Someone In The Chicagoland Area That Can Do Bodywork? - Mid Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Someone In The Chicagoland Area That Can Do Bodywork?
Monday, July 26, 2010 7:36 PM
Hey guys. Im trying to find someone who is in or around the chicago area that can paint. I can get all the paint and stuff we will need, i just need help to actually paint it. I have done painting before but it didnt come out good. But this is for my Cavalier, and so I want it to look good. Plus im not good at all with body filler and things along those lines. If someone can help do it, I have no problem traveling, but this car is my DD so if its possible to get it done in a day that would be great. I know kinda crazy so dont hate me for it, but if its over a weekend thats fine too. I basically need front bumper, sideskirts, and maybe hood repainted and maybe front fenders. There already white, they just need some work. I have no problem doing this myself, but with someone who knows what there doing would be nice so it comes out nice. Let me know if someone can help, I have no problem throwing some cash at them, just dont hit me too hard, bc its either I get help in doing this, or I try it myself again and see the horrible screwup, or I save my money and take it to a shop. Thanks guys!!!!

Edit: I also dont have any issues doing all the work with someone over me to make sure im doing it right. I just really want this too look good. Thanks again!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 26, 2010 7:39 PM

Re: Someone In The Chicagoland Area That Can Do Bodywork?
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:52 AM
if u have all the equipment, id be down to help when i go to chicago in august if u still need it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3364129
Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:09 AM
Well, i got a basic gravity fed gun, and a small air compressor. So idk if thats nearly enough. So I appreciate the offer, pls the sooner the better. But if i still havent done it by then, maybe we can make work what I already have. Thanks Fexican.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:16 PM
ok, did u plan on rentin a booth? or doin in ur garage, make sure ur air compressor can keep up cfm with the gun. just letting u know expect dirt spots either way, obvisouly garage means more spots. and consider if u wanna paint off the car or on, and itd be alot better on and expect to paint over to doors a lil since ur doin fenders so it blends cuz the colors 9/10 times will not match perfectly.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:43 PM
Well, Im going to do it in my garage. I already know about spraying the whole garage down with water to keep the dust low. Im pretty sure the compressor can keep up with the air gun (I painted my other car, but I think since I did it as a rush job it didnt come out nice at all, and really only did 1 coat of everything so its dull) But with this Im going to paint my hood, front bumper, fenders and side skirts, and im thinking 2 cans of color should be enough. Im also thinking 1 can of primer, and 2 cans of clear should be good. I also have wet/dry 2000 grit paper to sand it out when im done, and I have 3m Rubbing compound for after the wetsanding. Im not really comfortable shooting my doors since if i mess up the front no biggie, I just dont want to mess up my doors too. Pls since the car is white, and the rest of the paint is in good shape, Im not worried about it matching 100%. Also, your saying do it on the car, I always thought it was better to paint if off the car. Please do elaborate on that. Because if I can save 2 hours pulling everything off then I will. Thanks man for your help!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:01 PM
well yes and no cuz no tapein if off car, but less match. on car more tapeing but u can go out more than u need to paint to make it match up better.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:50 AM
Ok, well, ill figure out if im going to take it off or leave it on, the tapeing does not bother me. I also wanna know this. I tried wetsanding, with 2000 grit and I kept the paper really wet. Now I when I sanded the front bumper with the 2000 grit and I used 3M Rubbing Compound. Now after I applied the rubbing compound it still had that foggy look. I havent seen it in the day light, bc i was just practicing on the bumper before I do the actual paint. But is there something im doing wrong?? Am I using good rubbing compound?? What can I buy thats not gonna cost a arm and a leg since I may actually never use it again. Thanks man!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search