Heat sheild Removal? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Heat sheild Removal?
Friday, August 10, 2012 5:09 PM
Well I got my Pacesetter LSJ header installed and the stock exhaust was making the rear heat sheild rattle. It wasnt fastened to great so I removed it. Should I be concerned about the heat on the fuel tank?

I still have it so I can re install it if needed with some larger screws.

Re: Heat sheild Removal?
Friday, August 10, 2012 6:13 PM
I would be, I just had a 2 1/2 headerback installed-well re-done, and the guy who did mine insisted the heat shield stay, and the pipe/shield not make contact with the tank or each other. The only real issue he could give me was that there is a great "potential" for combustion in the tank. I don't see it getting that hot, but it could in all reality if the right conditions are there. I would say yeah throw it back on, and while your under there finish off the exhaust...i mean if it's feasable
Friday, August 10, 2012 7:12 PM
Yah only reason I haven't finished the exhaust up is im going back to school so im waiting till im back to work. Damn apprenticeships!

Im going to get under there tomorrow morn with some self tapping hex head screws and screw it back on. I think with enough screws it will be fine lol.

If it still makes noise maybe ill try some Dynamat or something on the back side.
Friday, August 10, 2012 8:07 PM
lol money is a bitch, and she rides us all

good luck under there, try to reuse the same holes, and if your able try to get some butyl in there too to keep the moisture, dust, bugs n @!#$ out. as far as preventing rattle, if you can afford it, or have some even, spray some rubberized undercoating WITH sound deadening Before you reattach the shield, this could provide the cousion that your looking for in the rattle dept...adding extra screws don't hurt either.
Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:58 PM
pitch it. i havnt had one on either of my cav's and no issues what so ever...

Saturday, August 11, 2012 6:11 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:pitch it. i havnt had one on either of my cav's and no issues what so ever...

Funny I was doing a search and found a post in 08 where you said you should keep it on there cause its there for a reason lol.

All good. I put it back on with some self tapping screws and so far no rattle. If it starts to rattle again its going in the garbage bin!
Saturday, August 11, 2012 6:48 PM
shortly after we redid my exhaust it was pulled and never put back on. you dont need it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search