flywheel bolts - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
flywheel bolts
Sunday, May 26, 2013 6:38 PM
Do I need to replace them when I change to a lighter flywheel? Or just use lock tight and torque to spec?

Re: flywheel bolts
Monday, May 27, 2013 2:16 AM
Get new bolts

Monday, May 27, 2013 7:27 AM
^^ yup. the flywheel bolts are what is called "torque to yield" which basically means only should be used once because when you torque them the first time they stretch out.

a popular upgrade is doing arp bolts. really, they are about the same price as the new GM one's. hit up the transmission forum for more details and these.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Monday, May 27, 2013 7:29 AM
Yup, wish I had gone ARP when I swapped motors this past fall, but I was in a rush gathering parts to get it running and overlooked it. Like Brad said, not much more money than oem bolts. I'll definitely be going ARP when it comes time to upgrade clutch and flywheel

Monday, May 27, 2013 9:40 AM
New bolts with thread locker.

If you go ARP be mindful that their torque specs are different than stock.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, May 27, 2013 1:25 PM
Would the new flywheel being aluminum require a different torque spec the stock?
Monday, May 27, 2013 4:01 PM
yes it would

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, May 27, 2013 10:13 PM
and what would that torque be?
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:08 PM
My flywheel instructions specifically said- follow factory torque specs. And I've never replaced flywheel bolts after three different flywheels. Technically, I should have, since yes, they are torque to yield, but the car god has granted me long life and plentiful bounty.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search