STOP TRANSPORT CANADA - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
STOP TRANSPORT CANADA
Monday, February 05, 2007 5:34 PM
Okay guys, I was phooling around on the GTRCanada website, and they have info that Transport Canada (under the misdirection of the Conservative Minority Gov't ) wants to turn our 15 year exemption into a 25 year exemption in order to US-ify our importation laws.

This isn't right. The number of vehicles that are imported are few enough that they do not have an environmental impact, they are generally driven carefully on federal highways (read EVERY STREET) because of their cost, and provide income for several thousand Canadians.

Getting rid of this advantageous law to bring it in line with the US strictly to sate US Auto makers who don't want to design for our crash laws, is a really bad idea.

www.ivoac.ca or 15years.ca

Contact your local MP, and let them know that this is a really REALLY bad idea, and that simply turning the import ban to 25 years is not a solution, and that finding a better solution to provincial compliance requires more effort and work with the provinces.

Don't let them take away the right to drive what you want!!!

-Mods: I'm going to post this in Other Cars and in other Canadian regional forums, I'm giving warning now, and if it's not cool, we can delete the other posts. THANKS!

And now for something completely different... Click the Minister.

Re: STOP TRANSPORT CANADA
Monday, February 05, 2007 6:53 PM
So does that change your crash standards or just change how old the cars have to be?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Monday, February 05, 2007 8:41 PM
bull@!#$, this will prevent us from being able to import cars from japan and such.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Tuesday, February 06, 2007 5:21 AM
lol, I'm sitting at Transport Canada headquarters as I write this... lol
Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:49 AM
Umm... what's wrong with this?

Not being able to import certain cars is not going to hurt us at all. Sure, we all want to be able to import cool cars that don't meet our crash standards, but at the end of the day life goes on if we can't.

The law doesn't say you can't import them. It simply says you have to go through all sorts of procedures to ensure they meet our standards, right?

I wonder why this is even an issue though. I mean, just as I have no issue with this law... I also can't see how it's worth the time our gov't is going to spend in changing it.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 7:39 AM
its something for them to do and spend money on. if they can catch some flack for this it may take the attention off the ads they put out bashing stephan dion.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Tuesday, February 06, 2007 11:20 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:Umm... what's wrong with this?

Not being able to import certain cars is not going to hurt us at all. Sure, we all want to be able to import cool cars that don't meet our crash standards, but at the end of the day life goes on if we can't.

This is a blanket importation ban. Whereas now you can import a 15 year-old Skyline, Delica, Space Gear, or any number of European models, you will NOT be able to until they have passed a 25 year limit. Part of importation of a vehicle is providing crash-testers to TC for compliance testing, but, you need about oh, at a low, 4 vehicles, and you have to test for each model year. It's a serious PITA if you're not a manufacturer.

What you do now is pretty simple:
- Wait 15 years, and find a vehicle.
- Register the vehicle for importation with RIV as long as it is not listed on the ban list
- Get the Manufacturer's statement of completion of all safety recalls
- Get the sale documentation together
- Import the vehicle,
- Get it inspected,
- Register, insure and Plate the car.

What you would have to do if this is changed is not only wait 25 years, but you'd have to homologate to that year's crash standard, and good luck on finding parts while you're at it.

Quote:

The law doesn't say you can't import them. It simply says you have to go through all sorts of procedures to ensure they meet our standards, right?

Not precisely.

The importation limit is there for 2 reasons: 1, make sure that the cars cannot flood into our market on the cheap and displace north american ones, and 2. make sure that cars are safe to drive.

The problem is that "safe to drive" is interpreted 13 different ways in Canada... in other words, every province and territory has it's own standard. RIV basically states that you must get the car inspected "FOR IMPORTATION" to a spec that is set by Transport Canada. The problem arises when you get the car into your province, you have to get it inspected to provincial standard as well. Most people missed that, and in BC (the landing ports in other words) they'd get one inspection and off they went. BC is the prime Agitator in this issue, along with Quebec and Ontario.

Quote:

I wonder why this is even an issue though. I mean, just as I have no issue with this law... I also can't see how it's worth the time our gov't is going to spend in changing it.

The problem doesn't exist in law, it exists because some people in BC's Dept of Transportation didn't know enough to ask for provincial inspections. Instead of fixing this problem at the source, the easiest thing is to complain upwards.

On the links I provided, there is a fairly detailled explaination of the problem, but it will require a little digging. I'll try to find the exact discussion thread.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:56 PM
I should also make it known: It's a blanket ban on ALL non-North American manufactured vehicles.

Basically, you cannot import a vehicle that was not sold in North America as an import. If you wanted to bring in a Mitsubishi GTO, you could, but you'd need to homologate it to Canadian crash, lighting and emissions standards.

As it stands now, you can import it, and as long as it is not a wrecked vehicle, stolen and has completed all it's recall campaigns, it can be brought into Canada as long as it passes federal and provincial inspection, subsequent to exportation inspection. The EASIEST way to get a car in, is from Germany... Their inspections are at least as rigorous, and the TUV's crash standards are similar to Canada's. It's one of the reasons German vehicles get in pretty easily.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 7:03 PM
I don't care about this, I only buy GM and always will, if import owners want their imports so bad they'll have to pay more for causing trouble to domestic manufacturers. Protecting our roads with Cdn safety standards and protecting the employment of 700,000 subsidery jobs from our autosector is what is important.
Wednesday, February 07, 2007 10:01 PM
Jacob B wrote:I don't care about this, I only buy GM and always will, if import owners want their imports so bad they'll have to pay more for causing trouble to domestic manufacturers. Protecting our roads with Cdn safety standards and protecting the employment of 700,000 subsidery jobs from our autosector is what is important.

Have you been to the Honda plant in Alliston lately ?...

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:46 AM
Jacob B wrote:I don't care about this, I only buy GM and always will, if import owners want their imports so bad they'll have to pay more for causing trouble to domestic manufacturers. Protecting our roads with Cdn safety standards and protecting the employment of 700,000 subsidery jobs from our autosector is what is important.

#1: You're talking less than 10,000 vehicles TOTAL per year.
#2: You have no idea what you're talking about. Manufacturers see precisely ZERO off a used car sale. The jobs have been protected with the original sale. That's EVERY manufacturer US, Japanese, European, whatever.
#3: These cars are at least as safe as the next car on the road: THEY'VE GONE THROUGH 3 INSPECTIONS, and if they're European imports, they're more than likely going to be rust free because there are minimum corrosion standards in Europe, unlike North America. If you're buying from Japan, they are not eligible for export them unless they're auction grade 2 or better.

Acquaint yourself with the facts before you post another assinine and ill-informed post.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:59 AM
That was one seriously misguided and misinformed comment.

I remember reading a remark in the Star about one of those Daewoo Chevy's having a bumper sticker that said "buy domestic".

Thursday, February 08, 2007 8:13 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:That was one seriously misguided and misinformed comment.

I remember reading a remark in the Star about one of those Daewoo Chevy's having a bumper sticker that said "buy domestic".

I've seen those on Aveo's and Optras, yeah.

I wonder if I would have protected more domestic jobs by buying a Toyota Corolla, rather than my mexican built Sunfire...

Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:17 AM
Its awesome because even in Korea Daewoo's were treated like the lowest form of scum out there ...

Hyundai > Kia > Daewoo

As for this issue ... considering Ive imported cars ... Ill help GAM Fight the Power.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:18 PM
Awright....

I'll be Chuck D.

Monday, March 12, 2007 4:17 AM
Nothing... what, I'm too white?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search