Kansas City area - control arm bushings - Mid Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Kansas City area - control arm bushings
Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:43 AM
Anyone in the Kansas City area installed the front control arm bushings? or replaced rear axle bushings? I have read most of the posts on it. How did you guys do it? Use a tool to press them out the way the repair manuals show? or put the whole arm in a hydraulic press to remove them?

Re: Kansas City area - control arm bushings
Saturday, April 02, 2005 10:22 AM
Mark, everyone that I know who has done them ended up having to have a shop press the control arm bushings in, they were able to get the stock ones out but them just couldn't get the poly ones in with out a press, and yeah they took the whole control arm to a shop..... BTW where did you get the rear bushings?

Later,
Skinny J

Tara, I will love and miss you forever, you will never be forgotten
http://tara-nagel.memory-of.com/

Saturday, April 02, 2005 10:51 AM
For the rear I am just upgrading to FE2 factory bushings over the stock FE1 that my car has. For $10 each they couldn't hurt, plus if I do them now I will know how to do them later when I can afford the poly ones.

What have you been up to?
Saturday, April 02, 2005 2:58 PM
leatherz wrote:For the rear I am just upgrading to FE2 factory bushings over the stock FE1 that my car has. For $10 each they couldn't hurt, plus if I do them now I will know how to do them later when I can afford the poly ones.

What have you been up to?

Do they even make the rears ones and if so where do you find them at?

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:47 PM
That's funny ... I just went through this when I got my rear axle/control arm powdercoated. The rear bushings are a bit(h to get out even with the right equipment. I finally ended up heating them up with a torch and driving the rubber out of the steel sleeve then driving out the sleeve with a big punch... Then I called a buddy of mine that's a GM tech about putting the new ones in for me and he said to split the steel sleeve with a hacksaw so it can be pushed it almost by hand. It was a piece of cake after that.

The fronts are easy with a bench vise. After you get the old bushings out make sure the steel sleeve is out of the arm. If it's not you'll have to split it with a hacksaw and it'll come right out. Then just grease up the new bushing and line it up with the hole and squeeze it in with a bench vise. Fronts took about 10 mins. when I did my old ones.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Saturday, April 02, 2005 6:51 PM
Well the old ones are out, new polyurethane are in. I am upgrading to a 03 and up 24mm front sway bar and forgot to get lube for the d-bushings and end links, guess what no one has it that is still open - AUTOZONE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CARRIES IT AND THEY ARE CLOSED. Advanced Auto, O'reilly, NAPA and Carquest do not have it. I guess I am done for the night.
Saturday, April 02, 2005 8:03 PM
Just as a note - for rear axle arm bushings J-bodies have the same as quite a few other GM fwd cars 85-91 Skylark, 87-96 Beretta, 82-05 Cavalier,87-96 Corsica,92-98 Achieva, 85-91 Cutlass Calais and 85-98 Grand am(w/o independent suspension.

So if someone can find anyone that might make poly bushings for one of the other cars they will work too.

Of course Mantapart shows poly rear bushings for the Grand Am for $115 I think, but who knows if you can actually get anything from them. If so, that would be less expensive and available as a separate purchase from the poly kit that RSM sells for $190
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search