Anybody in WI got a turbo, need input quick on purchase - North Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anybody in WI got a turbo, need input quick on purchase
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 9:51 AM
I have a guy who contacted me on craiglist as I have my wheels for sale on there who wants to trade for a turbo kit he bought for his Neon. Never installed and its a T4, I've been doing as much reading in the boost section as I can this morning and from my understanding the only thing I will need to get is a different manifold to start. I'm very new to how turbos work whats involved with making them work right. Basically I was asking 350 for my wheels, he says he paid 1100 for the turbo kit. The business sense in me tells me to do the trade and I'm ahead in the deal, its the car guy wondering if I should try to make it work on my 2.4 Cav? Do the trade or no, u guys tell me...LOL

Re: Anybody in WI got a turbo, need input quick on purchase
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 9:53 AM
Just got another email said the kit is missing an intercooler and downpipe. But made it clear it is new and never installed, he lost them when he moved.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 10:02 AM
i got a feeling it's a @!#$ty ebay turbo kit with a chinese knock-off turbo that will fry in 1,000 miles. i would take the trade unless he can prove it's genuine, and you can determine that it's new.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 11:11 AM
He says its a garrett T4

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 4:27 PM
that is extremely broad. if that's all he's telling you, he probably has no idea what he's talking about.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 7:48 PM
If its a straight T4, without you having a very well built engine able to rev high, you will hate that turbo..

also find out the specs on the turbo, t4 just means the shape of the exhaust inlet flange. Generally T4's are fairly large frame turbo's and would be very difficult to make good usuable power on any jbody, without a heavily built engine.

I'd pass on the set up..

turbo is to big,
turbo manifold will not work for you
no intercooler
no downpipe (even though it wouldn't work anyways)
so basicly you'd get a BOV
and some piping that wouldn't fit your car without a lot of modifications
injectors (if it comes with them) may or may not work, but doesn't matter because the rest wont work either

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 9:25 PM
thanks for the input guys, I"ll pass on it then. I know the engine I have is modded and talked to the previous owner tonight at work and he said bottom end is stock and the guy who built the engine advised him not to turbo this motor.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:14 PM
before I bail on this deal I was forwarded the full specs of this turbo kit. If I can at least make some of it work and you guys thing its worth trading I'd like to try it. If u guys say no i'll pass for sure. I do only want to run small boost, probably nothing over 10psi tops as my old lady will be driving this car as well and lets just say she's not the brightest crayon in the box.

Turbo Manifold Kit Comes with:

T3/T4 T04E Stage 3 Turbocharger with Air Filter!!

Turbine Turbocharger

Oil cooled only

6 Blade Propeller

Compressor Specs :
3" Compressor Inlet
3.000" or 76.20mm Major
1.988" or 50.50mm Minor
Compressor .50 A.R.
Compressor 57 Trim
M24 / T4 Compressor Housing

Turbine Specs :
T3 Type Turbine
11 Blade Type
2.25" Exducer
Turbine .64 A.R.
Turbine 76 Trim
2.560 " or 65.04mm Major
2.204 " or 56.00mm Minor
Exhaust Outlet Flange with 5 bolt design

38mm VR-Style External Turbo Wastegate
Skillful engineering and the finest materials available
Featuring the common two bolt flange design used by many turbo kit manufacturers
The wastegates body and valve are investment cast from 253MA Stainless Steel (ASTM S30815)
Key design features to a superior wastegate are temperature and flow capability.
Wastegate has successfully addressed these issues by optimising valve lift and the flow path through the body
With Turbo Boost Controller you will able to Adjust Spring rate from 1-30 Psi) W/o Change Springs

Turbo Feed Oil Line Kit
Made Out of High Quality Aluminum
Oil Feed Line for turbo
Improves Engine Oil Cooling for all Engine types
All Hardware is included

Oil Drain/Return Line
Made Out of High Quality Aluminum
Oil Return Line made for turbo
Helps circulate oil from the turbo to the oil pan
All components are included for fitment

Pic of turbo, says its the only one he could find but it is the exact one

Thursday, April 02, 2009 10:58 PM
Its an ebay kit, not a real garret.... run away !!!

not only that, dude doesn't know what he's talking about, first he said its a t4, but he gave you specs on a t3/t4 ??

Friday, April 03, 2009 5:29 AM
hahahahahaha!!!!! i was right before i knew anything about it!

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Friday, April 03, 2009 5:45 AM
Sent an email this AM and now he's getting desperate, lol, he really wants it gone. Thanks for the input guys, i'll be heading to Wausau to pick up a Zex kit early Saturday morning then instead.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search