Anyone In the Chicago or IN or WI area know how to fix urethane Bumpers??? - Mid Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone In the Chicago or IN or WI area know how to fix urethane Bumpers???
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 4:13 PM
hey guys. Last night we obviously got that huge blizzard here in Chicago. Well, driving home i needed gas, and pulled into the only startion that was open and caught my brand new RKS Type J 03+ front bumper on the snow/slush in the drive way. I cracked the bumper in 3 places. One spot is on the very front edge of the lip itself and looks like I can just heat that back up a little bit, pop it back, and fill it in with some glue for urethane and whatnot, so thats not the problem. On the drivers side, I have a crack running from where it mounts under the light, to about 4-5 inches down, and I broke off some of the top mounting tab that goes up near the hood. Now I can probably do this myself but im not sure what to use. If anyone knows how to do this, I will gladly pay them to do it, so I dont have to worry about it breaking again. Thanks guys!! Im willing to drive and such so let me know!!. I also really dont want to spend 450+ on just a new front bumper from RKS when I have a good one here just needs some minor repairs. Thanks guys!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 02, 2011 4:13 PM

Re: Anyone In the Chicago or IN or WI area know how to fix urethane Bumpers???
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:50 PM
Damn that sucks, that is why you run your base model bumpers in the winter if you are going to DD your car. I don't really know anything about it, but I hope you get it fixed up.
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:55 PM
Lol, I obviously didnt know about this storm so there wasnt much I can do about it. Oh well, I should be able to get it fixed. Its not too bad, just cracked so its just a PITA but it will be fixed. And i dont have anything stock, other then the sunfire front, that is now sold lol so I kinda had no choise but to run that or no bumper at all, and I dont think the cops would like that too much. Lol. Oh well, Ill get it fixed. But ATM if push comes to shove im more worried about getting some engine work done before I get the body done lol

Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:45 AM
Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:20 AM
Lol, Thanks Jeff, and I saw that stuff last night, but Im not sure which one to use. Plus I was seeing if anyone here knows exactly how to do it, and would do it, and they can make some extra cash, and I can have a repaired front bumper lol

Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:36 AM
my best friend does body work for a living, post up pics of the damage and I'll see if he's interested.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:38 AM
Ok I can do that. Ill get some tmo when im at work. I would do it now, but my car is a block away since this damn snow has over 5 feet of snow in my alley and I cant get to my garage lol

Thursday, February 03, 2011 2:45 AM
cool beans. have a good one Mike

Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:55 PM
We got pretty lucky in Nebraska, you guys got crushed by the same storm system that I guess took some pitty on us.
Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:25 PM
Yeah it was pretty harsh out here. Since I work for the City, we have been 100% snow program so means all of our 400+ snow plows/salt spreaders are active and on the road clearing snow. So they have had us working long ass hours since monday lol. Which is fine since my check will be nice

Friday, February 04, 2011 4:39 PM
Reposted from an off topic thread

Chicago wrote:"LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS REPORT THAT NEARLY EVERY ROADWAY IS IMPASSABLE AND IN MANY CASES CLOSED. A STATE OF EMERGENCY HAS BEEN DECLARED AND LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS ARE PLEADING FOR PEOPLE TO STAY HOME AND OFF ROADWAYS. THERE HAVE BEEN NUMEROUS REPORTS OF CARS OFF ROADWAYS AND PEOPLE STRANDED AND THE EXTREME CONDITIONS ARE MAKING IT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT FOR RESCUE PERSONAL TO REACH THE STRANDED. VISIBILITIES ARE SO POOR IN OPEN AREAS THAT MOTORISTS COULD BECOME DISORIENTED AND UNABLE TO EVEN SEE BEYOND THE HOOD OF THEIR CARS. BEFORE CONSIDERING GETTING ON THE ROADS THIS MORNING...ASK YOURSELF IF GETTING TO YOUR DESTINATION IS WORTH RISKING YOUR LIFE."

The Second floor has windows up there...

This is the inside view from those windows....

Friday, February 04, 2011 4:48 PM
Yeah, It was really bad. I got home. Sad part was that was not even from driving on the road, it was from pulling into a gas station to get gas hahaha. Oh well. Since I work for the City there was no way for us to call in. So I left work at 330am kinda in the middle of the storm, and made it home, and unfortunatly cracked my bumper in the process lol. But it is fixable so im not worried. I really didnt want to sleep on a cot at my job since I work at a diesel shop, and since I live 15min away from my job, I went for it. Lol. And DS, if you honestly think thats bad, I wish I took pics of it at my house. We were in the heart of it, and the snow drift alone was over 5 feet infront of my garage. The alley, you could forget about gettting into that. Last night was the first time I got to use it since the storm. My parents car was stuck in there for the last couple days. But all in all, to make it home in that storm and only crack a bumper and not anything more serious I think was ok. I mean I was mad about it, but what can I do.

Friday, February 04, 2011 7:15 PM
my back yard has a 6 foot fence and the snow is over it lol

Friday, February 04, 2011 7:25 PM
Lol, yeah I do believe it. There are some piles over by my job on the 15-20 ft mark also. Its just funny that much snow came down in such a short time frame lol. Oh well, I guess since i lived here I gotta love Chicago winters

Friday, February 04, 2011 7:40 PM
The funny thing is I was out in Colorado skiing a couple weeks ago, we were staying Breckenridge. It started snowing our last day of skiing around 1 in the afternoon and by the time we woke up the next morning it was bright and sunny and there was 26" of snow on the ground. We left at noon to go the airport and come home, the roads were clear, traffic was moving, it was like nothing happened.

Friday, February 04, 2011 7:46 PM
hopefully this works....

this was taken at the Breckenridge resort the day we left

a stair case

Friday, February 04, 2011 8:00 PM
Wow. Yeah thats insane. Im not sure why Chicago fell on its face. Maybe there is just soo much space to clear, and not enough equipment to do it. We had all 400+ trucks out, and even had some garbage trucks out with plows and they were just not keeping up with it. And trust me, they were in full force. Hell, even the Indian gas stations and Liquor stores where I work (west side of Chicago) were closed, and we all know those mofo's never loose money lol

Saturday, February 05, 2011 6:33 PM
i know how u feel i ripped my rear lipin half broke the wires for the o2 i work in a body shop most of the time we melt them back together the bondo and paint for worst cracks 3m glue works awsome
Saturday, February 05, 2011 6:37 PM
Where you work at?? I ask because since im gonna need this fixed, you know how ill pay. Plus I need the car painted so I would rather pay someone from here to put a little money in someones pocket from here then a random bodyshop

Saturday, February 05, 2011 7:00 PM
evergreenautorebilders
Saturday, February 05, 2011 7:23 PM
On S. Kedzie right???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, February 05, 2011 7:24 PM

Saturday, February 05, 2011 7:48 PM
yep
Saturday, February 05, 2011 7:57 PM
Ill have to drop in one day over a saturday and get a quote from you guys. Maybe a hook up

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search