ebay completely unless its somebody you know on here that can be vouched for. 90% of the time theres a reason they're on Ebay. And its not because they're doing so well they needed to expand lol

Hope this helped a little.
Good luck bro!
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 10:20 PM
Thanks for the input. The only reason i looked is because I'm blew right past my budget for the rebuild. I'm going to call venolia for a quote. I heard there good on prices. That's good info on the silicon content tho. If anyone else knows a decently priced forged piston, fill me in!
Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:22 AM
I was bored today and was looking around and this site seems to offer a large rebuild package with a decent price range. Idk what yours is, but all of this stuff should be replaced anyways with a rebuild. Idk what you already have and don't have yet either so lol sorry if this isn't something you need. http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/pek-cavalier.html
Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:43 AM
Complete Gasket Set. My price I found-210

Performance MLS Head Gasket. my price- haven't looked yet

Arias/Wiseco Forged Pistons (90, 90.5, 91mm bore) (9.5-1, 10.5-1 comp ratio). My price-500

Performance Moly Rings. My price- included with pistons

Performance Wrist Pins - Ultra Lite 79 grams (stock pins weight 112 grams). My price-also included

Federal Mogul Main Bearings. My price-assuming oem 60

Federal Mogul Rod Bearings. My price-again assuming oem 60-80

Balance Shaft Bearings. Do i really need them? Thinking of 2.3 swap...

Timing Chain. My price-30 but I'd just get the timing set for 200 with guides and tensioner.

Lifters. I heard there not cheap.
Price-lil over 1k

My prices equal closer to 15 with the stuff I don't have prices for yet.
Question is-has anyone gone through them? Or bought the kit? Ill have to call and maybe get the rods subed for what i don't need. Its nice. But the again I don't know s&h either. And I'm a$$ tired from work at the moment and I'm kinda ranting but i need this car goin eventually so i can find a normal job. As in not 11pm to 7am.
Thursday, May 03, 2012 7:33 AM
Cadillacin wrote:
Just seriously, stay away from ebay completely unless its somebody you know on here that can be vouched for. 90% of the time theres a reason they're on Ebay. And its not because they're doing so well they needed to expand lol

I disagree, while there is a ton of junk, if you exercise common sense there are a ton of deals too. I bought NIB crower valve springs for less than I could find anywhere else, also there are great deals on eagle rods as well, I even got a NIB felpro gasket seer for $50 once. Also Summit and Jegs are eBay vendors just to prove that not only bad businesses sell there. And the rare quad4 parts members have found on there over the years, would have never been found without EBay. So yes there is junk, possibly these pistons, but there is a ton of stuff on there that is not. Don't shy away, if your unsure exercise brain power as the OP did here and ask others if they have used the product.

Thursday, May 03, 2012 10:23 AM
Good point Zs Z. EBay can be a savior or the exact opposite. I hate how its not an auction site anymore tho. But like you said there still treasures to be had while browsing eBay.
Thursday, May 03, 2012 1:46 PM
Zs Z wrote:
Cadillacin wrote:

I disagree, while there is a ton of junk, if you exercise common sense there are a ton of deals too. I bought NIB crower valve springs for less than I could find anywhere else, also there are great deals on eagle rods as well, I even got a NIB felpro gasket seer for $50 once. Also Summit and Jegs are eBay vendors just to prove that not only bad businesses sell there. And the rare quad4 parts members have found on there over the years, would have never been found without EBay. So yes there is junk, possibly these pistons, but there is a ton of stuff on there that is not. Don't shy away, if your unsure exercise brain power as the OP did here and ask others if they have used the product.

Eh it was just my opinon, thats why i made sure to *** that word lol. You make a lot of really good points, I should've probably worded that better.... lol
When you're talking long distance junkyard, or new 'old stock'(replacement items) or just the used stuff thats hard to find, I would probably look on there as well so long as there was a physical picture of the part.
I was trying to steer him away from the things like mom n pop pistons, and all the little 5HP adders that don't really do anything, and beat suspension parts. Basically anything that can be easily mislabeled and/or reboxed. If you're talking things that are clearly brand name labeled(not just the box) thats different because you DO know exactly what you are getting, and the seller has little to do with it.
I know a guy who bought lowering springs, that were just garbage, or painted or cut stock springs. But they came in the Eibach box (im assuming the seller installed them on his car and sold/sent the stock or other garbage ones he had in the new box. I only say this because his 'lowering kit' only dropped the car about 1/2" lol so Im pretty sure its not the 1.4" drop he ordered.(even though hes still running them and talking like they are lol)

If you're going to Ebay, just exercise extreme caution, and like Zz Z said, common sense.
With anything, research research research(like you seem to be doing)

As far as that kit goes, it was just something I came across and skimmed over because it looked like a fair price and would give you somewhere to start in comparing prices for the parts accumulation for the total rebuild. I don't like to 'vouche' for parts that I haven't used or heard mass feedback on. I just noticed that they were brand name parts in a slightly larger package than ive seen. I'm sure there are other more/less complete ones out there. Then again if you look at cost, they're just swapping the rods out for some smalls and making you pay extra for them.(though Eagle Rods I will vouche for. I honestly don't think I've personally ever heard a bad review about anything that Eagle makes)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search