if anyone in my area needs car audio - Page 2 - Mid Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: if anyone in my area needs car audio
Friday, February 11, 2011 7:59 PM
well ....mtx amps, kenwood decks, usually stinger or rockford fosgate wiring.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:55 PM
but is one specific part in all of these installs? have you had the same head unit in each install with the noise? same amp? something that is a constant? otherwise i would check the cars grounds themselves. also, are you grounding your head units to the dash frame, or just hooking the ground up to the black ground wire in the factory harness? try grounding to the frame. and check ALL the vehicle grounds. especially check that all connections/connectors are rock solid. something coming loose or being grounded poorly from the factory can do this too. noise in an audio system CAN be a tricky thing and come from somewhere you don't expect at all, that might not "directly" relate to your audio system.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Friday, February 11, 2011 10:30 PM
My money is on poorly insulated interconnects.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:29 AM
but every time i suggest to brad that it's bad wiring or equipment he retaliates with "I buy quality stuff" as if I'm calling him cheap for ever thinking it could be the equipment........ So I'm done doing that,

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:21 AM
I know brad is dedicated to his work and spends good money on his mods.

I had a set of $120 stinger interconnects (Double shielded, twisted, high end gold plate connectors) and they still made noise. Corey ran high dollar connects in his cavalier and still had noise.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:51 PM
right, ive had the good rca's through every car (ive got a few sets, dustin). and different items throughout cars. ive got a jvc deck, two kenwoods, and a pioneer. they all have had problems. seems like my more spendy kenwood one has a bunch less though. sometimes putting a different amp in does the trick as well... i dont get it LOL

see what we did in a buddy of mine's grand am once was just run a tiny jumper ground wire from a screw on the back of the deck and shoved it in with the rca hook up and it killed the noise instantly. ive never been able to duplicate that, ever since that car. oddly enough steve, like you said... it was a cheaper pioneer unit.

as for grounds, well some of my cars still have stock ground, most dont tho. ive upgraded all the wiring in my beretta tho...

Sunday, February 13, 2011 10:01 PM
Are your grounds thicker than your power wire?

I'm installing the rest of my stuff this week. I can send you the left overs if you want brad. I've got 2 runs of Monster P400 1/0 wire from the alternator to the starter, then to the fuse box and back to the Stinger SPV70 in the trunk.

I've got like 25 feet left of 8 gauge Monster P300 left over and not sure how much 1/0 left over but I will let you know at the end of the week. I would also consider making a good ground, don't rely on the stock grounds. I put a grade 8 bolt through the trunk floor and then undercoated the bottom of the car for my new ground and it works amazing.

If I can get mine setup with a CarPC with zero noise... we can certainly get it fixed.

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:34 AM
LOL man i meant my decks had the stock grounds... but this car in question has upgraded wiring for the deck. nothing to special but its better than stock i know that!

i better just give a run down of the car i guess.... exactly what it is.

components arent the best, i get that but they are decent, well... were ten years ago anyways lol i havent really bought much since my whole audio schpeel back in the day. i still have pretty much everything and dont see a need to upgrade til it dies.

kenwood x890 mp3/cd player with i believe a dedicated 14 awg power run and 14 awg ground run hooked into the dash frame.
4 awg alternator body to passenger side strut tower bolt ground, 4 awg alternator terminal to battery power (fused), 4 awg battery ground to body bolt near driver side strut tower ground.
mtx twisted rca's (three sets). these were cheap, maybe like $30 a pair so maybe its them?
two runs of 4 awg rockford fosgate power cables. (i know i shoulda ran just one wire but i had them lying around so why buy more?)
optima yellow top secondary battery in trunk, two runs of 4 awg to amps, all connections are gold iirc... (i dont have a switch between the front and rear batteries, idk if that matters but its something that has always bothered me)
mtx 6304 4 channel amp for highs, 4 awg ground to rear bolt holding back seat down (goes through the body. i scraped the paint)
mtx 4501d class amp for subs, 4 awg ground to the other rear bolt holding back seat down.

i think thats pretty much it... any questions go ahead and ask, i should be able to answer them.

ps, i dont have any caps... would i run caps? yes.... i just had the extra battery lying around so decided to use it instead of spending the money on caps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 14, 2011 5:34 AM

Monday, February 14, 2011 8:22 AM
Caps aren't going to do @!#$ for you dude. Lol..... First thing to try is simple. Unhook one set of rcas at a time and see if the noise goes away. If you unhook one set and the noise is gone, try connecting a different set to that input on the amp, if the noise is still gone, you know what wires are bad. If its still there, its the deck or amp inputs. If unhooking them doesn't change it at all, my money is on a grounding issue somewhere.

Monday, February 14, 2011 10:35 AM
so caps arent good???

Monday, February 14, 2011 11:25 AM
Ill get u links to about 5 differnt places expaining what a cap actually does when I get home. You don't need one.

Monday, February 14, 2011 12:55 PM
Brad they help... but it's a Band-aid for a bullet wound. In your case you already have the battery in the trunk so your past the newb stage... you've done it all right except some small wiring issues, but that shouldn't cause too much noise.

Monday, February 14, 2011 8:02 PM
well lol dont hold back! what wiring issues?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:15 AM
I would start with what Dustin said. leave the car running and pull the rca's out one at a time and see if the noise goes away.

I've never been a fan of running more than one ground point as well. I put a bolt through the floor in the trunk and run a 1/0 wire from it to a distribution block and then all the grounds run to it.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:13 PM
oh... so ur supposed to use the same ground pt?

hmmmm....

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:30 PM
Your less likely to get interference if you have it all on one point. Grounding in the dash to the radio is one thing, but the amps, i would see if you can get on the one bolt instead of two.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:31 PM
interesting.... now that i can do.

Friday, February 18, 2011 9:42 PM
I so lucked out! The amplifier I am using is an old 5.1 Alpine SQ driven beast. The concern was that the amp uses an alpine amplifier connect and requires a compatible head unit to use it... no problem, the head unit is in the trunk $110, no big deal... But the Amplifier Link cable was near impossible to find.. Called all over Omaha, they don't carry them anymore. Looked online and they are all overseas. All the suppliers listed on Alpine's website state the item is no longer available/made. Look on eBay and accidentally miss-key the number and bam... 2 of them pop up for $4.99 each (Nobody will bid on these as they listed them wrong . ) I have the bids set to $100 each (bid on both) just to make sure i win them.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:56 PM
im gonna bid them up.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:14 PM
you did a horrible job of it I won both cables for $18 shipped.

Getting close to putting the car back together... just have to fiberglass a pod for my center channel.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:30 PM
Well my luck strikes again. I got everything i needed to hook up my 5.1 surround sound setup in the car...

The wifi antenna cable cable loose on the board and grounded itself on the board, so my $180 motherboard is now a nice display piece. Got another one in the mail, but man does it suck.

Scored an Alpine MRD-M501 so I have matching digital amps. Should sound clean. I'm buying a new JL Audio 10w6v2 - D4 tomorrow so finish it all off.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search