Question about Ontario insurance/registration laws - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about Ontario insurance/registration laws
Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:25 PM
I want to get a second car, a beater for a few hundred dollars, to modify and learn on. Basically the purpose is to increase my knowledge of repairing and modifying cars, which right now is almost zero, and I don't want to do anything to my good car because I can't risk breaking something and having to pay hundreds of dollars to get it repaired. The problem is, I absolutely cannot afford another $250 a month to insure another car. My question is, is there any way I can get a second car without having to insure it or register it? Obviously I would not drive it regularly, just repair it. But I would still have to drive it at least sometimes in order to test out my repair work. Is there some kind of permit that you can buy in order to drive an uninsured car, just for a very short amount of time, or is there some way to insure it for just a day?

Re: Question about Ontario insurance/registration
Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:48 PM
you can't do much...
when you buy the car you'll be given a couple of days to get a 10 day temp permit, during this time you can drive the car around. After that they won't give you another one (someone correct if i'm wrong) but after the temp permit is over and the car is not certified the title will either have to be changed to unfit under your name or you'll have to get it towed. If you can get it certified/e-tested illegally/legally then you can just put plates on it and buy insurance for it whenever you need it.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:58 PM
well good question i just started my new job with a major insurance company
and asked around for you.
buy the car call your insurance company put fire and theft on it. you do not need to have
safety/ e test at this point. then when ever you want get safety & e test done. call your insurance up you will have to prove that the car is road worthy i.e. safety slip. then insurance it for a 24 hour period ( shortest you can in ont ) thats it really.

fire and theft as a guide line is between $15-$50 a month usually $15

p.s. allways keep fire and theft it prevents you from dealing with the head aches you might get if you keep dropping the insurance.

or if you live in the middle of nowhere like me just boot up the back roads with an old plate on it

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Monday, October 10, 2005 9:58 AM
When you buy a car in Ontario, you are automatically covered by your current insurance company for 10 days minimum, on the new car. Its 30 days if you are with state farm. That gives you the chance to get it home, or to be saftied, etc. Ohter than that, you will need to plate it, and insure it
Monday, October 10, 2005 4:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search