Tachometer - North Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tachometer
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:29 PM
I have a 99 Cavi as most know, and its a manual...it doesnt come with a stock tach does anyone know if you can buy one from GM that comes with one installed and install it and make it work? I would really like to know thanks

-99' Cavalier - Lambo Orange Pearl

Re: Tachometer
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:38 PM
my bro got one from a auto from e-bay and it worked fine, but it was an '96. and u can no longer buy calusters thru gm. i work at a chevy dealership and we get them thru AJR internaitol. we mainly only do exchanges. but i maybe wrong. oh and

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:42 PM
so how do u switch them up? is there a wire behind the dash or do u have to buy a kit for the tach?

-99' Cavalier - Lambo Orange Pearl
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:43 PM
u may have a problem with the thef system. if it won't start wait for the thef light to stop flashing then try again. your comptuer have to learn the new cluster.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:31 PM
i thought if you have a digital cluster (the miles meter?? is digital) then you can just get a cluster with the same year and tach and plug it in and it should work

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:10 PM
Volumeking333 wrote:i thought if you have a digital cluster (the miles meter?? is digital) then you can just get a cluster with the same year and tach and plug it in and it should work

Only in 2000 and up. In 98 and 99 with the digital odometer, the mileage is stored in the cluster, and the only way to have the new one show the correct mileage is to send it out and get it reprogrammed.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:56 AM
I have the same problem....I bought an aftermarket tach from autometer....haven't hooked it up yet, but will be soon!!! here's the pic of the one I got (if it works, lol)

~Heather

"I'm the girl your mother warned you about" te he he
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:13 PM
if you guys are trying to install aftermarket tachs in cars w/ out factory tachs, i believe you need to buy a tach adapter to be able to hook it up. otherwise, the tach wire is the purple/white wire in the PCM (passenger side kick panel)

2002 Toyota Celica GT
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 1:10 PM
Shifted (KickAzz) wrote:

Only in 2000 and up. In 98 and 99 with the digital odometer, the mileage is stored in the cluster, and the only way to have the new one show the correct mileage is to send it out and get it reprogrammed.

well i was half right

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:14 PM
it should just plug right in

Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:27 AM
yea forget it ill just have to buy a tach that sits on my dash.

-LamboCav-

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search