97 2.2 l4 ohv cavalier. i need some performance ideas - North Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 2.2 l4 ohv cavalier. i need some performance ideas
Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:03 AM
all i have right now is an intake plugs, wires and a can. what else is out there?

Re: 97 2.2 l4 ohv cavalier. i need some performance ideas
Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:07 AM
also if you have any thing forsale such as 17's or stuff for 95-99 cavaliers let me know im always lookin for stuff.
Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:48 AM
best performance upgrade. buy a new car

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:04 PM
pretty sure i asked about performance and stuff forsale... not what my next vehicle should be. im sure someone on here might like ur idea tho or need it but not me
Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:38 PM
Full exhaust, solid engine and transmission mounts, idk if you have auto or manual tranny, but maybe a B&M shiftplus? I've heard good and bad about them. Roller rocker arms, new cam, new clutch kit, p&p head, turbo kit, internals, stiffer suspension, racing weight wheels....all of that kind of stuff.

Idk if you're interested again, but I have a turbo setup for sale that came off of a 97...its pushing 7 psi, so it would definitely pep up a little 2.2 a hell of a lot. I'm looking for $550 for that setup, so if you're interested, just check it out under this region's forums and hit me up. Otherwise just go for the first few parts that I mentioned.

Hope is not a plan. Change is not a destination.
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:49 AM
its a manual. my problem is i dont know how to find any of the internals... i dont know any of the specs for the motor to do a head swap... do you know the resourses for that stuff. and does the turbo setup come with the manifold and all?
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:59 AM
A head swap will not work.

2200 pistons will raise compression though.

2.2 is not for performance unless you got lots of money, and if that was the case, I doubt you would have picked a cavalier of all cars haha

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:44 AM
ok atleast ur honest. would the 2200 pistons make too much compression and blow the motor or anything?
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:36 PM
Probably not.

I think Bob runs them in his circle track car, And as far as I know his engine is mostly stock internally. So I would assume they will not blow it up.

There will be more stress, but It seems to work fine in his.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:13 PM
mike whaley wrote:its a manual. my problem is i dont know how to find any of the internals... i dont know any of the specs for the motor to do a head swap... do you know the resourses for that stuff. and does the turbo setup come with the manifold and all?

Turbo setup comes with everything you will need to run a turbo...you would just need to get a tune.

But to MIKE, I've heard that putting a 95-97 head on a 98-02 cavy gives it like 10:1 compression or something...is that true? I figured you would know about this a lot better than I would, I was talking to a guy last night who said Bob Gupthill (however you spell his last name) mentioned that head swap will raise the compression on a 98-02.....and since you knew about 98-02 pistons upping compression on a 95-97 I figured you might know...lol

Let me know though man, I'm REALLY hoping to get some cheap power out of my cav

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:23 PM
I believe he was probably talking about the pistons. As far as I know, The coolant passages are different among other things.

The pistons themselves do bump it to about the 10:1-11:1 area.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:51 PM
Yeah I just talked to Bob a little bit ago and he said that the pre-97 heads swap right over with the 98-02 heads and bump compressions to 11.1:1 - 12:1...I found my next project!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:04 PM
so the head swap is possible?
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:23 PM
He said he's done it on at least a dozen individual engines...I'll forward you the email he sent me

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:11 PM
Never tried the heads myself, But I have read many times on here that it won't work.

I would like to see this to be for sure....Sounds like I might be doing this also if it works....

Thursday, April 01, 2010 4:54 PM
Mike wrote:Never tried the heads myself, But I have read many times on here that it won't work.

I would like to see this to be for sure....Sounds like I might be doing this also if it works....

I will send you all of the emails that Bob has sent me Mike...I got confused with which Mike was which yesterday. I have a series of 3 or 4 messages that I've had with Bob

Monday, April 05, 2010 1:24 AM
Derek Trout wrote:
mike whaley wrote:its a manual. my problem is i dont know how to find any of the internals... i dont know any of the specs for the motor to do a head swap... do you know the resourses for that stuff. and does the turbo setup come with the manifold and all?

Turbo setup comes with everything you will need to run a turbo...you would just need to get a tune.

But to MIKE, I've heard that putting a 95-97 head on a 98-02 cavy gives it like 10:1 compression or something...is that true? I figured you would know about this a lot better than I would, I was talking to a guy last night who said Bob Gupthill (however you spell his last name) mentioned that head swap will raise the compression on a 98-02.....and since you knew about 98-02 pistons upping compression on a 95-97 I figured you might know...lol

Let me know though man, I'm REALLY hoping to get some cheap power out of my cav

so it for the 2.2 non eco? whats your email?
Monday, April 05, 2010 5:40 PM
Just send me a PM, or email me at derek_the_trout@yahoo.com

And yeah its for a non-eco, I bought it for my 99 cavalier, then never used it lol $800 wasted there...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search