Picked up a book at Performance Improvements.. - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Picked up a book at Performance Improvements..
Friday, March 25, 2005 8:40 PM
..the other day, "Your Guide to Legal Mods" Ontario edition. What's legal, not legal, how to avoid tickets and trial strategies. There's also a little info on the dreaded insurance. Small soft cover book, interesting info, some of it is pretty basic and common sense, some surprises. Might be of help to someone here, but it's $20!.

Re: Picked up a book at Performance Improvements..
Friday, March 25, 2005 8:54 PM
Why not give us a synopsis of the more interesting stuff or stuff we probably don't know...

Share the knowledge.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:32 AM
They should be GIVING that book out for free, not selling it.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, March 26, 2005 3:23 PM
I'm still wondering who the author/publisher is

Saturday, March 26, 2005 3:44 PM
The author is Mathew John, apparently a builder and a cop. They have a website, legalmods.com, but it's down for maintenance. The book is published by Legal Mods Publishing, ISBN 0-9737430-0-X. The only place I've seen it is at Performance Improvements.
One interesting thing is the insurance rate scale and the chart at the back to determine your car' s rating based on modifications. For example, things like cross drilled rotors give a +2, alarm +20, lowering springs -10, nitrous oxide -250. From there you add + and - mods, 0 being stock +50 extremely low risk, -300 extremely high risk.
See if the library has a copy, at $20 for 171 pages, you decide if it's worth it.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:10 PM
sounds very very useful, although, i cant help but wonder if this is just one man's opinion and his general knowledge... or if this is set in stone legal..

i notice you mentioned a section on fighting tickets.. meaning these arent the views held by every cop. just what this guy thinks

and where is this insurance info from? cause they all deny you once you have lowering springs... but if i have an alarm and different rotors, the math says the lowering springs are cancelled out...

just curious if this is the bible of moding....

its a good find tho... thanks for the info

***Thanks again to stargrrrl***
Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:20 PM
Yeah... what you just said about the insurance sounds like BS to me. Does it give any source info?

Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:29 PM
The modifications info, as far as the law is concerned, look to be legit, but the insurance chart turns out to be a proposed guide for insurance companies dealing with modified cars. I went back looking for references or a bilbiography, found the explanation of the insurance guide in the intro.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:48 PM
Ah. Nice. So it's written by an idiot then?

Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:54 PM
i feel a bit smarter for figuring it out

***Thanks again to stargrrrl***
Monday, March 28, 2005 9:19 AM
i live in barrie and i went by the local performance improvements and i was told they don't carry the book where can i find it ? this book sounds interesting...

Thanx.

Monday, March 28, 2005 1:48 PM
I found it at Performance Improvements on Kennedy in Scarborough.
Monday, March 28, 2005 9:32 PM
well im sure the geniouses at PI in barrie could get it if they tried or got off their chairs for once

Phil Thacker
JCO North President

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 8:24 AM
lmao ya thats what i figured but those guys really don't like me thought they hate my cav lmao oh well...

thanks anyway guys
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search