GTA ... rim widening - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GTA ... rim widening
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 2:44 AM
Anyone know of a good place in or around Toronto to get wheels widened? Thanks in advance.

Dan

'94 Sunbird with nothing on it except kilometres.
'03 Cavalier with even less on it then the Sunbird

Re: GTA ... rim widening
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:35 AM
I've never heard of such a thing being done. Are you talking about changing the wheel on a multi-piece wheel and keeping the same rim or something?

You'll probably have to just buy new wheels. Can you give some details on why you need this done?

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:31 AM
maybe he wants to have the rims that I see on trackers. You know when they hang 5" out passed the fender.

j/k. just joking around.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:42 PM
Actually ... this is something of a favour for a sibling.

He is rebuilding an old Volkswagen Beetle and wants to widen the old stock rims to maintain the stock appearance but with a much wider tire. The stock rims are 14x4, he was hoping to widen them to about 14x7.

From what he has researched so far, apparently the center of the rim can be cut out and then welded into the center of a wider rim. While doing this you can get whatever offset you want. I haven't heard of it, but said I would ask around.

Dan

'94 Sunbird - prokit and audio upgrades.
'03 Cavalier bone stock.
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 6:34 PM
That sounds like a Butt load worth of work... probubly cost more then just looking around for something that looks similar..

and unless this technique is tested and used a lot.... i dono how safe it is to do.. it may make the car and its specs all wanky? not to mention, hard to balance, i would imagine....

***Thanks again to stargrrrl***
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:09 PM
i know with old muscle cars people used to widen the factory ralley rims all the time

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:02 AM
Might have to look in the direction of drag wheels such as Centerline, Weld, etc,

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 2:21 PM
mikeyb wrote:That sounds like a Butt load worth of work... probubly cost more then just looking around for something that looks similar..

and unless this technique is tested and used a lot.... i dono how safe it is to do.. it may make the car and its specs all wanky? not to mention, hard to balance, i would imagine....

Cost factors often go out the window though when you're restoring an old car and want exactly the right look.

Not sure we're going to be of much use here, but definitely post up the progress. I'm really curious to see how this goes.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:32 AM
I live in Whitby and about three years ago a friend of mine had his Mustang Rims widened. Let me say this he search for three months, payed a @!#$ load of money (I can't remember how much), and in the end he still ended up buying new wheels. I will try and get the name of the shop, it was the only one around then. It was somewhere about 45 mins east of me
Thursday, March 17, 2005 11:10 AM
Fast 4Door wrote:I live in Whitby and about three years ago a friend of mine had his Mustang Rims widened. Let me say this he search for three months, payed a @!#$ load of money (I can't remember how much), and in the end he still ended up buying new wheels. I will try and get the name of the shop, it was the only one around then. It was somewhere about 45 mins east of me

Why did he end up buying new wheels? If it's because they didn't hold up or something, then the name of the shop is pretty irrelevant unless as a reference of where not to go.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:39 PM
not sure about toronto, but in wpg here its around 100bux to get a rim widened and cleaned up...

Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:45 PM
The shop did a great job, he just got bored I guess.......No luck yet on the name though
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search