license plate question - Mid Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
license plate question
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 2:04 PM
i was wondering if it is legal to have ur license plate on ur dash instead of on ur bumper, cuz i have a body kit and it looks like crap with it attached to the grill...i want to put it on the dash but i dont want to worry bout getting hassled by the po po...anyone no the actual truth of if it is legal or not?

Re: license plate question
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 4:47 PM
Well by my house Illinios i used to get harassed by the po when i was in school for not haveing my plate on my bumper (window) but since then 1 1/2 yrs ago i havent had it on the front and i havent been hassled yet. bu t i know you need to have it on the vehical in ill i jus thate the way it looks. I would suggest looking for a department of trans web page for your state.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 5:19 PM
umm I can tell you 2 tickets later that no it's not legal in IL, in fact one of my tickets I got was a sting by my college, I was radared by a helicopter with a million others and also got a ticket for having my plate in the windshield (yet got away with speeding dumb pigs) so if you got it there you might as well take it off completley

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:08 PM
In illinois its illegal, ive had mine in my window for about 3 or 4 months now and havent been bothered, but i know a state boy will get me one day. Im not completely sure about MO tho, what part do you live in. If its closer to st. louis, i drive over there all the time and have never been bothered.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 5:59 PM
i live in mo and i havent had my front plate on my bumper for over a year and never been messed with..

Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:19 AM
Black4drcavy wrote:i live in mo and i havent had my front plate on my bumper for over a year and never been messed with..

Now that you said that you will. LOL !

NightmareSS - 2005 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC STG 2
Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:17 AM
Haha ask some of the guys that came to the JBR meet 2 years ago... I'm sure that they can give you some insight on this one...

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Thursday, May 26, 2005 3:50 PM
i live in central missouri, im just going to find a cop around here and ask them....then if they say its legal im going to ask them to right it down and sign it or sumthing so if i ever do get pulled over, thanks for ur help
Friday, May 27, 2005 6:57 AM
ROBZ IL CAV wrote:Haha ask some of the guys that came to the JBR meet 2 years ago... I'm sure that they can give you some insight on this one...

Rob

Haha, I heard about that. Every1 got a ticket, took like 1.5 hours or something right??

I have my front plate in the window, but it's up at the top. Our driver-side visors have that lil strap thing on them, that and a lil duct tape on the back side of the plate keep it from moving around. Easy to flip-up for pics, and it's plenty visible when flipped down (tho I don't have a tint strip at the top of window yet...) I'd def. ask a few cops what they think (not all at once of course, divide and conquer)

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:08 AM
ROBZ IL CAV wrote:Haha ask some of the guys that came to the JBR meet 2 years ago... I'm sure that they can give you some insight on this one...

Rob

yep, a 70 dollar ticket made me zip tie my front plate back on.

Friday, May 27, 2005 10:14 AM
baaaa ... I had mine in the front window at the meet and still got a ticket lmao ... theirs no way in hell im drillin in my bc2 ... soo now i just said the hell with it all togeter and no front plate displayed anywhere

Friday, May 27, 2005 12:12 PM
ya, unfortunately guys the only way im going to be able to move my license plate from my grill to anywhere else is if i get a hi po to say its ok, cuz im still in high school and live with the parentals they wont let me do any illegal mods or nething, it sucks...if u want to see how crappy it looks with it on my grill check out my profile...im still searching for a hi po though, u can never find one wen u want em, lol
Friday, May 27, 2005 12:22 PM
One thing you can do is put it behind the mesh. I had mine like that last summer and it looked pretty decent. Over the winter the mesh got Fubar'd by the snow (hey, I was enjoying my 4x4 Cavalier, lol, now I'm dropped so I can't go crazy nemore) so I took the mesh out for the winter and put the plate in the window. Eventually I might move the plate back down to behind the mesh but I'm too lazy

Friday, May 27, 2005 12:34 PM
sweet so ur sayin i can put it behind my mesh and thats legal?, i wouldnt mind that at all
Friday, May 27, 2005 1:55 PM
I had a 'warning' for mine for one reason (when it was behind the mesh). When I put bondo in the hole where the plate holder used to be (stock bumper) I spray-bombed the bumper w/o taking the plate out first. So I had a black car, w/ black mesh, and black overspray all over the plate, lol. If I had taken the plate off before painting, I wouldn't have had the warning.

Here's the best pic I could find showing the front end and the plate. Don't mind the fogs, they're sitting in my garage now I plan on putting projector fogs in to match the projector headlights I'm putting in this summer (sitting in the pass foot well, haha)

It's dirty b/c it's an OLD pic hah.

Friday, May 27, 2005 10:37 PM
that's not legal...the plates have to be clearly visible on both front and back bumper areas...even clear license plate covers are illegal...yer taking a chance anyway you look at it

Saturday, May 28, 2005 1:08 AM
mikeylikey(theTotalEstr8one) wrote:that's not legal...the plates have to be clearly visible on both front and back bumper areas...even clear license plate covers are illegal...yer taking a chance anyway you look at it
LITSEN TO THE COP HIMSELF M&M

http://img78.exs.cx/img78/1081/mycar4nl.jpg
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:40 AM
andix (nrrcavalier4) wrote:

Rob

yep, a 70 dollar ticket made me zip tie my front plate back on.

A $25 ticket on Sunday morning made me move mine. F'n jinxed myself on here!! Now it's zip-tied to the front of the mesh (for now, I'll move it to the back side when I take the bumper off to put more glue on the mesh). The fem cop went and ticketed more people on my block, came back to my house, asked me for my ticket and tore it up I was happy about that lol. Ended up that she didn't see it in the window at first (dayum bird crap all over) wrote the ticket, then saw it as she was putting the ticket on the window, lol.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:31 PM
Matt Burn, Its illegal, I've asked cops. But there is a very small chance they will do anything about it in missouri. I've never ever had my front plate on and neither have any of my friends since I' could drive. If anything they'll tell you to put it on, and move along. Cops in MO are very leniant when it comes to mods.

doM vacbulC
Megan Racing Springs only $99.00 !!! GP Link
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:56 PM
I like the window idea but it wouldn't do me any good since i have a 5% tint strip... Hey roughed is yours a 4dr??

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 10:23 PM
Black4drcavy wrote:I like the window idea but it wouldn't do me any good since i have a 5% tint strip... Hey roughed is yours a 4dr??

Ummm duh?

ClubCav Mod
Megan Racing Springs only $99.00 !!! GP Link
Me Drifting

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 7:58 AM
Black4drcavy wrote:I like the window idea but it wouldn't do me any good since i have a 5% tint strip... Hey roughed is yours a 4dr??

Umm... I just put sedan front doors on a coupe and welded up the space behind it. j/k It's a 2K LS sedan, but the front plate is now zip-tied onto the front mesh, it's not in the window anymore b/c I got a ticket - which was torn up 10-15 mins later

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search