MERGED: What is the quietest exhaust available? Will CobaltSS free up power. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MERGED: What is the quietest exhaust available? Will CobaltSS free up power.
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:23 AM
So I just bought a pacesetter header for my 2001 cavalier z24 but I am looking for the quietest catback available. I was kind of thinking of just modifying a cobalt SS muffler and throwing that on there but I'm not sure if that will benefit the header. Then I was thinking of going 2.25or2.50 piping and cobalt ss muffler. I am open to suggestions to another quiet exhaust and not a bigass tailpipe. So what quiet exausts are out there.

Re: What is the quietest exhaust available?
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:51 AM
the LSJ (cobalt SS Supercharged) muffler is dyno proven to flow just as well as any aftermarket muffler without the noise..

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:06 AM
That is why I have a an LNF (cobalt SS Turbo) muffler to be put on soon.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:02 AM
Walker's Quietflow.
Factory quiet muffler on the inside (zero drone), and pure engine note out back.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:19 AM
Either the Cobalt muffler, or Dynomax super turbo (I think it's h same company that makes walker IIRC) with a nice, big resonator. Sounds great and just louder than stock.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 11:43 AM
All of the above should work nicely. I have the SS muffler on my DD and have run the walker quiet flow before as well. I have heard many clips of the Dynomax as well, it growls a little when you get on it, but not annoyingly and not so that a cop will pull you over.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:59 PM
Borlas xs are quieter than all afternarkets yet still produfe more than others also
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:16 PM
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:59 PM
98grandamld9 wrote:Borlas xs are quieter than all afternarkets yet still produfe more than others also
Not as quiet as the LSJ muffler, and produces the same HP on the dyno...

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:06 AM
i remember seeing it somewhere but where's the proof that the LSJ does flow as well etc?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:18 PM
My tuner bolted up several mufflers including the LSJ to his Supercharged HHR and ran it on the dyno... All the numbers were about even (within a couple hp), and the LSJ was exactly equal to the magnaflow..

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:49 PM
I run a super Turbo muffler with a 30" resonator. Also has a cat with 2.5" piping. It is pretty quiet but louder than stock.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:58 PM
how well will the dynommax super turbo work on a S/C car,Just wondering if it will blow out,or if it will work well,Just want something different than the Magnaflow...Thxs
Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:05 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i remember seeing it somewhere but where's the proof that the LSJ does flow as well etc?

It flows well enough that I had to install a heated o2 sensor because it was throwing a code.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:10 PM
Jason Burten wrote:how well will the dynommax super turbo work on a S/C car,Just wondering if it will blow out,or if it will work well,Just want something different than the Magnaflow...Thxs
Factory Cobalt SS Supercharged Muffler is exactly what you are looking for.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:43 PM
So I should try and find a factory Ss muffler. Or just get one from the dealer.

Thxs
Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:40 PM
Find one... most people sell em on cobaltss.net for like $50 or so...

You could also find a wrecked SS in a yard and snag the muffler.

Will adding a cobalt ss muffler free up any power after header.
Friday, May 11, 2012 1:01 AM
So I just recently bought a header for my 2001 z24 cavalier I was wondering if by adding a cobaltss muffler to the stock exhaust with header installed if that would free up any ponies or would it just add noise? Is it worth spending the extra $50.00 dollars for the muffler? Also if it would free up some ponies would it be Loud cause of the headers?
Re: Will adding a cobalt ss muffler free up any power after header.
Friday, May 11, 2012 1:17 AM
Nope, not if you still have a stock exhaust in the middle. You need to eliminate the restriction in the whole system...replace the exhaust from the header all the way back. And even with a full exhaust, without a tune and some other supporting mods, the gains are so minimal you probably won't even feel the difference.

Friday, May 11, 2012 4:22 AM
1sicss wrote:So I just recently bought a header for my 2001 z24 cavalier I was wondering if by adding a cobaltss muffler to the stock exhaust with header installed if that would free up any ponies or would it just add noise? Is it worth spending the extra $50.00 dollars for the muffler? Also if it would free up some ponies would it be Loud cause of the headers?
This really didn't need to be in a separate thread... so i merged it

Adding any muffler to a stock exhaust will net you the same hp or a loss in hp...

without supporting mods, a high flow cat, and larger piping, + tune, You really won't see much power, and even at that, exhaust systems on our cars are good for 5-15 hp, even on built motors... The biggest power adder is the header... and its been in my experience that only a long tube header such as rons header, and other variants will unlock any real hp, and again, its like 15-20 at best.

To answer your question exactly... You'll have a better flowing muffler, it will not be any louder... but without cams, p&p and full exhaust or forced induction (plus cams & P&P and full exhaust), you will not see any extra power.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, May 11, 2012 4:25 AM

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:45 AM
does the ss/tc get a better flowing muffler because its got more power stock?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:47 AM
The SS/SC cobalts have 2.5'' piping to just before the rear axle, then it necks down to 2.25'' for whatever reason (some people on cobaltss.net claim its to help with launching with the short first gear). The SS/TC is 2.5'' the entire way back, which is why the muffler is 2.5'' in and out.

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:15 PM
colt45 wrote:The SS/SC cobalts have 2.5'' piping to just before the rear axle, then it necks down to 2.25'' for whatever reason (some people on cobaltss.net claim its to help with launching with the short first gear). The SS/TC is 2.5'' the entire way back, which is why the muffler is 2.5'' in and out.
this^^^ otherwise the muffler is identical...

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:02 PM
Friday, May 11, 2012 8:10 PM
Its actually a downgrade from stock. The GMPP catback is 2.25" for its entire length, with a different muffler and resonator.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search