Body Shop - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Body Shop
Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:23 PM
I know that where was a thread recently started however I didn't feel right interveining in his thread for his car so...

So I am looking at getting the car painted for this season finally (I usually end up doing engine work every year and forget paint) lol Anyways I am looking around for a good shop. Although I deal with quite a few at work none of them seem to be competent in actual rust/body repair.

I am very familiar with the entire refinishing process although I dont' have much experience time doing it and although I do pretty much everything myself this is something that I don't want to tackle on my own.

Here is what I have and what I will do.

I will the strip out the interior of the car and the exterior trim, lights, etc. As well as bumpers and the like if necessary.

I have a set of new rocker panels, two rust free fenders, I have located 4 doors in great shape. As well as I have a trunk lid with a rust free lip. Other areas of the car which require patching I will locate metal or sheet metal cut panels that can be used o repair them.

The areas of the car that need to be repaired. The rocker panels need to be replaced, the drain hole patch (rust creator) in the rear right floor section of the has rotted through and I would like it replaced with a steel panel.

The rear quarter panel wheel openings need to be repaired as the edge is rusted around as well as a few bubbles in the rear quarter panel between the sheet metal and the top of the rear bumper. Also the bottom lip where the fender bolts to the body needs to be ground and repaired with new metal. Car is dent free, there are other minor areas that need repair but otherwise it is in decent shape. I am looking at getting the car a nice painted dark blue , so it'll be pretty much the same dark colour, I can provide all of the paint and chemicals needed, etc. Does not have to necessarily be in the GTA area as I am willing to travel to a certain extent. I know a lot of people will say joe blow's place did a great job on so and so's car but it is different when your friend is best friend with their friend and so on. Any help is appreciated

Re: Body Shop
Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:49 AM
uh oh better get maaco
Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:00 AM
Theres one in the Mount Albert Area called Kennedy Rd Paint and metal, on the intersection of Mount Albert Road and Kennedy Road. Just outside of newmarket. They do rust work, and do some wicked welding/lead work. But its not extremely cheap. But Id show your car to the guy and get a quote. He does really good work.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 10:23 AM
rob wrote:uh oh better get maaco

Go @!#$ yourself

Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:00 PM
i got my car painted at maaco .... looked good but its 4 years old now and showing its age but really i have no complaints about it
Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:37 PM
rob, what did maaco charge for the paint job.......

Sunday, March 06, 2005 10:38 PM
Ok guys i'm not getting my car done at Maaco so don't jack my thread with stupid @!#$.

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:02 AM
oh i dunno ... this was years ago I bought the car off my dad and hes actually the one who had it painted ... it was an insurance claim so Im not really sure
Monday, March 07, 2005 2:05 AM
ok Luis why is gettin ur car painted at maaco a stupid idea .. nothin personal but its a 1988 4 door Cavalier .. dont ya think it'd be silly to dump huge money on a paint job ? Just my opinion but a thousand dollar car deserves no more then a thousand dollar paint job if u ask me ..
Monday, March 07, 2005 2:51 AM
u having a bad day luis? we just thought we'd give this thread some action, besides, this forum is for people to discuss things openly, thats why you didn't pay for this thread

Monday, March 07, 2005 6:34 AM
LOL Yeah Rob my car is old and slow right. Newbs, i've been around for many years here.

Monday, March 07, 2005 7:00 AM
@!#$en knobs this is why i dont visit the damn "ORG" you guys think your gods gift to j-bodies go hack someone else post you @!#$. have fun when you sunfires and cavys are 12 yrs old sitting at a wreckers, dumb @!#$

luis dont bother posting here these guys are useless

Monday, March 07, 2005 8:24 AM
Man there are some stupid newbies around here ....

Luis, I'm going for paint next month for a body kit. I'll ask about your project and see what quality work they'll do for ya.
Monday, March 07, 2005 8:42 AM
get a life, don't post if you don't want suggestions. if you're going to $hit on someone because he suggested maaco then state in your threat you're not going to deal with maaco. by the way Clifford, just because someone is new to a site doesn't make us all stupid, but congrats on your stupid generic insult

Monday, March 07, 2005 8:47 AM
Luis,
i had some work done at local gm dealership when someone backed into my sunfire, and honestly, i'd have been better off going with maaco or a friends friends second cousin who slept with this chick who knew a guy that once took a crap.
talk to people where ever your from, best proof and advertising is word of mouth. i paid 800 for what little work was done, and could have had maaco do it for 500, but thought that more money meant better job........it didn't

Monday, March 07, 2005 9:28 AM
You all need to relax

Brandon, Cliff said SOME newbies not all, so it does not make it a generalized statement.

As for Rob, this car needs a paint job after all the work put into it, even if it was a stock paintjob, as you said the car is over 12 years old, of course it is going to need some paint. And Luis and the car deserve it.

Luis, there is a guy down here in Port Colborne that does a great job on body work and such, I will see if he can give you a price, if you remember Chas, he had his car done at this shop, maybe Uchi can give you more info as well.
Monday, March 07, 2005 10:55 AM
lol children make me laugh

macco sucks plain and simple so why even bother wasting money on their work...it will have to be redone within a year, but if you want cheap paint that cracks and peels and you want all your weatherstriping painted the same colour along with some glass than by all means take it to macco...lol

im probably gonna get my car done by my work, its a gm dealer but i also may get my landlords brother to do it, he has a paint booth in his garage at home, and he works for number 7 toyota in the body shop so i know he has a clue what hes doing...if mine turns out good then i'll get you the info for him

Phil Thacker
JCO North President

Monday, March 07, 2005 11:13 AM
CarStar does decent work.

Luis,

Head over to TSR. They'll have more info regarding decent paint shops in the GTA.

Toronto Street Racing | J-Body club of Ontario | J-Body Tech Library
Equality is a Prescription, Not a Description. Learn the Difference, Newbs.
Monday, March 07, 2005 11:27 AM
if you do find a decent spot in t-dot to paint, let me know! i'd be willing to take the short drive

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:59 PM
MAACO RULES .. well no not really .. I know Maaco isnt a top quality place but I got my car done and my weatherstripping wasnt painted over and it hasnt cracked or peeled in over 4 years .. all Maaco's are independently run and I got mine done back home in Sudbury ... and im sorry for being honest but I dont think a J-Body deserves anything better then that .. u guys may have pride in your cars and thats great for u but Im pretty much ashamed of my car and will be stepping up very soon ... again sorry for being honest but this is what forums like this are all about ..
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:05 PM
rob, did you get a paint color change or lipstick job? can u tell me roughly the $$ involved

Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:27 PM
the full paintjob was worth somewhere around 1 thousand .. of course i didnt pay that cuz it was an insurance claim ... cheapest estimate crap .. u know how it is ... i wasnt too keen on taking it to Maaco neither but it turned out quite well and they stood behind it 100% when the paint started flaking off the front bumper ... they repainted it with no questions asked and its been fine since (something about the way it was prepped/primed, I dont remember) ... considerign the work was done almost 4 years ago the car looks very very good .. Im sorry if u guys have better expectations for your J-Body but Im sure my thousand dollar paint job will shine just as much as your 3 thousand dollar job .. so thats my opinion ..
Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:54 PM
if you think your j-body is a POS, sell it! We take pride in our cars and will pay a few extra bucks for a paint job. I know next year when mine is done and i am looking for somewhere to paint it, I wont be going to Maaco or some cheap ass place. I will look around for the best place because i have put soooo much time and money into it. I dont want it looking like crap after all that.

Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:08 PM
^^^ hellz yeah

Sunday, March 13, 2005 6:50 PM
Luis, I know i'm getting my car done by a tow truck driver
I'm getting full Vader kit, spoiler, FX designs fenders underglow and some other body stuff done all by him, and possibly ghost flames, i'm not sure about the paint tho. But it really does come down to word of mouth, the guys at Total Performance are recomending him to me, and they say he does really good work. I'm not going crazey or anything, but i want some nice good work.
I agree, just talk around your area and see where other people got other cars done and go from there. Good luck.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search