2.4L LD9 metal speckles in oil - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4L LD9 metal speckles in oil
Monday, August 06, 2012 11:39 AM
I got a n LD9 from a 99 Z24. It has little aluminum speckles in the oil everytime i changed it. It seemed like it had speckles like that while i drove it for a whole 9 months, but the speckles added to more and more. I'm guessing they are from a rod/main bearing? But the motor runs smooth, no knocks or ticks. Has a leaky cam cover gasket. But i pulled the motor and junked the car. Was curious since it hasn't started knocking, or ticking, if it's worth pulling the pan, and if it is a rod bearing, can it be replaced from below without tearing it all apart?(I'm low on funds) I did research on the cam cover gasket, and i figured i might as well replace both intake/exhaust gaskets. I'm buying a 99 Grand Am tomorrow with a bad knock(the guy ran it out of oil, to where it didn't even read on the dipstick). That motor has all new timing components with around 1,500 miles on them. So i could use all that on my 2.4L with the aluminum speckles IF it is fixable, since i will have the timing gears and chain off. They aren't shavings, they are speckles. And they're aluminum, because a magnet wont pick them up. My main questions...Is it worth fixing since it hasn't knocked?(not sure if it would have done crankshaft damage or not).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: 2.4L LD9 metal speckles in oil
Monday, August 06, 2012 1:04 PM
Dont think the bearings are made of aluminum.

I know the head is aluminum and that has oil passing thru it...

Idk.

Just a thought.

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Monday, August 06, 2012 7:02 PM
are you sure its aluminum and not steel?

ive always had some metal on the magnetic tip on the drain plug on all of my motors every time i drain the oil...

Monday, August 06, 2012 8:11 PM
see if a magnet will pick up the particles out of the filter.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Saturday, August 18, 2012 6:41 PM
Update?

Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:58 AM
Just dip your finger in the oil and smell it, trust me if the bearings are shot you'll be able to smell the burnt metal, that's how I knew when my engine was shot. I could smeel the burnt metal when I pulled the dipstick and once I had the engine out and pulled the oilpan you could really smell it!!!
Friday, August 31, 2012 5:53 PM
i havent seen many ld9s taht didnt have a little metal stuck to the oil plug. when one of my motors went out because of a bad bearing there was big chunks of metal that i could see in my oil catch pan. the metal that stuck to the magnent wa from the crank. i guess if you have a feeling you have aluminum in your oil then when you change your timing components maybe you should check the clearance in your cam towers. or make sure your cams arent warped.

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:29 PM
Aluminum is not magnetic correct?
So if it is aluminum then its prob from the head area.
I believe the block is iron. And your moving internals sre steel
Iron and steel are magnetic tho.

Good luck and back from the dead again.

Hahaha

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search