lowering my car!!! - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
lowering my car!!!
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 4:33 PM
hey guys im waiting on my set of koni reds to come in, to go with some eibacj sportlines.
my question is : how hard is the install? ive got most of the toold other an a spring compressor, or would i be better off paying sumone t do it for me?

Re: lowering my car!!!
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 4:44 PM
It really is an easy job. You can rent a spring compressor from Crappy Tire, but they are a pain without an air compressor.

I pay to have work done on my car. I'm too easily frustrated and spent too many hours screwing around for a day when i could just pick the car up in a few hours...finished and good to go.

I'm sure there will be a few J body drivers willing to help out. it's a good comunity.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 4:49 PM
i've got a little air compressor here with an impact and such, i just dont want to start this project and get myself in to deep.

Thursday, April 14, 2005 11:43 AM
where did u pick up a set of koni reds?

Thursday, April 14, 2005 11:46 AM
I know i'm gonna get jumped on for this.. but you don't need a spring compressor, just take an impact to the top bolt and there won't be much spring back, then get someone else to push down on the upper mount while you put the bolt back on.

and if you're mechanically inclined it shouldn' t be any more than an afternoon jobbie

15.69@86.670 - stock 99Z
Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:40 PM
Johnathon Broda wrote:where did u pick up a set of koni reds?

I think Marcor has what's left of them.

Thursday, April 14, 2005 2:14 PM
i got them from karo at carcustoms, so i dont need a spring compressor, or should i just go rent one and be safe?

Thursday, April 14, 2005 2:56 PM
for taking the rears off you really dont need a compressor at all...for the fronts if your worried you can remove that top nut while the car is still on the ground and as you raise the car the tension will come off the spring

putting the drop springs on you wont need the compressor either

Phil Thacker
JCO North President

Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:46 PM
I have a set of kyb's to install... so if there's gonna be an "install day" at someone's house i'll be in...

"Would you drop it already?!? I mean your car..."
Friday, April 15, 2005 9:05 AM
Koni's are alot harder to install than regular struts because they are just sleeves, not complete struts.

Friday, April 15, 2005 4:50 PM
agreed with the "don't REALLY need a spring compressor" idea... the only thing is the stock springs are a bit more torqued up then the aftermarket ones you'l put.. you might as well get those cheap clamp spring compressors for the front if you've never done it before and you're worried, just rent em at crappy tire.. as far as how hard the konis are.. well you do have to modify the stock strut and insert the shock in it.. that's just for the front.. it's not THAT bif of a deal.. actualy it's not a big deal at all... i've changed my stock struts to koni reds with goldline springs, and i've done 2 other lowering jobs on cars.. rreally not that big of a deal and so many ppl here have done it, so if you get problems while your doing it just come and post.. we can help!

www.gasted.com

Friday, April 15, 2005 4:54 PM
well as soon as the struts come in i'll get started on it, i dont have a torgue wrench, do i need to tighten these down to spec?
should i just pay the cash and be sure its done right?

Friday, April 15, 2005 5:51 PM
you're suposed to.. i have a torque wrench but didn't use it lol... i know about what torque is... i can get it pretty close just by hand.. as long as you can do that i woudln't worry about it... som ppl might cut me up for telling you this though.. my suspension's been on for a year and no probloems yet

www.gasted.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search