winnipeg j-bodies - Page 24 - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: winnipeg j-bodies
Monday, January 21, 2008 9:49 AM
stevefire wrote:I guess you don't need a straight cut 5th eh.

I wouldn't mind a set for my isuzu!

5th is straight cut as well, just didnt mention it. They are nice, bout loud and really notchy unless your banging gears all the time.

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:50 AM
and steve if your serious about doing straight cut in the trans, its about $300-350 per gear.

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:28 PM
I'm always serious about it, just never enough funding

honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with super whiny gears, for how often I actually drive the fire.

@!#$ I wish I had more cashflow!!

Monday, January 21, 2008 5:30 PM
does that price include cryo-treating?

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:20 PM
stevefire wrote:does that price include cryo-treating?

yup. my gears were actually shot peened and then cryo-treated

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:07 PM
so tempting.....

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:22 PM
my question is, how much horsepower can these tranny's hold?? anything over 300whp on street tires isn't useful under 100 km/h, and anything you do at a track the weak point is the diff. Why not spend the money on a good diff?

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:39 PM
ge_forcez22 wrote:my question is, how much horsepower can these tranny's hold?? anything over 300whp on street tires isn't useful under 100 km/h, and anything you do at a track the weak point is the diff. Why not spend the money on a good diff?

mine held up with 400hp, 5psi launches, and 10" wide slicks on the front after i got all the bugs worked out of it , of course that was launching on a prepped road vs a track but.

the stock getrag did not last very long

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:27 PM
I will agree the rock crushers were really strong, but the gears were also cut really thick. When dealing with most of the gears in our tranny's, they have more surface area, and the gears themselves are likely stronger.

Weird that your tranny didn't last, I have almost 60k boosted on my tranny, seems to be fine still. And they have been really tough miles, lol. What part exactly did you break on your tranny?? Syncros or diff, cause seriously I doubt it was the gears themselves.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:39 PM
ge_forcez22 wrote:I will agree the rock crushers were really strong, but the gears were also cut really thick. When dealing with most of the gears in our tranny's, they have more surface area, and the gears themselves are likely stronger.

Weird that your tranny didn't last, I have almost 60k boosted on my tranny, seems to be fine still. And they have been really tough miles, lol. What part exactly did you break on your tranny?? Syncros or diff, cause seriously I doubt it was the gears themselves.

broke the input shaft, when i took it apart, i noticed first gear had a crack in it and second gear was looking pretty @!#$ty as well. Now if that was from launching, or if it was all from the input shaft breaking then i dont know. Before that happened i broke the diff (took two teeth off of the ring) but it also had 12X,XXXkm's of fairly hard driving. New trans was all shot peened/cry-treated and never had an issue.

the car always launched hard as hell off the two step with my slicks, street tires at 100-120 on the hwy if i passed someone i had to be careful, too much throttle and i was leaving rubber down.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:56 PM
if I had the cash to afford his transmission (which I dont, and I dont even have a platform FOR the tranny), I would definitely be investing in a real LSD.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:41 AM
I've got my rear disk swap for sale in the suspension section if anyone is interested.

15.3 @ 89.97mph - '01 SFGT
'98 Acura 1.6EL Sport 5M Y7/Y8 mini me
Friday, February 01, 2008 11:09 AM
Bump for my rear disk swap FS!

15.3 @ 89.97mph - '01 SFGT
'98 Acura 1.6EL Sport 5M Y7/Y8 mini me
Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:27 AM
pretty sad that all we get is one @!#$ thread, and all of Ontario gets the rest of this section.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:22 PM
hahaha our J scene is going outta style.. i just cant wait for summer already my cars been outta action for 6 months already i've been tempted to bring it out already and drive it...

------
Monday, February 11, 2008 5:35 AM
ikon wrote:hahaha our J scene is going outta style.. i just cant wait for summer already my cars been outta action for 6 months already i've been tempted to bring it out already and drive it...

X2. Can't wait till summer. I have some parts sitting in my attic waiting to be installed. Sadly, i need to drive my red cav during the winter after i lost the white cav .
Monday, February 11, 2008 4:58 PM
Anyone know of a good cheap 3rd gen shell kicking around? I've got the urge to build a daily driver 3rd gen cav! I kinda miss mine now that its gone Not sure what it is but i like the styling of them lol

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:16 PM
Justin_Inc wrote:Anyone know of a good cheap 3rd gen shell kicking around? I've got the urge to build a daily driver 3rd gen cav! I kinda miss mine now that its gone Not sure what it is but i like the styling of them lol

Try mpi auction. You can usually pick one up for $400-$900 depending on the damage.
Friday, February 15, 2008 8:22 AM
Cavalier's with colin right now

Getting the following done:

Pulling transmission
Replace Slave Cylinder (god dammit, didnt last 2k kms)
Install 900lbs springs into Phantom Grip LSD
Replace bearings in transmission
Replace coast gear (or whatever is making the noise when i slow down)
Replace pass. side axel again (4th or 5th one now...)

Cant wait

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:03 AM
how the @!#$ hell do you kill so many axles? Its a basically stock 2.2 OHV LOL! i drove the @!#$ out of my stock 2.4 and never killed axles!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:37 PM
by any chance, does anyone have a set of control arm bushings kicking around? I did the drivers side and now the passenger side one wore out and the car pulls and tugs all over the road, and makes some wicked clunking noises.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:35 PM
ge_forcez22 wrote:by any chance, does anyone have a set of control arm bushings kicking around? I did the drivers side and now the passenger side one wore out and the car pulls and tugs all over the road, and makes some wicked clunking noises.

i've got some poly ones for sale, 20bux.... just thrown it out there

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:42 AM
thanks man, I have a set at home too, but with the holiday shipping takes forever, I also posted in the AB forums, hpoefully someone in calgary has some, my tires are eating some hardcore A$$ right now, good thing I have my winters on

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:04 AM
yeah i think the fact that my engine is sitting funny is causing excess pressure on the axel, causing it to fail prematurely, and because its sitting funny, the boot hits the bottom of the strut, and tears a bit

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:25 PM
Justin_Inc wrote:Anyone know of a good cheap 3rd gen shell kicking around? I've got the urge to build a daily driver 3rd gen cav! I kinda miss mine now that its gone Not sure what it is but i like the styling of them lol

I have a 3rd gen shell if you wanna buy it. it's stripped right down. no interior, bumpers, fenders, hood, powertrain. it has all the glass still in and the wireing harness for a 2.4 is in there. would make a good super stock project. hehe. let me know if you are interested in it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search